308 GT4 seatbelt removal | FerrariChat

308 GT4 seatbelt removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by McGyverNC, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. McGyverNC

McGyverNC Rookie

Nov 15, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Anthony A.
    Both of my front belts won't pull out correctly without locking. Is there a way to lubricate the internals or do I have to remove them to do it on the workbench? If so how does one remove them as there is only one bolt for each and very hard to reach them? Each belt is down inside a square steel box below the B pillar in the floor!

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    McGyverNC

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    It is a common issue on 308/328 seat belt retractors. There is a spring that holds back a lock arm. The spring has always been very close to locking with extension. As it weakens even the slightest, it becomes very bothersome. I have dismantled them and adjusted the spring on extreme cases. If you can pull the belt out very slowly without it catching, then a spring adjustment may help. If you go too far, the belt won't lock in a crash. DON'T GO TOO FAR.

3. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I haven't had any problems with the seat belt retractors in my GT4 but I do have similar problems with the seat belt retractors in my 1999 Ford Ranger pickup (now approaching 250K miles!!!). About every 5-6 years I have to unbolt the retractors, pull the belt out as far as possible and then clean out the accumulated dust and dirt out of the ratcheting mechanism. It gets enough dirt in there that the retracting spring gets overcome with so much drag that it won't pull the belt back in without several jerks on the belt.
    If you do take your retractor apart don't attempt to clean it with solvent, no more than mild soap and water, solvent can weaken the belt material. Washing the belt itself can make them fresh and clean like new. It is amazing how much dirt, sweat and grime gets in them.

4. McGyverNC

McGyverNC Rookie

Nov 15, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Anthony A.

5. McGyverNC

McGyverNC Rookie

Nov 15, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Anthony A.
    I would be very happy to find the secret just to remove the belt retractor so that I may try to clean it and/or possibly replace it altogether. I've found a supplier that makes them to the OE specs and also has many colors to choose from. I have spoken to many salvage yards but since they don't resell the seatbelts they leave them in to crush what is left. A sad state of recycling!!

Thanks for any help here....

6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    The retractor is held in place by a single bolt but it is on the lower side of the retractor so you cannot see it when installed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. McGyverNC

McGyverNC Rookie

Nov 15, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Anthony A.
    Thanks everyone with advice and I did remove the first one today.
    Now, do the plastic side covers come off easily or will they break? I understand about washing with soap and warm water but if I can;t get inside or adjust the 'spring' what other way is there? Throw the whole thing into the bathtub?
    BTW, sure hope I don't have to repeat this every few years, what a pain!! I'll run ou of beer!

8. Bryan Saba

Bryan Saba Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bryan Saba

Hello - How were you able to get access to the retractor? I can only find a bolt inside each pocket where the belt disappears below to the retractor.

9. McGyverNC

McGyverNC Rookie

Nov 15, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Anthony A.
    Good news Bryan,
    You found the only bolt holding the retractor down in the hole. Since all seatbelt bolts are mostly US bolts, the heads are 11/16". The back seat needs to be removed, and the foam pad under each end on the floor needs to be raised inwards about 7". Doing this will reveal a curve going down and under the retractor. You will need all 3/8" sockets and swivel joints to access the bolt head. It is a right hand thread with a longer round nose on it for easier access when reinstalling it. It is also easiest to have all the webbing pulled out and clamped to do the R&R of the assembly.
    I wish I could tell you more but haven't spent much time at my shop thanks to the Corona virus, NOT the Corona beer! How to clean it and bend the spring is totally unknown so far, so please tell me if you can and how you did it.

GOOD LUCK accomplishing this activity!!

10. Bryan Saba

Bryan Saba Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bryan Saba

Sir, Than ks for the information, The problem is I have a rear seat delete car. I reach down in the "bucket", following the belt....there's a small bolt there, I removed it but it didn't free up anything. I need to remove the sides, to get to the belt retractors, but cant see where to start as I see no bolts/screws anywhere.