308 gtb alignment | FerrariChat

308 gtb alignment

Discussion in '308/328' started by cantthinkofone, Mar 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael Orifici
    Just finished putting new QA1s in. Will be sending it off for a alignment but have some questions.
    1- what are the factory specs?
    2- what are you track guys/autocross runing for specs?
    3- most important- i know shims are used for adjusting camber, should i purchase extra shims? If so typically how many?

I had an alignment done on my alfa last year that turned into a shim nightmare. Just want to be prepared this time. Thanks!

Fyi stock rims tires.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I would like to crank on some castor for stability and turn/camber change. Has anybody wound up the castor?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The caveat that I'd add here is that was for getting even tire wear in street use when using the wider 16" or 17" wheels and tires -- if the OP has the narrower stock 14" wheels and tires that may be a different situation.

miketuason likes this.
  5. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Buying shims might be a good idea. I brought a bunch because the shop may not have many and shims are cheap (and they charged by the hour so I would be paying them to scrounge the shop for shims). For me, it turned out they removed a lot of shims for the alignment after I lowered my car.

Castor angle can be adjusted a tiny bit by moving the spacers on either side of the hub units but I doubt that is the intent of the spacers. Otherwise there is no formal method of adjusting castor. Personally, I have never thought the car needed more castor.

7. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    This is what happened to me. I guess lowering the car is the reason?

8. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael Orifici
    I lowered my car so it sound like I shouldn't need extra shims. Correct?

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    With two data points (mine and “cantthinkofone”) it sounds like lowering reduces shim requirements.

To get the alignment exactly right, the alignment shop did use a few of the thinner shims I brought because the original shim pack had only thicker shims. Whether or not they had such shims in their stock supply, I cannot say.

10. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    For camber adjustment, if you lowered your car, you'd more likely be removing shims rather than adding. In my case, after installing QA1s, I had to removed all of the camber shims on all 4 wheels to get camber closed to spec. Still not quite there.