308 GT4 heater controls | FerrariChat

308 GT4 heater controls

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RWDOMKR, Dec 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWDOMKR

RWDOMKR Karting

Aug 18, 2004
    Stockton, CA USA
    Full Name:
    RWDOMKR
    Greetings!!!

I have found that the passenger side heater / defroster control switch in my '75 GT4 has become disconnected just back of the panel. Does anybody have any advice on the disassembly / reassembly of the panel itself from the dash / gauge cluster?? Many thanks in advance....

2. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My "77 GT4 had the same problem when I got it. I ended up unbolting the dash panels (small black bolts on the panel face) then pulled the panels out enough to access the back of the heater lever assembly. Be forewarned, the aluminum dash faces mar VERY easily and should be protected with some painter's tape or something similar.

IIRC, the center section overlaps the "wing" sections so it needs to be pulled back towards the steering wheel first. You won't be able to get very good access but it will be enough to adjust the cable. It is most likely that the clip holding the cable's outter sheath has come loose allowing the inner and outter parts of the cable to move as one. It helps if you remove the plastic cover over the heaters under the front hood and un-attach that end of the cable to give you some slack to work with. Straightening any kinks in the cable and a little lube before you button it up will help too.

Good luck and have some Band-Aids ready, sharp metal behind the dash.

3. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
    Related issue. Working on my controls I broke one of the bolts that clasp the cable wire to the control lever. Trying to make sure the wire was tight I sheared the bolt in two. Where can I get a replacement? Here is the bolt, M6 x 15mm with hole for the wire: Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Go buy a similar bolt and drill a hole with a cobalt bit. Done

EastMemphis likes this.