308 GTS QV Idle | FerrariChat

308 GTS QV Idle

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ray F, Apr 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Hi all, my '84 UK spec 308 idles at about 1100 -1200 rpm when warmed through. This seems high when compared with my other cars - but it doesn't sound 'stressed', so was wondering what is the norm?

Thanks, Ray.

2. Baltz1969

Baltz1969 Karting

Apr 24, 2017
    Chula Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Jose Baltz
    My 81 idles at about 1100 & drops slightly after the emissions system kicks in.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 84 QV also idle at around 1200 rpm (1000 is normal) but when I checked the rpm with with my Snap On timing light, it reads at 1000 rpm, so this tells me my tachometer is not 100% accurate.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Euro warm (tach) idle is in the 1300-1500 range. Higher than my other modern cars, but those also have a lower redline. ;)

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    That is the correct idle speed according to the owners manual and workshop manuals.

6. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Thanks everyone.

7. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    My ‘84 QV idles at 1100 rpm. Dumb thought.....but have you checked your floor mats? They notoriously get scrunched up to the gas pedal and increase idle speed.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The WUR device is adjustable. There is a small brass nut on the side that allows for adjusting the amount of air that makes its way thru the by-pass portion of the WUR. You can make the car idle faster or slower depending on how its adjusted.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'll look into that... I had too low idle at one point (cold idle = car dies under braking), which was corrected after I fixed a vacuum leak. It would up at this higher point, which I've just kind of lived with.

Floor mats are definitely ok though, and throttle cable is new and properly adjusted.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Is that the proper way to adjust the idle on a QV?

11. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    My overmat was indeed preventing the pedal from reaching full return position, but that's been removed for now. The idle is still at around 1100 - so will have to check that adjustment.

12. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    No, the WUR has nothing to do with idle speed adjustment on a QV! (Assuming, of course, that the WUR is functioning correctly)

There is an adjusting screw on the throttle cable pulley end of the throttle plate of the throttle body, and a large screw on the underside of the throttle body for the idle air bypass. Those two are adjusted in a specific sequence to set the QV idle.

13. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The WUR is a electric thermostatically controlled device. It is open when cold and slowly closes as the car warms up. Basically, it allows air to pass into the manifold when the valve is open which increases idle speed (only when cold) as the device warms, the air valve slowly closes and the idle speed will returns whatever the throttle and air by-pass is set to (RPM wise). The WUR only affects cold idle RPM. 12Vdc is applied to the WUR when the car is started and from that time on the air valve starts to slowly close. When the auto is off, the 12Vdc is removed and the valve slowly starts to open again for the next cold start. The adjustment on the WUR will determine how fast the car idles when cold. Set your idle speed when the car is hot, then you can use adjust the WUR when the car is cold so that it idles at 1200-1500 rpm when cold or whatever speed you want. Hope this helps.

14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No, no, no, the WUR controls the fuel flow, in association with the fuel distributor. What you're describing is the auxiliary air valve , which sits under the expansion tank.

15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    FerrariDoc-You are correct. I don't how I missed that. It is the the Aux air valve. It sits under the expansion tank on some models, not all. Thanks

16. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No worries. Sometimes we chase down a topic so closely, we forget to stop and take a breath ;)

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Fwiw - just got my idle adjusted, using the throttle plate screw and air bypass bolt (both @ plenum). Holds nicely at around 1000-1100, and doesn't die after a quick rev in neutral. Thanks for the thread. :)