308 GT4 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308 GT4

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by BERTONE, Sep 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    On the subject of wheels, there are a set of original Campagnolo 14" Dino wheels for sale at www.verdiferrari.biz and look under parts and accessories.
    Could anyone tell me if they would fit the GT4 which currently has fitted the 5 spoke 14" wheels!

2. Mr Iceman

Mr Iceman Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Brtone, you have a P.M.

Cheers
    Scotty

3. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Scott
    Great pics! - I have mailed you... I know what you mean about the 70's look on the 14" wheels.

Bertone
    The Dino wheels at Verdi are 8.5" Campagnolos, as opposed to the "standard" Dino (246 and 308) 6.5" Cromodoras. But I guess if they fit a 246 they should fit a 308...I've not seen a 308 on a set of them.

Decisions, decisions...!

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Mr. Iceman,

I LOVE your wallpapers! You are really talanted, and have great taste in cars!!

I'd love a full size copy. vitarella_family @ Yahoo.com

Dom

5. Mr Iceman

Mr Iceman Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi Dom, sent you the pic's, hope you receive them OK

Scotty

6. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Excuse my ignorance but whats the difference?

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think I may want one of these...

8. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    My understanding is as follows, but there are prob. others who can enlighten further/correct as necessary:

246-Std. fitment was 14x6.5 Cromodoras. These leave the bolts exposed and are the commonly seen wheels on a 246. If you look at the "Lets see the Dinos" thread almost all show this wheel type, except an orange spyder a few cars down which has Campagnolos which look like the ones Verdi is offering...These I believe are wider and seemingly rare.

308-Early cars, like mine, had the same 14x6.5 Cromodora as the 246 but with a small diameter "hubcap" covering the bolts. Later cars then had a 5 spoke 14" wheel like Scotty's pictures

I hope I've got that right!

9. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Maybe i will stick with what is already on the car as they are perfect and original....and still look good!

Thanks for the info chaps!

10. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes

Bertone,

This problem with the paint sounds to be Micro Blistering from your description, this is caused by water vapour between the primer and the topcoat!! The only way to remove this is by repainting the affected area.

The 8.5 inch Dino wheel is normally fitted to the chairs and flares model (nickname), ie Daytona style seats and flared wheel arches and are very nice wheels.

Regards,
    Phil.

11. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Hi Phil,

Yes thats exactly whats happened.....micro blistering!

Its a small patch on the roof....does that mean theres rust underneath?

And i suppose it means a rub down of the affected area and a respray blending in the neccessary other bodywork?

Sounds expensive!

I havent bought the car yet but as its at a top whack price presumably youd expect this to be sorted prior to purchase?

Regards,

Julian.

12. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Yes it is going to be expensive. Buyer beware. That all goes back to the comment I made about the primer and paint being outdated in comparison to today's primer technology. Epoxy primer didn't exist back then. Lacquer paint stinks IMO. You need alot better. My paint is enamel and looks marvelous plus it lasts longer. Probably will be the last time I will need to paint the car until I die.

The problem with a repaint of the affected area(s) is the fact that you will now have color match issues, plus compatibility issues of old/new paint.

You can have my 14" Dino wheels if you want them. I personally think that detract from the lines on the GT4 tremendously, all nostalga aside. They are a bear to clean and the stainless steel hub that fits over the bolts is disgusting looking.

13. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    ****.......so really the car would need a full repaint and he isnt going to do that......and buying it without it being sorted will only land me with problems down the line?!!!!!

Any advice chaps......after all the car is £20,995 ansd should be pefect for that price!

14. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    "The 8.5 inch Dino wheel is normally fitted to the chairs and flares model (nickname), ie Daytona style seats and flared wheel arches and are very nice wheels."
    Phil: Actually, that optional Campy 246 Dino wheel is 7.5"x14", not 8.5", and it wasn't actually sold as a "package", with the Daytona seats. In fact, you could order just the Daytona seats, just the flared fenders/wide wheels, or both. Many cars had the seats, a few had both seats and fenders/wheels, and even fewer had the fenders/wheels but not the seats.

15. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Hmmm. I don't know much about prices in the UK, but:

If the car is otherwise OK, and this is just a small section, perhaps you can just leave it as is for a few years. Does the car need to be perfect? Are you planning to use it for concours events, or to drive it.

If it doesn't bother you too much, and they car is mechanically sound, then you may want to consider just going for it (maybe see if you can use it to negotiate a little off the price), and driving the car for a few years. If after a few years you decide you want to get it repainted, then go ahead and do it then.

Dom

16. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    So dont you think that this micro blistering will spread if i dont catch it in the bud......and theyre asking a price of a perfect car not one with a few faults...so maybe i should ask them and see if theyre prepared to sort it out first?

All advice appreciated!

17. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Take it to an experience autobody shop, don't trust the salesman. Get an experienced opinion first, obtain the cost of repair, work from there. 20K pounds is around 38K US(?) That is top dollar, nothing bad about paying top dollar if the car is top notch. That is what puzzles me about queen worshippers, the car ages whether or not you drive it, in alot of cases, queen worshipping can be much worse than driving it in the rain or not. At least enjoy the car, you only live once. The guy I bought my GT4 from in 1982 was 85 years of age and had such bad arthritis, he could barely drive it. So he sold it. Use it or lose it.

Remember BERTONE, you are seeking a car that is almost 30 years old, so any GT4 that has not been repainted---SHOULD BE. I wouldn't have any problems whatsoever buying one that has been repainted if it has been properly documented. You can't hide bad paint and bodywork IMO.

18. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Im currently organising a Ferrari Approved 101 Point Inspection (which includes paintwork) which is being done by the nearest Ferrari Dealer to where the car is, so all being well that should pick up on problems and things that need to be done. You can see the car at www.nickcartwright.com click onto stock and its the only GT4 on there!

19. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    I have seen the GT4 already, it is gorgeous! Let us know how the inspection comes out. Make a decision based upon the findings and go from there. As soon as all the facts are known, everyone here can chime in to hone the decision process to the areas that is needed to close this deal (if it comes down to that.).

20. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Will do, but one more question.......do you reckon the GT4s will hold their value?
    This car is at the top end of GT4s price wise and should I have to sell it sometime in the future I dont want to be left with a massive hole in my bank account!

21. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Good question. I see lots of talk about the GT4 being undervalued. I also see lots of ratty examples, which are probably on their way to the junkyard. This means that nicer examples will be few and far between. Hopefully, that would indicate a upward price trend, though I don't see it happening for at least another 5-10 years.

With that being said, I don't think you should ever consider a car as an asset or investment. Buy the car, drive it, enjoy it. When (if?) you decide to sell it, if you made money, great, if not, just consider it as part of the cost of all of the fun you had with it.

Dom

22. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    I fully agree with Dom on this one. Even though you are at the top of the price range it is because of the condition of the car. Top cars will always be at the top of the price range. The bottom range is for the ratty junk cars that will only end up as parts cars. The bottom is in here for GT4's.