308 Oil temp gauge question | FerrariChat

308 Oil temp gauge question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Jul 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I have a 75 gt4 and the water temp gauge is always slow to warm up and the oil temp hardly ever moves unless it get real hot (BTW it is ususally 75 degrees here all year long, sorry guys!). My friend Martin just got a gt4 (tweety) and he says his oil temps show hotter than the water. Since mine has been like this for 12 years I assumed mine was normal. Can any of you tell me what yours does. Maybe I need a new sender???

Rob

Dont you need to remove the oil pan to remove the sender?
    :p
    just kidding

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Start with the thermistor, it's inexpensive (s/b under $20).

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yeah if you are concerned Rob, just replace it...I bought one about 4 years ago (Veglia) from T.Rutlands for $14. One of the cheapest parts I every bought for my 308! I don't know about "being the same" but both oil and water temps were usually "straight up" at "noon" on the guages on my 308. When the oil read much higher than the water, that was when I found my sender had failed and replaced it. SO....it could be HIS has failed and yours is fine.....

Dave

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    No need to drop the oil pan to remove the sending unit, just the oil (do this replacement during your next oil change). The unit is located on the front face of the tranny/engine oil case, right next to where the shifter shaft enters the case (Driver's side).

My gauge on the dash is slow too. In fact, I have to do the old aircraft/pilot's technique and give the gauge face a tap with my finger to wake it up after the first few miles!

With my new aftermarket oil cooler set-up (see old thread in Tech Q&A), the fan is supposed to kick on at 180*F, but my temp needle doesn't look like it sits at that temp during running (and I know for a fact that it holds that constant temp, as I can hear the fan going on and off) - looks like it reads lower than that. And I've replaced that sending unit already, so it must be the gauge. But I'm in no rush to do so - at least it works and these are infamously inaccurate, so I wouldn't have too much faith in a new one anyways!

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Peter, I didn't even change my oil to replace the sender (it had been changed only a few hundred miles before), just stuck my finger up against the hole to hold back the torrent, while a fumbled with the new one... ;)

6. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    On my GT4 the oil gage is also slow to move. By that I mean for the first few minutes it's pegged to the left (cold). If I flick the gage face it will move off of the pegged position and then operate normally. If I don't it will eventually move, but not linearly, it will move quickly to the quarter point. So it seems that the gage is just sticking alittle.
    So I concur; try flicking it after a couple of minutes and see if that does the trick. (And in fact I have the same problem with my oil temperature gage in my airplane. Have to flick the gage to get it to ambient temp on start up, so it probably is an old airplane technique.)