308 GTB/S Carb/i and QV wheel ET numbers and images wanted. | FerrariChat

308 GTB/S Carb/i and QV wheel ET numbers and images wanted.

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    #1 JC Andruet, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Hi All,

I'm looking for the following information on the various offsets (ET numbers) for the following wheels :

308 GTB/S 7.5. X 14 (wider option) wheel. I assume these were the same offset front and rear ?
    Can anyone confirm these wheels were manufactured by Speedline, Cromodora and Campagnolo at some point in the car's production cycle ? Any images of the various makes, both the faces and backs of the wheels and their differences would be very welcome.

308 GTB/S Factory option 7 x 16 front wheel. I've found a figure of ET 11.15 can anyone confirm this ET number is correct ?

308 GTB/S Factory option 8 x 16 rear wheel. I've found a figure of ET 11.45, can anyone confirm this ET number is correct ?

Does anyone have images of the front and rear of the optional 16" wheels that were available from any of the various manufacturers ? (not the Superformance replica wheels)

308 GTB/S i/QV TR390 /165 wheels. I assume these were same size & offset front and rear ? Am i right in thinking the finish of the QV wheels differs from the i wheels ? the QV wheels appear to have machined outer rims and the faces have machined highlights ?

Am I right in saying the carb'd cars were launched in '76 with the 6 1/2" X 14" wheels AND the option of the wider 7 1/2" wheels up until the introduction of the i model ? And at some point in the carb'd car's production cycle the factory 16" X 7 & 8 option also became available in addition to the 7 1/2" x 14" wider wheel option ?

Was the 16" x 7 & 8" wheel option available all through the i and QV model's TRX production cycle too ?

I read this on the Borrani wheels website :

"Ferrari developed the 308 even further by developing the Quatrovalvole or 308 qvwith 4 valves per cylinder- These cars stuck with the 220/55VR390 TRX Michelin tires- then later cars moved onto 16" wheels-
    It is worth referencing that when Ferrari did put there 308 GTB qv and 308 GTS qv onto 16" wheels they didn't fit wider tyres, they actually fitted thinner front tyres."

Are they correct in saying the last QV's were supplied solely on the 16" x 7 & 8" option wheels ?

Many thanks in advance for any information and images proffered.
    Apologies for the barrage of questions, enquiring minds would like to know this stuff :)

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It seems incredibly unlikely that this has not been posted multiple times over the years so clearly the minds are not enquiring enough to seek previous solutions !

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes! Too many questions in one single post...

But:
    - yes, the offsets for the 16" wheels were indeed 11.15 and 11.45 (up to, and including, the "série 1" 328s, but NOT the "série 2" 328s, which have a different suspension, and very different offsets.)
    - The 16' wheels appeared as an option during the life of the carbed cars already, with the so called "sprint pack" in the fall of 1977, and Pirelli tyres.

Rgds

4. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Thank you for your response. As I mentioned in my original post, I've found the ET numbers for the OE 16" 7 & 8" wheels here :

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/modern-ferrari-wheel-offsets.8361/

and published them, confirmation or otherwise was all I was seeking.
    As we know, there's plenty of information to be found on an internet, regrettably all too often some of it is erroneous. So the best place to ask when both some basic and indepth searches have been undertaken, is this normally incredibly helpful and knowledgeable forum.

So, despite spending an unhealthy amount of time trying to establish the ET number for the 7 1/2" x 14" "wider" option wheels, I've yet to find said number, hence the post.

No information regarding ET numbers here :

http://www.308-328.com/308/308specstylen.html

Big Tex seems to be THE 14" 308 wheel guru (actually, he seems to be the 308 wheel guru, period) and he has a plethora of useful wheel images too, perhaps he'd chime in ?

Thank you Nerofer, your input is much appreciated :)

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    They might be correct about the last QVs, but they are incorrect about the start of the TRX or early QVs.

The TRX wheels appeared with the 80-81 fuel injected GTBi and GTSi. By the time of the QV, many of the early QVs were still delivered with TRX wheels, but certainly not all, and by the later QVs, the TRX were no longer fitted at all. My late 1984 model year (June 84 build) Euro QV was delivered with the 16" wheels from the factory.

JC Andruet likes this.
  6. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013

Thank you Gordon. So it sounds as if the last of the QV's may have reverted back to imperial wheels/tyres prior to the end of the car's production. Are your wheels silver all over, or machined and painted light grey ?

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Mine are silver all over.

I don't think it was just the last of the QVs that reverted; I know of quite a few first of the QVs (1983 model year) that were delivered with the 16" wheel set, and mine was middle of the QVs, with the full 1985 model year following. The 16" wheel set might have been rare on the 80-82 GTBi and GTSi, but was pretty common on the entire range of QVs from what I've observed.

8. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    As far as the 16' wheels on the QV models. it depended on which market the cars were for.

The earliest 2v injected cars delivered to the USA still had 14' wheels...The TRX tyres and metric wheels appeared on the USA market for the 1981 model year.

The 1983 year USA market QV's also had the TRX tyres and metric wheels but for the 1984 USA model year they switched to 16' wheels.

All Australian delivered 2v injected and QV models came with TRX tyres and Metric wheels. Ditto the UK market cars.

Whilst 16' wheels were available as an option from the time of the steel carby model 308's they were horrendously expensive and few owners at the time were willing to stump up the $ to pay for them in any world market.

Grim

9. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Not true. I own VIN 59265, which is reported to be the last 308, and it has TRX. Wheels and tires were original as the tires date code matched the car’s production date. 16” were still an option through the production run.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I have handled and painted a ton of them I won't admit to having the offsets you need.....

Dig back into Ads and find my Sale of the 16's, (they did not move they are still here, and the reason actually answers your question.

You actually have it fleshed out more or less correctly:
    Early cars, lets just say 1976 "glass examples up to the close of carbs in North America 1979:
    Base wheel 14 x 6.5" yes identical five to a set (BUT some space savers were used, looked like an earlier Dino wheel, and I have one of the identical wheels with the specs in raised letters in the web of the wheel, strange to see and I assume it was the Full Size spare as it was ugly, distracting even!
    Optional wheel 14 x 7.5, and the same as above a crap shoot what was in for the spare.

Here's the interesting point that as greyboxer states has been posted before, the 16" x 7 FR and 8" R appear VERY early like 1977 as a Factory Option, and in fact two of my "QV" wheels are actually quite older than the QV! They are date coded 1978.

The other two, one FR and one R, are much later and visibly different castings, so while no one would EVER know (you have to be looking at the rear spoke webbing) it turns out my "set" is not a "Matched set" although they do appear identical.

With me so far? As my musician friend says from the stage.....I will answer your question about visible differences last, as yes all three vendors supplied 14"s
    Speedline seems to have gained market share as they moved into 16"s in the 1980s..

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #11 BigTex, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    So, along comes the "NEW Improved" and unloved and demeaned 390MM "Metrics"...

In USA metrics never caught on even after a brief promotion, These rims have been tossed, used to hang the garden hose, coffee tables, to the point VERY few remain and tires are higher then a giraffe p&*^*&^y, as the result. Available though....

IMO they were far more widespread in Europe and they hung on in Factory fitment, for years, and it would not surprise me at all, if at some point an unused mountain of them were fitting to every car moving down the line!
    Closing them out......
    But as stated above the 16" Optional set never went away, and in North America dealers learned they should stock them order cars with them or they were gonna eat a set of 390MM.

IMO Most of the QVs "over here" were fitted with 16"s, if original or ordered as replacement wheels.
    That's still the main value in fitting a set, tire selection.
    14" rubber has always been available in Vintage lines and with the drift cars smoking them off like Camel cigarettes, Dunlop and others have returned to making nice rubber, and a lot of vintage 30s seeking top value have replaced the OEM 14", usually the 7.5" version.

Appearance:
    For most of the 60's and well into the 70s, I think Cromodora made 99% of Ferraris wheels. I don't think you will find a Date Code for Campagnolo early on.
    Raised lettering is the giveaway as the Brand is there, but I suppose a refinish could grind it away under instruction. These wheels are immediately recognized as being "curvy"" LOL! Not like a woman, but the ridge around the lug not recessed is softly radiused, at every corner.....so, curvy! :D :D :D

Along comes Campy for a piece of the action, they have to make their own molds, so in the restyling, they get SHARP edges, in this same ridge, the bolt surround is still curved as it circles the bolt, but the OTHER corners that complete the five spokes, gets a sharp corner. Makes a crisper impression visually.
    Look for this and you can tell a Campy even if it is unlabeled, which if ever refinished it will be blank, the silkscreened logo was easily lost in any repair or repaint.

SPEEDLINE, man I remember seeing some 308 wheels by SPEEDLINE and thinking these are very rare, and they are.
    They were 16"s, no 14" SPEEDLINES that I have ever seen.....
    I think they came along at the very end of say the QV years, but in the 328 run I think they may well be most common, so call them modern.
    They were looking at Campys for example, I think they are sharp.

By the final 328 and the convex wheels, there were no curves left, the five spokes and the star pattern goes all the way across the wheel, and the bolts just "go in there" like they were drilled as afterthought....which they were not, every bolt has a pressed in steel (or aluminum?) collar to lessen the stresses on the casting itself. I'm just speaking of the overall aesthetic.

HTH.

While I do own 14"s by Cromo and Campy, and some odd 16" "QV's it's really hard in retrospect to say "when it happened".
    Just be aware of all this as to put "a set" together it's handy to know what you are buying, or buy 5 "that match"!!

If I ever get back on my feet, rest assured I am going to paint the whole lot, and that will be SOME picture and compare them all...
    The End

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Whew....good night all...

13. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Wow !! An excellent post from F Chat’s 308 chief wheel guru :D
    Many thanks, your time and patience in revealing the intricacies of the available wheel options are much appreciated.
    PM headed your way.

Many thanks all the other contributors too.
    If anyone else has old 7 1/2 x 14” or OE 16” wheels “in stock” or images of them, do please feel free to post them.

14. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

So it looks like no one has posted the offsets yet. These are what the original post were asking for the offsets?
    Just took the wheels off to start my suspension refurbish. I’ll measure the offsets after lunch. Front and back look same, let me confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
  16. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
  17. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Rim 14x 7.5 inch
    7.5 x2.54= 19.05 cm =190.5mm

Rim width - 218mm measured
    Mounting surface to rim edge 118mm

Using measurements 218/2=106
    So 118-106= +12mm offset as measured

Now I know the rim width labeled is never the same as what you measure from edge of rim to edge, and I suspect the labeled rim width of the wheel is tire mounting surface and not the edge of the rim. So can ‘correct’ for this...

So 190.5mm/2= 95.25mm
    106-95.25= 10.75mm
    118-10.75= 107.25

107.25- 95.25= 12mm !!

So it’s +12mm (unless rubber mounting surface to rim measures edge is different side to side)
    Oh and rear and front is the same.

18. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Many thanks for this information (and the images) they're much appreciated.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Excellent example of what I refer to as the "Sharp corners" the Campys all have in the inner bolt circle area!!
    Thanks!

Mine are all stacked in the garage and I m slammed making PPE this week....

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One of those symbols in the rear face is the Date Code, you could decipher if they were "1978" wheels, or not,
    No matter though, they were for sure in period and look great

21. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You made an error in you calculation. 218/2 is not 106.

Basal Skull likes this.
  22. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Ohh you’re right, glad I showed my math... so 9mm! I’ll try to correct the post!
    Thx!

23. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    well, seems I can no longer edit my old post... hopefully people look at the whole thread!!