308 Instrument lighting | FerrariChat

308 Instrument lighting

Discussion in '308/328' started by DonB, Oct 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    As all might be aware, the lighting in the 308 instruments ain't too good. Like many, I went with larger bulbs, #1816's and that seemed to work in the smaller gauges but not the Speedo and Tach.

I took these gauges apart..not too easy to be sure..be very careful, and here's what I found. The dial face almost touches the instrument case around the entire circumference, allowing virtually no light to pass between the dial face and the instrument case! And since the bulbs lie behind the dial face it's a double whammy.

Enter the scissors. Yes I know, WTF? However, the dial face is so large you can trim off the outer edge of the face, a little at a time, (no it does not distort the face), and still not see the modification through the lens of the instrument.

The trimming of the dial face finally allowed light to pass around the edge of the dial face and illuminate the front side of the dial. And by-passing the dimming rheostat helps even more!

There are new LED bulbs that will fit the factory sockets and fit inside the fixture. They're on...you guessed it...Amazon. They are polarity sensitive but are bright with no heat.

YOOSEN Ceramics Interior/Exterior LED Light Super Stable and Bright Bulb Bayonet BA9 BA9S 53 57 1895 64111 T4W Size White Color

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #2 Crowndog, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Could you post some pictures?

Also recommended reading: “How to Dash lights” by Magnum on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mwr4440 likes this.
  3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    By the way what a ballsy approach, pretty cool. How much did you trim off? 1/8” 1/4” and was it the whole circumference?

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Do these also fit the other gauge fixtures, such as the turn signal indicators?

5. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

I did this a long time ago and just thought about posting on it so no pics...sorry. Yes the LED's fit the other light positions..at least they do on my BBi, which are apparently the same as the 308.

I think I took off about 1/8" or a little less around the whole circumference. I can't express how tight the gap was between the dial face and housing...what a crap design.....oh, I forgot, it's Veglia.

FYI, the instrument face trim/bezel/chrome trim ring turns (with your palm) and aligns with little "ears" and then can be pulled off. Then, by undoing screws on the back of the instrument, you can pull the guts out.

I used a twelve volt source and trim and test if you know what I mean, before reinstalling the gauge.

Crowndog and thorn like this.
  6. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

I looked at magnum's post and info. Very nicely done! I think, from the pictures, that perhaps Veglia figured out their design flaw by the time the 308QV came out. My '79 GTB gauges were barley visible even with bigger bulbs prior to my mod.

Crowndog likes this.
  7. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Not really. I did the upgrade in my 85 QV and it was a big improvement. But the speedometer needle is still invisible at night!

8. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

Take a deep breath, and do some trimming! Let the light shine through.

Crowndog likes this.
  9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Magnum did a great write-up. But one correction. On the early cars both speedo and tach have the same type of BA9s bulbs. Not T5 on one and BA9s on the other.

Best from Germany
    Martin

10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes and other small details need highlighting. Bipolar bulbs needed in some red dot indicators within the gauges for example.