308 Handbrake Lever Bulb LED solution | Page 7 | FerrariChat

308 Handbrake Lever Bulb LED solution

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Jan 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Why the pessimism? :)

2. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So I got my car back today and could finally take the holder out. When I did, I found a 2cm piece of ground wire (green/yellow) attached to the non-open end. It has exposed strands that don't look very oxidised but I can't see where this connects.

Unzipping the gaiter, I see the handbrake light switch but little else. Before I take apart the centre console hunting for any exposed wiring, can anyone tell me where the 12V should pick up?

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #153 Martin308GTB, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Paul,

though I don't know ad lib, I could offer you to send you that 308 GTB/GTSi wiring diagram, which is very clear with separated circuits on separate pages. There you can clearly see, how the wire for this handbrake lever light is routed. It's for the US-cars, but usable for things like lights also for Euro cars.
    Though it's marked just yellow.
    I send you the pdf to your e-mail address I got together with your payment.
    On page 5 look for 'tunnel switches light'.

Best Regards
    Martin

4. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Martin. I swear I saw 12V when I checked before dismounting the holder but now I'm not so sure! It looks like I'll have to open up the console but at least it's a simple task.

5. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    When I mounted my light there was a white, plastic mounting ring with a collar that went through the metal holder. The 12V wire was attached to a terminal that went through the collar and terminated at the base of the mounting ring. Obviously the plastic collar acts as an insulator from the metal holder which is the ground. I also noticed the plastic was brittle and some pieces of the collar fell out. Be gentle with this end of the holder.

Martin-nice work on this bulb, it looks great.

6. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Joe, yes I have the collar and wire but the wire terminates after a couple of centimetres. I've lost the rest of the wire, it seems.

Thanks for the wiring diagram, Martin. I have that and I can see it is marked up as yellow, whilst mine is green & yellow. I'll open up the tunnel console and see whether I can pick the rest of it up. There's no other 12V on the lighting circuit I can think of around there except for my rear fog lamp.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I finally found time to install my green "Martin" LED bulb this evening. The light is fantastic compared to my factory green bulb; greener and at a brightness more in balance with all the other bulbs.

The thing I find startling about your LED invention is the precision of the construction. There is a lot of circuit components on a TINY little piece of circuit board. Absolutely amazing construction.

Thank you again for doing this project for the 308 community.

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yep. 3 cheers for Martin and guys like him who help us so much with our cars.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Hey, Martin, can you invent a way to get the lights on my Alfa Romeo Spider's instruments to be as bright as a Honda's?

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Tommy,

Though I don't know, how bright the instruments illumination is on a Honda, I definitely know, about which darkness you are talking with your Alfa.
    Since I own the sister car with roof ( '72 GTV 2000 ).
    Does your car also have this laughable two-stage button, which which you can choose between dark and very dark?
    Or did the '82 105/115-spider already have a stepless dimmer?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

But it should be an easy task upgrading those instruments with LED lights. Those bulbs with the correct socket are readily available.

LED lights I have so far, besides that handbrake lever light, are the rear license plate lights on the Alfa ( no more brown colored lenses) and the open door marker lights on the 308.
    The latter I did, because one day the door was open for around one hour and the bulb heated the plastic housing so much, that it literally fell out of the door.

Best Regards
    Martin

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My car had a rheostat dimmer on the left side of the steering column. I say "had" because the knob was gone when I bought the car almost 20 years ago. It is cranked up on max now.

Do you have a link you can post that would supply the correct socket led bulb that would fit my 82?

I think there is a green tint to mine but it is hard to tell now, 34 years later

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.

Tommy,
    I will take a look later into my spare Alfa instrument cluster and look what I have.
    Though I'm not sure, whether the '82 cars have the same bulbs like ten years earlier.

In the meantime this is worth a look:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/

And this:

Brighter Instrument Lights – My Solution - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Best Regards
    Martin

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Which bulb did you use for that?

15. 455Fosbery

455Fosbery Karting

Oct 3, 2013
    I would be interested in lights for the doors, etc. as well. Also do these look any different to the originals when they are switched on?

Couple of things (OK, three):

1. It is highly desirable that the current drawn be minimized wherever possible iff (meaning 'if and only if') the original illumination can be duplicated, I.e., color, intensity, and overall 'look' are precisely the same as the original.

2. That being said, the original level of brightness definitely leaves a lot to be desired. Having the illumination sufficient so that you can actually read the gauges would be nice. Not sure the degree of difficulty in having a practicable dimming capability on an LED approach (if the exercise is done properly, do we really need it?).

3. My understanding is that the dimmer is an accident just waiting to happen (due to current draw, heat dissipation, etc.). Comments?

Thought to include the link to this thread...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/246471-how-dash-lights-finally.html

There are several files in this thread detailing various upgrades, how to, and what is needed. Personally, I would like to pull the trigger and completely re-do all of the interior and door lights. Additionally, I hate the fact that quite a bit of current cycles through the switch on the steering column (meaning that I believe using relays to power the main/high beams would be a better way to go).

All input and thoughts on the above greatly appreciated.

Best,

John.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #167 Martin308GTB, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Hi John,

the only thing I can say so far, is: Yes.
    The red is somewhat 'colder' than with the filament bulb. But I don't care.
    For me it was important, that the door lights will no more melt, when I forget to close the door.

But these LED lights I used, were the first generation of automotive LED lights. BTW. They work since many years.
    I think, the best solution here, would be red LEDs, and no white ones with our red lens.
    But there are also 'warm-white' LEDs nowadays, who are supposed to resemble more the color temperature of filament bulbs. This could also be worth a try.

If it doesn't exist yet, one could purchase a SMD-LED bulb exposed LEDs and with BA9s socket and replace the white SMD - LEDs with red ones.
    I just have a new idea. But not today and not tomorrow :)

Regarding the dimmer. Since it's a rheostat, and most of the LED lights for automotive use are laid-out for working with a fairly big range of voltage ( say from 9 - 18V ) the rheostat should be usable also with those LED lights.
    This of course also applies to LEDs in reasonable quality and not those coming from India ( sorry, couldn't again not resist :)

Best Regards
    Martin

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Don't know and my Alfa is currently in Atlanta. There is a 77 Spider at a shop I use that is a donor car for a front clip. I am going to go over there this Fri and pull the dash apart and see what is back there.

19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I replaced all my external globes with LEDs. It's very important to use a colour the same as the lens. Amber for indicators and red for tail/brake. They look great. I'll take a photo and post later.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I actually found BA9s red LED lights. Most are too long - ~ 30mm -for the door marker light application.

Just found some with 23mm length. Will try them.

Best Regards
    Martin

21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #171 Aircon, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I tried this. Works great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #172 Aircon, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Aircon,

LEDS?

If so, what are the part numbers?

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes LEDs..... And damn it I knew someone would ask! I'll look it up.

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Peter,
    those red ones for the door marker lights: I actually thought, that these are too long, because they look, as if they were these 30mm long ones I mentioned above.
    Does the lens fit completely on the bulb socket holder?

I purchased a pair of those, you have for the indicators. I found them in red.

Best Regards
    Martin