308 Parking Light/Headlight Modification Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Parking Light/Headlight Modification Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanishCarnut

DanishCarnut Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Heine Hansen
    Perfect - Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks !

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    On my 85 Euro QV I can turn on the parking lights on without the headlights up. Is this a issue on US cars? I have never modified the car for this.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Mine does the same.

4. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I don't know if it's a US car issue or if it's just an older model issue. The car I modded is a '77 US version.

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Same for my 84 Euro QV - it appears this was standard on at least the Euro QVs, don't know about earlier Euro cars. Maybe someone would check out the wiring diagram for a Euro QV to see how the Ferrari factory achieved this!

6. MonsterCro

MonsterCro Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes Mine (84 euro QV) is the same. Rotate the light switch on the stork and the parking lights come on. It's not untill you pull the stork down that the light buckets pop up

7. DanishCarnut

DanishCarnut Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Heine Hansen
    Mine is a 1978 Euro GTB (dry sump) and it pop the headlights when turning on the parkinglights.

8. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    BTW, I was just reading this thread and one of the concerns was that you could potentially accidentally leave your parking lights on and you wouldn't have the obvious indicator of your headlights being raised. That was indeed a problem and concern of mine.

Here's a link to the thread about a warning buzzer for your lights. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/parking-light-mod-with-a-twist-headlight-warning-buzzer.482291/

It was a really simple and elegant solution and I popped it into my car. The little radio shack buzzer that I got was pretty attention getting, so most of the time, the threat of hearing it was what reminded me to turn off the lights. Every so often that little sucker would get me though...

ferrariowner likes this.
  9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That's a good idea David. I have accidentally turned on or left my parking lights on in the past. Luckily, I caught it before the battery was dead.

10. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    For just this reason I installed a buzzer so if my keys are removed and the lights are on the buzzer goes on.

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Aus delivered '85 QV - buckets go up on park... until I hot-rodded it.

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #37 Steve Magnusson, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    IIRC, having a "flashing" function is also involved. On US cars (without dedicated front fog/flashing lights), the buckets need to be up to have something to quickly flash when only the parking lights are "on". If you disable the buckets, the low beams might still flash with just the parking lights "on" -- but just at the ground ;), or the buckets might try to come up but that's way too slow for flashing (I can't recall, and might depend on just how the buckets are disabled).

13. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    If you are referring to the "flash to pass", the buckets come up and then lower when you pull the headlight lever. At least that's what happened when I did the above listed mod on my '77. If you are referring to the emergency flashers, the parking lights and rear lights flash. I don't know if the headlights are flashing with lowered buckets. I never thought to check. But it's kind of funny to think about...

14. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    On my 85 Euro QV, when you pull the stalk back for flash to pass, the driving lights in the grill light up. The headlights stay down. I agree with Steve that raising the buckets would be too slow for this.

15. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    Oh it's definitely too slow. First time I did it I absolutely cracked up. I was flashing an oncoming car to warn them that they might want to slow down a little unless they wanted to donate to the law enforcement officer that was about a mile in front of him. I pulled the flash and my headlights awoke from their slumber and raised the alarm. I think the poor guy was probably in the next county before my lights actually were fully up.

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, I think that behavior is related to the modification that you made. I just reviewed the US version '78-79 308B/S schematic, and it indicates that the stock behavior is (and I'd be surprised if a stock US '77 wasn't the same):

1. headlight knob not rotated regardless of lever position = headlight buckets down. Pull stalk = nothing happens.
    2. headlight knob rotated "on" with lever in "headlights off" position = headlight buckets up, all headlights "off'. Pull stalk = low (dipped) beam headlights flash.
    3. headlight knob rotated "on" with lever in "low (dipped) beam" position = headlight buckets up, low (dipped) beam headlights "on". Pull stalk = low (dipped) beam headlights flash a little bit brighter.
    4. headlight knob rotated "on" with lever in "high (main) beam" position = headlight buckets up, high (main) beam headlights "on". Pull stalk = low (dipped) beam headlights flash.

Could you please report the same results on your modified system for those same 4 conditions when pulling the stalk? (And that applies to anyone who would like to contribute, just please give year/version/model and whether stock or modified.)

17. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    For '77 GTB S/N 22963 which I believe to be Stock: 1,2,and 3 are as above. 4 however, blinks often when the High Beam is asked for. Both when it is switched to High Beam, and when it is "Flashed" to High Beam. It seems I might have intermittent contact(?). Fiddling with the lever helps bring it back from Off to Bright.

18. trs666

trs666 Karting

Apr 17, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tommi S.
    In Sweden we have had mandatory DRL:s since 80:s. The parking light are not OK and i do not want to drive with the pods up to please the sheriff.
    It was popular back then to use these Talmu yellow lamps which were OK to use as DRL:s.
    Found a new set of these and assembled behind the grille, wired so that they and parking lights light when ignition is on.
    A relay and a diode so when i turn the light switch to parking or main lights (pods up on -85 Euro QV) the yellow ones go off.
    Sorry for the Porger, only picture i have running with the yellows when we were footed to a Swedish car magazine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ///TRS

DanishCarnut likes this.
  19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I tried LED's in the parking lights but found they were too bright (at least the ones I bought) they made the rears look pink and the fronts almost white. After doing the bucket mod with the diodes I think that using those LED bulbs in the front parking sockets with the clear lens Euro caps would make pretty decent DRL's or flash-to-pass lights. You could probably even get brighter ones than the ones I got without worrying about the heat.

20. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I used a different mod for my 85 US car involving two momentary contact switches and a relay.
    One button activates the relay which turns on just the parking lights.
    The other button deactivates the relay.
    The buttons are hidden in the top of the little alcove on the left side of the steering column in my LHD car.
    Advantage is when car is turned off the relay is also de-energized thus turning off the parking lights automatically.

21. DanishCarnut

DanishCarnut Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Heine Hansen
    Do you by any chance have the wiring diagram to make this mod ?

22. trs666

trs666 Karting

Apr 17, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tommi S.
    Sorry for late response, was at the Geneva car show the whole week.
    F8 Tributo is, for me anyhow, the best looking V8 since 308 and F355. Ferrari let me in to their fenced show area as a registered owner.
    No real diagram, used just a normal 4 pole relay and a diode and some thinking! As i see you are from Denmark so if you google "kopplingsshema varselljus" you find some diagrams. "jord" means ground in Swedish, otherwise they have the standard relay figures.
    The flag for copyright so don't attach here.
    ///TRS

DanishCarnut likes this.
  23. DanishCarnut

DanishCarnut Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Heine Hansen
    Sounds like a good show ;-)

Thanks for Your reply. I will try to figure out how to connect the DRL's the parkinglights, without having the pods go up. That will be the biggest issue. Or else I simply have to manually put in a switch for the relay that makes the pods go up. I'll try to figure something out.

24. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    That's how I wired mine, except I used the aerial switch. A very nice mod

Sent from my SM-N920I using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Crowndog likes this.
  25. DanishCarnut

DanishCarnut Rookie