308 Oil pressure? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Oil pressure?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mr Iceman, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Ali,
    I think that for the next oil change I might try the Pennzoil. The Castrol is hard to find . Thanks.

2. Mr Iceman

Mr Iceman Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks very much guys this really is helping, its put my mind at rest that my oil presures seem fine. I think Ive got it sussed.

this is my understanding also.

I have another spanner to throw into the works:

[BOLD]People say that if they get low or zero oil pressures during hard cornering on a wet sumped car to overfill the oil by a litre or so. do you guys agree with this? if so why does the manufacturer put a maximum mark on the dipstick in the first place, I'm interested because I intend to do a few track events this summer......[/BOLD]

Regards
    Scotty

3. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I wouldnt do it, do a search of previous threads and you will find alot of discusion about dry sumps. I would go dry sump if I took my car to the track more than once.

I know on most non exotic cars the reason you have a high mark on the dip stick is to prevent oil foaming when the oil is high enough to be stirred up like a blender by the crank shaft. When you get to this point your oil will be about half air bubbles and not effective, so IMHO Dont just add more oil.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is better to pump oil filled with air bubbles around the engine than to pump raw air through the engine, however, neither is as good as pumping real oil.

But many of the cars with 'minor' oiling problems on the track has poor return passages in the heads so that much of the added oil gets pumped up to the heads and has trouble flowing back to the pan quick enough to allow the crankshaft to whip it into a bubblified mess. So, the oil pump does not 'eat' air nor does the crank whip it to a frothy mess.

5. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham

The oil temp sending unit is just underneath the starter motor, sticking into the sump. You can unscrew it easily, but you have to get to it from underneath the car.

Brand preference for oil? Nope, I'm pretty philosophical about it. I reckon all the big names must be OK. In fact a friend of mine is the country technical manager for the oil company that ryhmes with hell, and he said a few years back they'd done tests and one of the local supermarket brands came out as one of the best. Mmmm?

Oil pressure ? - with 0-40 oil it is a bit lower than in the book. The needle is straight down at anything over about 3000 rpm even when hot. At very hot idle it's very low, but I think that's OK.