308 GT4 restoration, hillclimb + video | FerrariChat

308 GT4 restoration, hillclimb + video

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gavin Rooke, Dec 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gavin Rooke

Gavin Rooke Rookie

May 26, 2020
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Gavin Rooke
    I’ve finally summarised the restoration process of my ‘74 Dino GT4, including a trip through South Africa to compete in the 2021 Simola Hillclimb challenge. A short video below (sound on!) followed by an overview of the process for those that may be interested.

First off - I’m relatively familiar with rebuilding classic Porsches but I’m new to Ferrari, so please excuse my naivety within a community of Ferrari lovers. It was the ‘un-Ferrari’ Gandini wedge that led me into this obsession. Am I alone in this?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

How it started.

Ironically, I bought my GT4 whilst on the hunt for an project air-cooled 911 in July 2020. A local used-Ferrari dealer occasionally offers 911 trade-ins, so I popped in to take a look. No suitable 911s, but amid the Pininfarina curves sat a chrome-edged, dust-covered wedge that took me by surprise. I did not know the GT4 even existed, let alone having seen one in the flesh.

The car was previously owned for 40-odd years by an elderly gent who’d reluctantly moved into a retirement village (no space for the GT4).

The car was fundamentally original and appeared to be in good shape aside from some neglected upkeep. After research to confirm VIN/Engine matching number status and a brief test drive, my offer of R635,000 (U$40,8k) was accepted. I was fortunate given timing (mid-Covid wave #1) and the fact that the dealer had mistakenly identified the model year as ‘78. I was drawn to the fact that the car was a ‘74 given the weight saving and simpler aesthetics, and my view that first series’ collectible vehicles potentially hold their value well. Incidentally, my car is badged as a Ferrari and carried 14” Chromodoras at the time (now in storage). More about that later.

After driving the car for a short while, I took the decision to enter her into South Africa’s Knysna Simola Hillclimb - an annual event that attracts local and international entrants who race classic and contemporary cars up a 1.9km mountain pass.

The 308 GT is not an ideal sprint car, but I specifically planned to drive the car to and from the event with my wife (a 3000-odd km journey through a semi-arid Karoo desert).

This was of course met with questioning looks from my friends…

Original or Restomod?

What remained was to prepare for the lengthy journey and race.

I initially toyed with the idea of upgrading the 308 into a restomod of sorts (something I’m familiar with as part of my 911 endeavours) but soon realised that whilst the modular nature of early 911s allow for such tinkering & ‘accepted’ upgrading, Ferraris are significantly more model-specific. I sense that any major deviation in Ferrari-world risks mongrel status and is perhaps more suited to the adventurous & financially disinclined.

I also have a fairly rational view of ‘performance’ in as much as it can become pointless trying to squeeze degrees of performance out of early exotic cars for the sake of partial seconds at an annual hillclimb event (and still leave you shy of a VW Polo).

Mechanicals - all mechanicals.

The body and interior of my 308 were in original shape so the focus fell on ensuring all mechanicals would be 100% to get us through the trip & up the hillclimb at terminal velocity.

Paint-wise the car had received a previous blow-over at some stage and all panels were good with no rust to speak of (thanks to the SA climate). The side mirrors were aftermarket, removed and holes filled. In keeping with the early cars, I briefly attempted to drive the car without side mirrors...Not viable.

The seats, carpets and headliner are factory original but I sense the dash had been redone approx 15 years back (but even this now carries that glorious patina that gives a classic car an indescribable ‘feel’). There is a small tear in the driver’s seat that I decided not to repair to avoid re-covering all seats and losing the 48-year-old feel. I believe the most challenging aspect of a faithful restoration is the interior.

With the help of Pablo Clark Racing (a Johannesburg-based Ferrari racing workshop) we then set about a thorough mechanical restoration. Not surprisingly this turned out to be more extensive than hoped for, but my view is that the GT4 is an appreciating model so the restoration investment should be a safe bet.

The restoration process took on/off 10 months - with a few driving gaps in between to flush out any further issues and countless ‘we’ve come this far, so why stop here’ decisions.

The full rebuild list is included at the end of this note for those that may be interested, but basically included rebuilding each and every mechanical part on the car (including smaller components like indicator stalks and door locks). This may seem extreme, but my view is that a ‘near perfect GT4’ is fully usable and a safe bet in terms of investment (thumbs held..).

In summary, the cost for all parts, duties, consumables and labour came to $34,5k making my all-in investment $75k for what is now arguably a ‘concours-level’ car. To be clear, I’m not a fan of concours and prefer to use the term 'original’ or at least ‘very clean’.

My one obvious deviation from the original spec is the 16” gold 5-spoke wheels - to which we added custom spacing to get the perfect fill of the wheel arches. My rationale for this is less that the car handles better in the twisties - but more the fact that it now looks like the illegitimate love-child of a Lancia Stratos’ one-night stand with a Lamborghini Countach. If you're from Pretoria, the term 'zef' would be appropriate too :)

Testing, testing

Once finally complete, we fitted a removable harness bar and undertook some public track-day testing prior to setting off for the hillclimb to flush out any unforeseen issues, check setup and to get a sense of what happens when a GT4 loses things mid-corner.

Despite my best attempts, I never managed to get her sideways but four laps in the temp skyrocketed due to an airlock in the rebuilt cooling system (quickly sorted). We also discovered a mystery flat spot at 4000 RPM, eventually attributed to the venturis having been widened by the previous owner. Original venturies were fitted and we were ready to roll.

Putting the Grand back into Grand Tourer.

Our 1,500km journey to Knysna literally ran without fault and the GT more than lived up to its ‘Grand Tourer’ moniker, cruising effortlessly at an average of 130km/h (and 'sipping' fuel at approx 11,5L/100km). She lost a few pints of oil (due in hindsight to us using too thin a viscosity).

To those that are hesitant to try this, the GT is incredibly comfortable to drive on long trips, bettering any classic vehicle I’ve driven in. The seating position and air conditioning is sublime (my wife will attest) and there is something indescribable about flooring a Ferrari on a long desert highway as the sun sets.

The 2021 Simola Hillclimb

We entered the ‘pre-85 road car’ category comprising mostly road-licensed racing cars with road tyres. Our 15 car competitor lineup included the likes of lightweight modified 911 Porsches, 8.8L Shelby Cobras and V8 MGB Sebrings - so we were somewhat outclassed pace-wise from the get go.

But the GT4 did surprisingly well placing 5th in class across 15 entries - with a best time of 57,19’ sec up the 1.9km run. This was both respectable and placed just ahead of the V8 Sebring MG. For those that are tempted, I found that the only way to get respectable times was to keep her in 3rd and floor her all the way up to 7200 RPM through the stretches and corners alike. The GT4 could take double the amount of power and not lose footing - and the 308 motor loves revs...

We celebrated, packed up our kit and set off back to Johannesburg the next morning - with yet again a faultless journey home.

How it's going.

I’m familiar with receiving positive responses from the general public when driving an old 911, but nothing compares to the positive response I get in the GT4. In South Africa she's truly exotic - but I sense that the GT4 sits within a that rare perfect trifecta of ‘Ferrari’ and ‘Classic’ and 'What is that ??'. The smiles and waves are endlessly rewarding. I'm also gathering increasing responses from Ferrari owners starting to admit to the fact that 'they've always liked the GT4'.

In closing, I would not be comfortable driving a new Ferrari (and doubtlessly any new Porsche too) and will hands-down choose my GT4 over any number of ‘more desirable’ Ferraris in the extensive contemporary model lineup.

This car has truly stolen my heart!

Summary of works done:

I'm happy to answer any queries. There are literally hundreds of smaller bits we restored along the way.
    //

Motor rebuild + all seals, gaskets, manifolds, filters, pumps, pipes, you name it…

Ignition rebuild ( I kept the original dual ignition)

Full carburettor (+ new kit) rebuild

Full Suspension rebuild (springs, bushes, Koni dampers)

Required electrical rebuild (including stalks and the odd guage)

Steering rebuild (I went for the fast rack and medium spacer)

Full Braking rebuild (discs, calipers, pads, master cylinders, hoses etc)

Fuel system rebuild (including rebuilt tanks & pumps)

Full cooling system rebuild (including new radiator)

AC system rebuild

Various smaller mechanical (my locks gave out)

Side mirror delete

Removable 4-point harness bar

4 x 16” 5-spoke wheel (Superformance) with custom spacing

I ultimately went for the standard 16” 5-spoke rims from Superformance after struggling to justify the cost of lighter magnesium coffin spokes. The wheel change was also due to very limited 14” Tyre availability (my Chromodoros are in storage).

NoGoSlow, kiwiokie and JC1720 like this.