308 Interior removal questions | FerrariChat

308 Interior removal questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Sean F., Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Specifically, does the cover over the inside of the A-Pillar just snap off, or is it screwed down somehow? It's not obvious and I don't want to just start prying on it.

Some of the vinyl over the A-piller has pulled out a little and it would be much easier to fix if I could remover the piece, fold it back over and glue it down than try to glue/tuck it back in while in place.

thanks

2. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    The A-pillar cover is in two pieces. The inner one prys off, but it's made from aluminum, so be gentle. Pry it only at the connectors. There are 3, one about 1" from each end and one in the middle. Once you have the center piece off, the other piece is pretty obvious.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Just to be sure, I consider the 'A' pillar the one that goes from the roof to the base of the dash along the side of the windshield. If so I removed mine last winter and this is the way to do it.

1. Pull back the pressed in door seal that is along the 'A' pillar.

2. Look in the channel vacated by this seal (the one between the interior and door frame). You will see the back side of 3-4 pop rivets. Remove these rivets by either drilling them out or knocking thir backs off with a hammer and chisel (I prefer the latter method).

3. Once the rivets are out, use a flat headded screwdriver to gently seperate the 'a' pillar trim from the door frame. This trim is aluminum and soft so take care.

4. Carefully pull the trim piece out. Note that it may stick a little between the glass and trim. There are no fastners here only residual urethane from the glass install. It is normally just a bit and can be overcome with a little tug.

Good luck with the project.

Rob

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Nuvolari,

Yes, when I say A-pillar that is the part I mean. I'm having trouble envisioning what you're saying, but I'll have a look tonight.

The interior piece I'm refering to is attached to the inside of the a-pillar, covered with black vinyl and does not move when the door is opened.

5. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    While we're on the topic, how about the center console. How does the center plate in the center console attach? Can I replace a switch and remove that top cover without removing the entire console (I want to recover that top piece there)...

Thanks,

Wayne

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The center consoles vary a bit by model, but in general you have to take out the inner piece of the ashtray. Remove the two screws underneath. Now you can lift up the center console containing the switches and work on those.

On the QV the two instruments forward have two more screws, loosen those and you can push out the clock from underneath.

7. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Cool - that would have been my first guess (under the ashtray). Also the removal of the shifter gate?

-Wayne

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    From memory, so I'm not sure, but I thought the shifter gate was attached with two screws visible from the outside. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The shifter gate does not have to come out, only the ash tray. Once you pull the 2 screws from the ashtray base and lift out the ash tray. The center console will lift out. What is a little tricky is that the heater levers will only let your console come out so far and then they have to be removed to get the whole piece out. Take pictures or make a drawing because I assure you that the proper placement of something will be forgotten. Good luck with your project.

Rob

P.S. Wayne that is the best avatar of anyone by miles.

10. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Thanks! If I have a few free moments, I will tackle this tonite.

The Avatar is our company logo / mascot! www.pelicanparts.com

:)

-Wayne

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good luck - There was a good thread last month on the subject here :

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632

I have taken out the rear deck, seats, and center console of my 328 - Feel free to shoot me any questions you may encounter.

12. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Wayne,
    Any chance you and Tom will do for Ferrari parts what you have done for Porsche and BMW parts? <cough>start with 308's<cough>

13. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    No plan for it right now...

-Wayne

14. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Hi Sean,

Seams you are the guy who can help me. Thanks to your post, I now understand what the A-pillar mean.

What about the C-pillar? Do you have any idea which part it could be?

Many thanks.

15. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    The A-Pillar is generally referred to as the forward part that goes from the roof to the front of the car along the windshield.

The B-Pillar is generally referred to as the door post which goes from the back of the door up to the roof. On 2-door cars this par will move with the door. On a 4-door car, this part may or may not move with the door, and the rear door will be attached to and pivot along this axis.

The C-pillar is generally referred to as the rear part that goes from the roof down the back to the rear fender.

Basically, the "pillars" hold up the roof of the car. A=Front, B=Middle, C=Rear

16. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Hey Slag328 - can you have a look at my post about the light under the handbrake. Mine doesn't work and I want to dig around for it. Any idea where the wire leads to? Is there a separate fuse for this light?

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sorry Quasi - It was a 328 I took apart - The handbrake is to the left on the driver seat with no such light - Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but someone here probably knows - The thread in referance is :

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5417