308 For Sale in MI | FerrariChat

308 For Sale in MI

Discussion in '308/328' started by Hockeyfan, Apr 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2008
    Hello,

I also posted this in the regional (MI) thread, so please forgive the cross-post, but I thought I'd ask on this thread. Any info or input would be greatly appreciated.

Is anybody familiar with this car and/or it's history.

Primary Information about this vehicle:
    AT Car ID: AT-E470393
    Close

AT Car ID
    Return to this vehicle quickly by searching with its AutoTrader.com Car ID (or, "AT Car ID").
    Price $34,900
    Mileage 48,000
    Body Style Convertible
    Exterior Color Red
    Interior Color Tan
    Engine 8 Cylinder Gasoline
    Transmission 5 Speed Manual
    Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear
    Fuel Type Gasoline
    Doors Two Door
    Stock No. 2941
    VIN ZFFMA13A0D0047819

It is currently at Prestige Motors in Grand Rapids.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi,

I actually spoke to the Sales Manager somewhat at length about this car (I'm a little embarrassed to say that his name escapes me ---Phil Lacari? I think). Anyway, the story is, as I remember it is that the car was put on blocks for a number of years and Prestige got and did a major on it around 1 1/2 years ago. Phil actually faxed me the service record of this event, and the car has been drive very little if at all since this time. I spoke to my friend, Steve (328GTS) on this forum and his impression was essentially as follows: sitting on blocks, in Michigan, 1983 car = no rust protection, BEWARE! If you do have a strong interest in this car, I really believe that you first need to get a good look at it in person, or have one of the fine fellows from this site who might be in proximity to the car scope it for you, and then, if everthing checks out on the visual and such, PPI the little temptress. It good be a pretty good car, but I wasn't too keen on its overall background...and it was too far away from me to really do my due dilligence on. Anyway...I hope this helps.

My best,

Scott

3. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I lived in Michigan for many years, which is probably why I live in Arizona now. I like to tell the story of a friend who went down to Alabama in 1977 and bought a perfect 1966 Pontiac GTO. He brought it back in the summer and put it in a barn. He never opened the barn doors until the following spring. By then, the car was rusty. The fender wells were all crusty, and most fasteners were red. Michigan has such high humidity that you don't even have to drive a car on salty roads to get ugly. I did a quick AutoCheck on the 308 in this thread, and it has been in Michigan for more than 10 years. I don't know what the car looks like underneath or inside the frame, just be careful, and don't take the owner's word for it. When I lived there, people's definition of "no rust" was that you couldn't put your fist through the frame. My apologies to PizzaMan, but you really don't want to get into a project like this if you don't have to: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192883&highlight=rust

Steve

4. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2008
    Thanks for the input.

The major has been done and the story on the car is consistent regarding the history; so at least their story is straight.

Who in the area could do a PPI on the car? It seems like the place that is selling it is the only service point for these kind of cars.

I have been told to look behind the front/rear wheels and along the bottom of the doors.

What concerns me is that I've been told that it has been freshly undercoated; they could be covering something up.

Even with undercoat though, you should be able to tell if there is a structural issue unless they do a really good cover-up job.

I really appreciate the input; I guess it comes down to the conditions the car was stored under.

5. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Fresh undercoat = walk away, period. Nobody does that unless it looks ugly there already, and it's one more chore to remove it. Undercoat at a dealership serves no other purpose than to hide rust and make it look pretty. Unless it is really cheap or you want a bit of a project, forget this car. :(

6. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2008
    Is it still a waste of time and money to do a PPI? (If I can find someone)

It doesn't make a lot of sense why they would tell me that they were undercoating the car though; if you wanted to hide something then you probably just wouldn't mention it. Really strange I think, especially when they did the major service last summer. You would think that if there were significant rust issues you would have tried to patch it up then, no?

I haven't seen the car in person yet and I am obviously skeptical.

7. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    If you are interested in the car do a PPI. Undercoating does not necessarily mean they are covering something up. We can all speculate on the car's condition over the internet without having seen the car, but there is no substitute for having a professional look at the car and give you a professional experience. At the right price it could be a great car. The question is, what is the "right price".

8. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2008
    Agreed.

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in the area who can provide a PPI?

I am interested in the car, but I obviously dont want to buy something with some huge issues!

Thanks to everyone who has given input; it's greatly appreciated by a rookie like me.

Has anybody seen this car in person?

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You could get a fair idea of the rust situation by removing an interior door panel and taking a careful look around inside. This may or may not be an option for you. There are clues that one can pick up on if you know what to look for.

10. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Hockeyfan -- a lot of these dealers who slag exotics are as dumb and hands-off as a lot of the people who buy them.

To get started, you don't need a PPI yet; ask the dealer to take pictures of the undercarriage, trunk, etc. Ask for specifics such as the exhaust hangers, the inside of the lower edge of the doors, the bottoms of the front fenders looking up from the rocker panel, etc. If the car is nice, they will get on their knees with a digital camera and take the pictures. If the pictures are blurry, or if they won't do it, then that car is best left for someone else who would never know the difference. There is no excuse for incompetence or refusal to perform here. Any dealer or reseller who won't do this is either hiding something or didn't inspect the car that thoroughly themselves, and/or isn't knowledgeable enough to do so. . . . or they are just poor salesmen. But a shocking number of dealers are either so unknowledgeable or uninvolved with the cars that they don't know their own cars that well, or pretend to.

So ask them for some detailed pictures, and if they act like you are out of line, then wish them good luck and keep looking. If they oblige and give you some nice clear shots, then great! Time to move to the next step -- PPI? There are tons of 308s for sale; no need to latch on to this one.

On another thread in this forum, someone made a comment about there only being a few pictures of a car on an eBay listing, and that that was not enough to go on. The same thing goes for this situation as for that one: Well duh, ask the seller for more pictures!

11. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2008
    Thanks. You're certainly right and I appreciate the input. I'm going to email them today and ask for them to take the pictures and send them to me. I've looked pretty hard for an 83-85 308 and there doesn't seem to be a ton of cars out there. If this one doesn't work out, I'll just be patient and keep looking.

Any recommendations of who can do a PPi if the pictures look OK?

Thanks again,

12. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    PM sent
    Jon in GR

13. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2008
    PM's responded to.

Thanks Guys,

This is an unbeliveable community of great people willing to help.

Please keep the help and advice coming, it's invaluable.

If anybody is looking to sell their 308qv, please send me a PM as well.

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
  15. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2008
    Thanks Jeff,

Will do.

I would like to find something soon, but I know you have to be patient to find the right car.

16. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2008
    Nobody seems to know the car in Michigan. I will probably be passiing on that one; it seems like there are a lot nicer cars out there.

Thanks to those who have PM'd me.

I hope I can put something together soon; I'm sure I will be leaning on the people here for help.

Thanks.

17. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    So a funny thing happened on the way to the archives today: I ran across a post for my own car! Hahahahaha
    It may be a 14 year-old thread, but I thought those involved - especially @Hockeyfan - would get a kick out of the next chapter in the saga.
    But first: glad you finally found your 308 Hockeyfan!
    While its journey is spelled-out in the CarFax report, 47819 found a fantastic new SoCal owner just seven weeks after the previous post in this thread. It is now "living its best life" - as the youths say - in the PNW after being purchased from that owner via BAT in late 2019.
    The 308 currently has 56,XXX miles and I'm attempting to honor the investment and obvious care the PO put into this car. It retains its as-born appearance and equipment (as best I can tell) and two separate, well-respected indie shops have said the car was well-cared for and is in great shape for a driver; despite concerns to the contrary earlier in this thread.
    The 18-year gap in the CarFax history remains a mystery though which I'd love to solve. If anyone has knowledge of 47819 between 1990 and 2008, I'd love to hear from you. As a reminder, it's an '83 Rosso Corsa/Tan GTS and was most likely residing in the Michigan/Illinois/Indiana/Ohio area.
    Dave W.