308 oil cooler hoses | FerrariChat

308 oil cooler hoses

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ria, Jan 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    does anybody know where to get the oil cooler hoses at a good price!!! the lowest price that i can find is $ 320 for both. i wen to 3 different hose shops and one that carry metric sizes no luck. $ 320 i think is way to high.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I bought mine at GT Car Parts in Phoenix AZ for $250 for both. That is about as low as it gets.

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    A hydraulic hose shop can put new hoses on your existing banjo fittings.

Make sure they use metric metallic hose, as the same O.D. as OEM.

Cost should be less than $100 for both hoses.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  5. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    the $ 320 is from GT CARPARTS . is there a hydraulic shop that did this kind of work with metric hoses that any of you can post here with tel no and adress . the hose shops around here in brunswick ohio i had no luck. thanks.

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I just had my upper hose rebuilt for $50. It doesn't look very pretty - they crushed the fittings a bit too much on to the lines, but it'll do the job. Another time, I'd have the lines rebuilt using Aeroquip fittings. Dave Bendl had both his lines done for $150 or so I think at the local Aeroquip shop. They use the stock fittings and the Aeroquips

7. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Read my earlier thread ( last week) re: hoses. I had both of mine rebuilt by a local shop that's been doing nothing but high pressure hoses for 20 yrs and the hose blew off of the fitting after running the car for 5 min!!! I'll be cleaning up oil until Spring. Rather than risk it again, I ordered 2 OEM hose from T Rutland--their price, the best I could find was $268 each. I searched everywhere and this was the best price I could find . Good luck.

8. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    What year car is yours, Ria? Mine is an '85 QV--the hoses must be different. I just reread your post--$320 for BOTH--that doesn't sound bad to me.

9. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    doc my car is a 1980 308gtsi 2 valve

10. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My first reply since joining, so I hope I'm doing this right....

As a former aircraft owner and hopeless tinkerer, I've had the problem of replacing oil hoses on my aero engines. The solution is going to the General Aviation part of major airports and finding the Aeroquip dealer/maintenance shop. If it's reliability you want, these guys do it - the FAA frowns on shoddy workmanship. The shop owner also knows that a blown oil line on takeoff will reduce his customer base by at least one person!

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My busted oil line caused my engine rebuild, so I did not take any chances. Bought new ones from GT Car Parts who also sourced all my Ferrari Parts. Bill gave me a good deal, good service, and good tech information.

12. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i think i will give bill a call at GT carparts marinelo auto parts is $ 40.00 more for same parts.

13. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's fine yelcab, sounds like the parts met your comfort level and were at a great price. Not knocking that at all. Since I'm rebuilding my engine now, I can imagine the trauma involved with your "meltdown", and you wanting to avoid a repeat.

My point was that there are alternatives to buying factory hoses from sources that are proven super reliable, if you are willing to find those sources. If a car oil line breaks, you pull over, but if an aircraft hose breaks, you fall, sometimes a very long way. Thus, any part made for an aircraft is (as NASA would say) "man-rated", meaning failure could result in loss of life. Thats the reason why a plane crash always makes the evening news - they are very rare.

And even factory parts are often outsourced to contractors, so I wouldn't be surprised if F didn't actually make their own hose assemblies. Picture Mario making hoses in a village in the Italian countryside..........(just kidding!).

But the bottom line is that if you don't want to go to the trouble, then buy the hoses outright from F or a parts source at the best price. If you are willing, or have a F that the stock hoses aren't available for, or need to reroute lines, then you might try what I suggested. Cheers!