308 GTS #26355 1978 model / 16k Original Miles - Purchased | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 GTS #26355 1978 model / 16k Original Miles - Purchased

Discussion in '308/328' started by lm2504me, Dec 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfaGreg

AlfaGreg Karting

Dec 28, 2003
    Saint John, NB Can
    Full Name:
    Greg Gormley
    Same here. Great lift for the Ferrari.

2. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    James, the 308 clears the lift without the boards...I just have them there to line it up when I drive in

3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    What a gorgeous 308!!

4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I was hoping there was a way other than Classiche certification to validate engine and transmission number, but to no avail.
    Maybe Marcel may have some info.

I have done the following so far:
    1. Replaced Harada automatic antenna with NOS Autovox SA-86 antenna from Germany. Thanks OKP in Germany. Installed drain tube to wheel well.
    2. Installed the original California Vitaloni side mirrors.
    3. Replaced later aerial switch with Lucas switch.
    4. Installed flyback diode to protect ignition switch contacts to starter solenoid. Attached cathode side of diode to terminal 50 and anode side to chassis ground.
    5. Removed weber carbs to replace all gaskets and clean / rebuild internals. Replaced the base insulators.
    6. Installed spade connectors for driver side seat fuel pump interlock to bypass seat switch.
    7. Removed aftermarket battery disconnect switch and wiring. Replaced negative cable with Ferrari original cable. Installed new positive terminal with Fusion cast copper left hand terminal.
    8. I have a loose Vitaloni No.249 inside rear view mirror in a box which came with the 308. I presently have the mirror which came after the Vitaloni No.249 installed. Trying to verify if a '78 model 308 GTS came with the No. 249 inside rear view mirror.
    9. Next is timing belts and tensioner bearings, in March.

Included a photo of me chasing down my friend's Daytona with my Porsche.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    So since I purchased 26355, I have done the following:
    • Replaced the timing belts and tensioners with new and Hill tensioners
    • replace engine coolant hoses, Green stripe
    • tested NOS thermostat and good to go
    • rebuilding carbs (2 done, 2 to go) - found the float settings off by 5mm and missing gasket for one of the enrichment covers
    • replaced fuel filter cartridge,
    • replacing some fuel line and emission clamps / hoses (bought original clamps via ebay and hours of searching on web), NOS Serflex and Fiat parts
    • AC idler pulley bearings replaced, AC compressor installed with belt tensioned
    • new expansion tank installed due to corrosion from sitting 10 years with coolant and only driven 200 miles,
    • waiting on rebuilt water pump to close up front of engine,
    • original license plate frame repaired, (aluminum frame with studs)
    • removed engine oil sump to clean, install baffle, and replace gasket. Dipstick is a pain to remove / install. Had to unbolt alternator from block.
    • removed cambio sump cover to clean and replace gasket. done
    • replaced negative cable with original due to damage
    • installed nos cylinder #1 exhaust sample tube, wrong one installed by past service shop
    • reinstalled original Vitaloni California mirrors - in box of parts I received with car
    • installed flyback diode for ignition switch wire 50 to starter solenoid
    • installed original NOS Autovox SA86 radio antenna - from OKP in Germany
    • modified, using factory method, a 3 way Lucas switch for aerial antenna, works great
    • new Trico wiper inserts
    • arranging for the wheels to be restored and new XWXs in my garage waiting
    • Still need to replace original 1978 brake hoses and get windows to open faster than a snail in slow speed, and etc... Getting ready for Concours Italiano at Seaside in August. I paid the entry fee.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

A $100.00 Costco floor jack fits under a 308 with a couple of inches to spare.

7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    New XWXs for the wheels. Nitrogen filled and Road Force balanced. Three original 1978 tires (per warranty book) and two 1984 tires stacked for storage.

Installing fuel clamps (refurbished and plated) per Parts book (a Fiat part number) and the correct fuel pump (internals inspected/lubed including motor) tested pump recirculating fuel for an hour and pressure from pump at 3.5 psig with 1/8 restriction.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Great work. I own 1978 308 GTS 23883.

Aaron

9. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks!
    Another 78 308 owner!
    Still have to go through brakes, steering boots, slow windows, etc.....should be done by early July.

10. VA_Alfa

VA_Alfa Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Waynesboro, VA
    Full Name:
    Alex Sullivan
    also following this thread. I have a 78 GTS s/n 26451

Alex in VA

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If you need the fuel clamps, check the photo above of the parts bag. Many times less less than eBay auctions.

12. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Found NOS clamps for vacuum/emissions hose on ebay UK and Ebay France.
    Minifex made in France by Serflex. Used in 70s Ferraris. Much cheaper than US ebay auctions.

I am presently working on purchase of OEM tire valve stems from France for my extra set of wheels, not the incorrect sold by Ferrari dealers and elsewhere. The original aluminum alloy ones.
    I spend hours looking for items, but it is great when I find them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Fantastic, what a find!!

Enjoy!

14. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Removed the Facet pump and installed BCD Corona pump. I had it on my shelf for over 15 years NOS. I got it for free at Best of France and Italy show/swap meet inVan Nuys. I have another one, but it needs a lot of work. Replaced the clamps and fuel filter. Just ordered 8 feet of German cloth covered fuel line ebay. My existing hose from pump to carbs is short by 6 inches.
    Oh well.
    Just received my Colson cable clamps ( fancy tyraps) made in France. Parts book shows Colson next to their description.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    ATSAaron likes this.
  16. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I had the original aluminum license plate frame with studs repaired and painted.
    Just got it today.
    I installed the first owner original personalized blue plate.
    Working on steering boots tomorrow. Castrol LMA on order for brake job next weekend.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Todays Ferrari Work: Installed new base insulation spacers for webers, installed Webers, and connected all linkages. Installed new cloth covered fuel lines and used refurbished correct fuel hose clamps. Powered up the fuel pump to check for leaks, needle valve issues, and tested accelerator pump nozzles. Fuel lines good - no leaks. #2 weber needle did not shut/ cycled the float and it sealed, #4 weber cylinder #3 no accelerator pump output. Pulled cover and accelerator nozzle assembly and used thin wire to clear up. Did a retest and all work good now.
    Now on to brakes, water pump install, steering boot replacement. etc..... Showing at Concorso Italiano August 25th.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Memorial day work: Refilled tranny with MT90 and engine with Quaker State 10w/40 High Mileage. Prefilled B253 Baldwin filter with oil to soak the filter element.

Ended up replacing the correct hose clamps with ABA 21011 fuel injection small hose clamps. A better clamping force and design. I do not want fuel leaks. Purchased off Ebay.

Work for this weekend:
    Rebuilt water pump (single seal) should arrive Friday for installation. Shell Rotella Ultra ELC 50/50 should arrive today for a vacuum fill of the coolant system on Saturday. Still need to verify distributor settings / point gaps, check new spark plugs continuity, and check ignition wire / boot continuity.

Attached Files:

19. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  20. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Nice story

Quite a few s/n 26XXX owners have turned up here - if 26253 is yours please get in touch

22. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  23. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Used Airlift to vacuum fill system. It was very quick and sucked up 5 gallons and a quart of Shell Rotella Ultra ELC.
    Installed all emissions / evaporative equipment and hoses.
    Verified/adjusted timing of distributors for R1. Marked up crank pulley to line up with flywheel markings.
    After verifying continuity, I Installed NGK BP6ES at .023 gap. Verified extender continuity.
    Installed battery and it fired right up after sitting for over 2 months. Sounds great! Need to balance right carbs with left carbs slightly based on airflow measurements. Checked all functions and only the A/C not getting is an issue. Needs freon.
    Next is the brakes, front wheel bearings, and then steering rack boot.
    Then clean it all up for Concorso Italiano judging.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Say more about the braid covered fuel line (yours will make people mistake it for OEM!)

It's a modern product, for use with ethanol blends??
    It looks very nice and original indeed.

Top work on all those clamps!
    You are sweating the details!