308 GTB (1980) Undoing the Vandalism | FerrariChat

308 GTB (1980) Undoing the Vandalism

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew McCrae, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Hi, As I seem to be always asking questions on the forum, I thought I'd start posting some details of what I am doing. Hopefully so that fellow chatters might get some information or photos of help to them.

Today I have been looking at removing the 328 Electric Mirrors (I think that's what they are)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    and replacing with original Vitaloni baby Tornados. I have a photo of it with its original Drivers side Baby Tornado (sorry for copyright reasons I can't post. Just google XOL308 ). I'll clean up and sell the two removed on ebay unless somebody here wants. I don't know if they work because no controller was fitted.

The door armrest I had already taken off by unscrewing with a large posidrive the two M5 screws on the underside rear of the armrest and with a spanner the two close to the interior door handle with 10mm spanner. Actually one of the rear screws was a self tapper rammed into the nut but M5 is what it should have been.

Next I undid the lock button, the two tiny pozidriv screws on the rear vertical edge of the door card, the 2 tiny pozidriv screws on the bottom, the four screws holding my speaker grille and then finally the large pozidrive exposed when the speaker grille removed. Grille is the Black and silver ridged type.

This left me with the exposed door panel which I expected to have some plastic sheeting. Unfortunately removed and not replaced. I did find a 1 ft sq pice of silver nylon sheet stuffed into the door, not sure why?
    I did find some other odd things (I know our cars are 40 years old but Isn't it amazing how little respect is given and how many bodges done to them)
    There's two green wires coming in on the loom that are spliced to two grey wires that disappear back into the door and which I have to figure out for my own sanity what they do/are. The gauge of each are the same and the connectors are the same as two splices on the glovebox wires,
    I suspect these may be original Ferrari but not sure why. Yes, you can see a previous chunk angle ground out of the door to fit a 13cm speaker, they also cut a mega hole in front of the speaker cover so at least were consistent! You can see on this photo the large hole to the right which takes the hidden door card retaining screw

Final bit of investigation then is to figure out how the little glass pane is normally sealed. I suspect parts diagram won't have it. Mine has the external wiper, and a mass of sticky gooey sealer on the inside which can't be genuine can it?

Off now to clean up the excessive glue on the door card leaving the build number still taped inside. And order a new mirror because I ended up with one with a plastic base and one with a metal base. Think about the wiring and the sealing.

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Wiring could be the factory speaker wiring just waiting for you to install a speaker and cover it with the door card. ;-)

Andrew McCrae likes this.
  3. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    Andrew ... I'm happy to buy the mirrors from you ... pls PM with a price ... thx ... Bob

4. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    I'll pm you Bob.

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Just for giggles, are you certain that all those screws are pozidrive and not Phillips?

Andrew McCrae likes this.
  6. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
  7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Good luck with the restoration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    I hesitate to say a restoration as it devalues what some people here are doing. Just undoing a few things David. Thanks for the advice and wishes.
    Does anyone know what the silver grey cloth is? and did Ferrari use clear polyythene as the door membrane.

Sent from my EML-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Andrew what year is your 308?

10. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
  11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I understand your point but you are taking some components of the car and 'putting them back to their original state'. For me that action deserves the use of the word restoration without devaluing the concours/whole car restorations we see. However maybe 'devandalizing' could be used. Plus... you never know where this will lead. You would not be the first here to start with "Just doing a few things" and end up with a whole car restoration :)

My car was also missing the moisture membranes on the doors when I opened them up. I did not replace them. From what I remember of my research photos on other cars it was a white translucent polythene.

No idea what the silver cloth might be... a leftover rag perhaps?

12. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Took the passenger door card off today. Huge difference in the fibreglass armrest. The front piece is thin like the rest of the armrest, unlike the drivers which I now realise was rebuilt and is I suspect off a later 308i or 328 as mountings are different. Anyway I discovered the cloth is attached to the passenger door properly although maybe cut short. I agree in that I expected polythene.