308 GT4 Oil Radiator Failure Replacement / Repair | FerrariChat

308 GT4 Oil Radiator Failure Replacement / Repair

Discussion in '308/328' started by robertgarven, May 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #1 robertgarven, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    friends,

I was reading another post last night about a oil radiator repair and thought gee Im glad mine has held up so well over the years. My wife says look at all the oils drips in the driveway, and I say,"Well that must be someone who turned around as my car did not have one leak under it when I drove it earlier. I was showing max on my dipstick after the drive which is low for me when i checked it as I usually run an extra quart. Anyway I go look under my car and I was aghast that I had allot of oil leakage.

Here are some pics. It looks like I was getting some oil leakage from my valve cover near my cam seal rear exhaust also. We are blessed with cool weather almost all year but drove to Ojai yesterday and it was about 90 which is hot for us and I pretty much put the car through its paces. I am thinking the heat was too much for my oil cooler and also was the first time the car had been hot since I worked on it.

I looked up the part and it is NLA 106965 and looks like it SS to a new part 145712. Has anyone had experience replacing this. I got my old one out which was a mess even after draining the oil. I just dont want to have to do allot of modifications. Looks like this original one had a tab cut off on the bottom. I can't figure out how this works as the tubes look so thin?

Anyway I started a new thread so I can go back and search for it after I have forgot what I did. Would like to hear some advice comments or suggestions.

As Always Thank in Advance for any comment or suggestions.... I thought I had this all wrapped up..........

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    My only comment is Bummer, Rob. I hope you find the parts you need quickly. Are you looking for a new or used part?

3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I learned this was the original manufacturer of the early Ferrari oil radiators. The one bracket was cut off for different installations. I found a reasonable replacement and when it arrives will post pictures. Not sure if I need to replace the top hose as it is the oldest the lower one I replaced later and a GT4 SS hose kinked so i ended up using one off a GTS if I remember correctly.

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #4 robertgarven, May 23, 2012
    Friends,

The original radiator is NLA and the SS one I could not locate. I found a reasonably priced replacement one at GT Car parts. It just arrived, it may fit the later 308's but not the GT4. Now I have no idea what to do now as I do not want to go the non stock route.

Does anyone know of a place I could have mine repaired rebuilt?? Boy I am bummed. I thought this was going to be a simple fix.......

I found I think the one last rubber upper radiator hose left in the US at FOD. Now and nowhere to hook it up too!

Rob

5. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Try the heavy machine shops such as Strongco Case. They make hoses on the spot and can custom rebuild / make coolers.

6. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Hi Robert,

Superformance are selling a cooler which may work - it looks non stock but I would guess is something thay a have had made up & that would fit. They have it with a part number of 145712 (look under 308, "Engine General")

At the same time Ferrariparts.co.uk are also showing availability of that part # & that it fits a GT4

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I am sorry but I have cross pollenated this thread....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141478162#post141478162

For those who are interested.

For newbies thinking of buying any old ferrari... When I bought my car any part was available. Now even the most basic mechanical parts are near impossible to find. I imagine its only going to get worse from here on..........

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #8 robertgarven, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    Friends,

I found an unbelievable place in LaVerne, CA, Pacific Oil Cooler.

http://www.oilcoolers.com/

http://www.oilcoolers.com/overhaul_process.asp

They mainly repair vintage WW II aircraft but also make custom radiators etc. Anyway they fixed my radiator. I now cannot decide what to do as I have a new radiator from GT Car Parts and also have a new shroud which a good friend and metal fabricator is adapting to fit the larger size cooler. Should I use the original one or replace it with the newer one. The old one was tested and certified by an FAA inspector.

I would highly recommend them. Wayne there was the greatest and there service and attention to detail is unbelievable!

Last week I thought I had no options this week I have a smorgasbord......

Will post pics when i get a chance.

Rob

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks for posting this up. I see they also do custom fabrication of oil coolers. Sounds like we have a potential source to get ours duplicated if we really tear them up. Good news for all of us.

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #10 robertgarven, Jun 3, 2012
    Dear Friends,

I just thought I would post some pics of the repaired cooler. I came with a 15 item FAA checklist!!! On a side note I got a ride in a T6 yesterday and saw a T6 radial engine with a cooler they restored too! It looks like the tube failed near the connection. I always use 2 wrenches.

Rob

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #11 robertgarven, Jun 14, 2012
    Friends,

I think I am going to use my original cooler because it will take a bit of time to get my new shroud in shape and painted. I have a new hose which is probably one of the last in the US, which is sad. It is so stiff that I am worried that it will place too much pressure on the cooler. I was going to set it in the sun on the dashboard of my car to get it very warm before installing.

I was wondering do any of you suggest any anti seize etc on the threads since the hose is steel and the cooler aluminum?

My metal fabricator buddy cut off the bottom and added the new bottom bit mimicking the original design elements. The shroud was pretty beat up and wondering whether i should hammer out the bumps instead of building up the surface which I already did. Not sure it will show much with the wrinkle paint but like to do a good job.

12. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Personally, I put a small dab of anti-sieze on most threaded items. Great work, Robert. It all looks really good.