308 gtb QV front bonnet grill | FerrariChat

308 gtb QV front bonnet grill

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by flanguasco, Sep 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flanguasco

flanguasco Rookie

May 25, 2006
    Imperia - Italy
    Full Name:
    Franco G. Languasco
    I have to replace the front bonnet on my 1984 308 Quattrovalvole but I can't find, at a reasonable price,
    the European version of it.

Instead I have found an USA version (Ferrari part # 61159900) that is supposed to be right for my car, with some minor arrangement.

But, before buying it, I would like to know if my bonnet grill (Ferrari part # 61672600) will easily fit into the US bonnet; the US version grill has part # 61672500.

I attach here a couple of pictures, with my grill dimensions, hoping that somebody there, in the States, will be so kind to check it.

Ciao and many thanks for the attention.

Franco

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I would say "yes "it should fit, but would check with a Ferrari dismantler .. Eurospares, T-Rutlands, FerrParts etc.

flanguasco likes this.
  3. flanguasco

flanguasco Rookie

May 25, 2006
    Imperia - Italy
    Full Name:
    Franco G. Languasco
    Thank you very, very much for your kind reply!
    I have already checked with Ricambi America, Superformance, etc... but they don't know or do not reply.

This is why I decided to ask for a "metrological" check, i.e. by measuring directly on a US 308 QV the size of the grill.

Ciao and thanks again.

Franco

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe that the US front bonnet has two latches and the Euro only has one latch but the louvers are the same.

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Mike is correct. The US front bonnet latches differently than the Euro version due to different crash safety rules.

6. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was a parts manager when these cars were new....it was a while ago! Yes, North American cars had double latches as opposed to a single central latch for Rest of World.

The difference in the grill however was the finish, US cars, at least early cars, had
    a black satin finish and where shipped from the factory finished. Rest of World was painted and that would have supplied bare.

Deminsionally I cannot imagine them being different.

7. flanguasco

flanguasco Rookie

May 25, 2006
    Imperia - Italy
    Full Name:
    Franco G. Languasco
    Hi there,
    I delayed my thanks to all of you waiting to have in hands the US bonnet to check directly how it fits in my Euro 308 QV and if I could use my grill as well.

Now the bonnet has arrived, from an UK Ferrari Parts supplier, and there are good and bad news.

The good are that the US bonnet seems (?) to fit quite nicely in my Euro car and that my grid can be used as well.

The bad is that the bonnet I got is in a rather bad shape: it looks like it has spent many years being moved around the warehouse, subject to a lot of hits and, sometimes, under heavy loads.
    When we tried to put it on the car we have even discovered that the "wing" near the left windshield wiper was slightly bended down.
    Even the overall quality is rather poor: of course I didn't expect to have the same as the original one but there are too many details that require a lot of work to be fixed; I am not talking about the need of cutting the the two side lock pins and fit a new central one, as we knew about this since the beginning.

Now the advise of the local Ferrari body shop is to try to repair my damaged bonnet: this was the first option until I found the possibility to buy a new one, saving the cost of the long work necessary for unbending (aluminum!) my damaged one.

Ciao, thank you again and... good luck to me!!

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    My family owned a body shop for well over 35 years. My suggestion is to send that crap back to the dismantler. Normally when you buy a used body panel they will tell you to expect one or possibly two hours cleanup time on a panel, that's for a few very small dings They know very well that if that bonnet is in the shape you describe that no repair facility would except it and trying to pawn it off on and unsuspecting customer. Send it back and tell them they're paying for shipping. Makes my blood boil.

thorn likes this.