308 Marketing Ideas, Help Appreciated! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Marketing Ideas, Help Appreciated!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BrandSB, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  2. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. Bigfella70

Bigfella70 Rookie

Jul 23, 2017
    Steve, pm sent.

Regards.

Dave

4. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello Fellow UK FerrariChat Members,
    First, deep thanks to all members who responded to my original post, especially Jonathan Tremlett who was extremely helpful with ideas and suggestions. I finally decided to offer the cars for sale through H&H Auctions at their October 16th auction at the Duxford Imperial War museum. In doing so I had to accept the market realities as many of you pointed out and offer them at prices that should ensure their sale as follows:

1982 GTSi starting range: $35-40k BPS
    1984 QV starting range: $45-55k BPS
    1983 QV Euro starting range: $75-85k BPS Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Of course hoping that the auction environment will bid them higher but they’re priced to sell. Hence, give them a look and please let me know if you have any questions pre-auction if you’re thinking about bidding. There are links below too with more pics coming for the Euro-spec. Thanks again for everyone’s kind input and support that helped get me here!

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/118/lot/45910/
    https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/118/lot/45911/
    https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/118/lot/45912/

daytona355 likes this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    One down two to go by the looks of it

I missed the bidding for the last two but in truth the ranges still looked quite optimistic (as were rather too many of the others too)

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The sensibly estimated car sold, the optimistic ones didn’t. I’m afraid it’s a terrible time to try and sell even a pristine, low miles, coddled local and known classic Ferrari of any type, let alone one with US market side repeaters and the steering wheel on the wrong side.
    When you’re selling you need to think about buyers...who in the UK would buy a US car? Why would a Euro buyer buy a US car in the UK? I’m afraid they seem expensive to me.
    I would either consign them to a UK auction house with no reserve and not worry about them again, or repatriate them.
    That doesn’t mean they are not lovely cars.

Bluebottle likes this.
  7. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Greyboxer, thanks for your note and yes, you are correct, the ‘82 GTSi did sell (slightly below reserve) and the QV’s didn’t come close. Tough day for the Ferrari’s as the Mondial and 500 mile 328 didn’t sell either, the Dino hit its numbers. The QV’s will be with H&H for a week (still avail!) then back to SMC to re-group. Thanks for watching some of the auction, lots to learn from my experiment.

8. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your insightful comments, I agree with most of them. Regarding the values, H&H guided me but also gaging them based on what it would cost to return them to the US and sell them here. The process is so complicated that it may make more sense to Euro auction and be done. Does anyone have any auction experience there?

It’s interesting, the QV’s command a 20-50% premium in the states over the GTSi’s, doesn’t seem to be as significant there. Thanks again for everyone’s input. One down and two to go on this journey!

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Try Joe Macari, he’s a great name in the business, and moves a lot of cars, also you could try HR Owen as a main dealer, since they are based in central London where high prices are the norm.... that’s your market at high price points, city boys with big bonuses to spend

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Next big Ferrari auction is at the nec next month. Not sure who is running it, probably southerbys or Bonhams or something.

Silverstone Ferrari auction would possible have been the place for them.

11. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, I’ve been in the process of getting the two back to SMC these past two weeks. Will look into both suggestions, appreciate the guidance!

daytona355 likes this.
  12. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, I’d spoken to Silverstone first but ended up with H&H. Probably looking at auctions after the first of the year now given the timing. May also push them over to a German or EU auction to capture the LHD market.

13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't know when HR Owen last sold a 308 but it won't have been this century so you'd be wasting your time talking to them really. I don't think you'd get much further with Joe Macari but they'd be a better bet than HR Owen and do at least sell older cars.