308 gts 1979 lhd to rhd | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 gts 1979 lhd to rhd

Discussion in '308/328' started by mantagtj, Aug 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Love it, Patrick. Thanks for that one.

Rgds

2. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Heh - don't want to derail the thread either but to quickly answer your questions - more like 4 years than 24. Once the company sells (in the next few years) I'll probably semi-retire at least. And NZ - because that's my birthplace. Only moved to the US 7 years ago, and I like NZ - nice place to retire. Nicer country roads to drive on than Texas has too.

3. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I spent 27 years driving RHD in NZ before driving LHD in the US, and I definitely prefer RHD. Despite being right handed, my left hand is still more adept at changing gears, probably because of growing up with it.

vaccarella likes this.
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh, yes, I can understand. Always been fascinated by NZ, cannot exactly explain why. Perfect Antipodean from France, i.e: same distance, any direction you take. About 24 h flight...and I hate flying...

Rgds

5. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, that's probably it. My lifetime ratio driving LHD:RHD must be pretty close to 50:50. You'll just have to spend the next 20 years in Texas :D

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I can't imagine why one would go to all the trouble, time, and cost to swap from LHD to RHD, given that RHD cars are already available.

I read that this car in question is a particularly good price, but that initial savings will be eaten alive by the conversion costs. And of course, have a negative effect on the inherent value that the car started with.

Just find a RHD car.

vaccarella, Martin308GTB and Nuvolari like this.
  7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #32 Brian A, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    I have been surprised how easy I have found shifting RHD manual-shift cars (in UK and South Africa) which is not my native configuration. Navigating clockwise roundabouts on the other hand, I find TERRIFYING!!!

tomberlin likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    My exact same experience as well, in South Africa. Driving, shifting, etc...is very easy (physically), and terrifying because all your usual reflexes and precautions work in the wrong way (glancing the wrong side for priority, etc...)

Rgds

9. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My only problem is occasionally reaching for the wrong door & my wife being shocked that she is supposed to drive whatever beast we're in that day.

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Just get at least one of each, LHD and RHD!

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am generally very encouraging when people want to mod their cars for their personal enjoyment. Still, mods are typically a problem in the Ferrari world, it seems to me. I’m all for color changes to please an owner, bumper reductions and euro side marker adoption on US cars, as well as valence or exhaust swaps to preference.

Changing a car from LHD to RHD, in my estimation, is silly. I’m sure parts of the conversion can be done and have been in the past. But completely converting to be identical is a ridiculous undertaking. I just look at my cars and can spot dozens of differences...boot opening levers, deck lid prop direction, front bonnet prop side, the bonnet is different, wipers different, window switches, shifter side on the tunnel, ash tray location...the list goes on!

vaccarella and Ferraridoc like this.
  12. mantagtj

mantagtj Rookie

Aug 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    clive moss
    thanks everyone it was interesting reading your articles on lhd to rhd, nothing set it stone as yet just taking it all in . just to change the subject i shoot archery and i was a rhd archer since child for 40 years untill i got the target panic spot shy they call it i actually taught myself to shoot lh which cured the issue! dont take this the wrong way if i sit in a left seat with a steering wheel im not going to be able to drive a lhd car on uk roads safley and enjoy it in a 308 the only reason i wondered about conversion is that i can buy one half the price of a rhd one and rot free . i wouldent sell it anyhow it would stay with me till i go as a investment so as for correctness it dont matter if you saw my opel manta i have you may well be surprised by my ability of engineering i would change the layout of the shift if i had too . i have altered many cars and restored many classic cars over the years i like a challenge . this took me 2 years to build and i dont think theres another one out there with this engine layout and gearbox . Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I presume the trumpets and air box are on the bench

14. mantagtj

mantagtj Rookie

Aug 6, 2018
    Full Name: