308 GTS speedometer removal | FerrariChat

308 GTS speedometer removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by oscar wilde, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oscar wilde

oscar wilde Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    In order to take the guess work out, I'd thought I'd ask here on how to remove a speedometer from a '79 308 GTS for repair. Thank you, Oscar

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Disconnect Red Power Connector under hood.
    Step one. Pull horn button and disconnect wire. Remove hex screws on steering wheel hub and remove steering wheel.
    Step two. Place towel over hub to protect it from scratches by dash panel when removed.
    Step three. Using dental floss encircle the four warning lights in each corner (one at a time) and pull them from the panel.
    Step four. Look in the holes you have just created and loosen the four screws in the four holes. You can let the screws drop. They can be fetched after removal.
    Step five. Place fingers in two lower holes and using a lifting pulling towards your chest pull out the panel far enough to access and unplug the electrical connectors which you marked with a sharpie. The panel with instruments will now be in your lap and removal of the speedo is two knurled knobs away.
    Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome Oscar!

You have ruled out the sending unit or the wiring loom itself as possible problems??