308 Prices? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Prices?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr.Bleed, Jun 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    my company gives me a transportation allowance, monthly.

All the normal guys buy big construction trucks, but I keep buying these funny Italian cars!

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Peoplefirst.com, now Capital One Auto Financing, has a 'blank check' program where they just finance a certain amount, and they don't care what the car actually is. Useful if your taste runs to something unusual.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They've not seen my credit rating, obviously! :)

4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Maybe the reason you're waiting a couple more years is that you're buying a house. In that case you can do as I did and use an equity line to finance the car. On the one hand, I mortgaged my house to buy a Ferrari (not generally wise), but on the other....I can write off the payments (always a good thing)!

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm actually financing mine. I need to build credit since I've never taken a loan out for anything, and since I'm turning 30 soon, I figured it would be nice to have have a history established before I buy a house. I figured I'd like to take a loan out on something that actually will hold it's value, so that's how I bought my 308. The only thing is that the loans on older vehicles are of higher interest, so be prepared to pay it off early so you don't get screwed. My interest rate is 9%. I'm financing a little more than half of what I payed for the car, so I'm not going to be totally hosed with interest.
    Jim

6. 308dino

308dino Rookie

Jun 15, 2004
    Hollywood Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I own 59099 and it is stock.

The Red exterior with Red interior & Black piping is original and I have the window sticker to prove it.

It is “alive and kicking” in California. It is in perfect cosmetic and mechanical condition with 34,000 miles.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's pretty cool! Is it a GTS or GTB??????

Sounds beautiful....got a picture????

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    J.J.BEST is great for older car financing. i paid cash for my 308 , but it was a beater that needed work. i am sure i will finance part of the next Ferrari , as all the V12 cars i want are $$$$$ yikes!

9. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    A couple of months ago, #59169 was for sale on eBay. That number isn't listed on the QV register site, but Carfax lists it as a 1985 308 with 7 records so I have to assume it is a valid serial number.

It was black/red and was listed in Pittsburgh, PA.

10. 308dino

308dino Rookie

Jun 15, 2004
    Hollywood Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It is a GTS.

11. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    I'm doubtful that there are many easily-located. really good QVs with recent service available in the mid 30s.

I have found a red/tan US model QV with not quite 40,000 miles and due for an immediate service for mid 30s. There are no records, books or tools with the car, and Carfax shows absolutely nothing. Myra at Ferrari North America told me this is not the first time she has seen this. It is possible that it is a one owner car and was sold before Carfax started gathering California records.

The car has been nicely repainted and the interior has been completely professionally re-dyed. The windshield is perfect, and there is no evidence it has ever been changed. The leather is butter soft, softest I have ever seen in a Ferrari, and the overall car is gorgeous. The only thing I don't like about the appearance is that the wheels have been repainted and could have been done a bit better, but still not bad. There is no rust. None. Engine and front bonnet compartments are immaculate. Rocker panels and front spoiler are fine. The air works well after we charged it.

I had a very thorough PPI done. My principal concern is that the oil pressure doesn't reach the center of the guage. I know some of the guages and sending units were inaccurate so I had a manual pressure test done. When warm, it delivers 30psi at idle and 75 at 6,000rpm. Three individual mechanics have told me they consider this adequate, but I still wonder a bit. Compression was great. 150 in one and 155 in all the others. Coolant and oil temps run perfect.

As I mentioned, I'll do a complete major service and add new tires. The brakes are garbage now so I'll try Porterfield pads to see if that works. If not I may have to have the calipers rebuilt. The vacuum boost works OK. It may need injectors one of these days. The transmisson is silky and goes into second smoothly even stone cold.

Worst case I will wind up with 42-43 in a car that will have a fresh service, solid clutch and drivetrain and really superb cosmetics. I'll shop around and find tools and books some day. I foresee owning this car a long time.

I guess logic says I should walk away from this car, but I doubt I'd find an original one that is any nicer and that might take a year of looking. Life is short. I'd rather be driving this beatiful automobile now.

What does everyone think? Am I being stupid or not?

12. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    That's a beauty. It looks like you have drilled the front bumper shocks to drain the fluid and then pushed the bumper in. It looks much cleaner than stock. If you did this, were there any problems?

13. 308dino

308dino Rookie

Jun 15, 2004
    Hollywood Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Thanks for your compliments.

The previous owner pushed in the bumper so I have no idea how he did it. I also like the way it looks but worry about the lack of protection to the frame and other parts if I get in a minor accident so I am going to have the bumper shocks replaced soon.

14. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Why are 308 gt4s so expensive at the moment?

I thought they were the Ferrari no one wanted?

15. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Is 23k sterling too much to pay for a GT4?

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a premium price for a 308GT4 IMO, but as Morrie has pointed out, EACH individual car needs to be assessed for condition before the chorus comes out that "That's too much to pay"......

History has not been kind to the GT4 as far as popularity but that in no way impacts that vehicle itself. I've read opinions from publications that assert it actually is a better handling car than the GTB!

Heck, the Dinos were a hard sell when new, but have outpaced the GTB ever since, in value.

Morrie, if I was looking at a vehicle in the condition you describe I wouldn't let the lack of history worry me too much, but would depend on a thorough PPI....

Think about it, these cars are reaching the point in age where ONLY a well cared for example or one with a lot of reconditioning $$$$ will have curb appeal. The rest are starting to look tatty if they have not been cared for...
    you will see it in the details...worn belts and leather, nasty mechanicals, etc.

When you find a clean one you have to go a little above the "best price" $$$ you read in all the valuation tables. Plus, as some have pointed out in Vintage Section, these numbers creep up and down based upon many factors.

Drive what you like, pay what you can afford........

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh, and Morrie, Ferrari Uk has been really good with the complete tool kits, not cheap but they are available..

Of course for the money you could call Griot's and score the Facom F1 kits they offer.....way cool!

Don't forget a nice fire extinguisher,........no kidding!

18. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
  19. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Check it out if youve got time......its at;

www.nickcartwright.com

Click on stock and its near the bottom of the list.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks very much,

Julian.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It shows the price at 19,9K pounds..the red/red??

That appears to be a fine example IMO. A look over his other inventory shows a fine selection of cars. This type of dealer seems to be picky about the cars they buy...

Have you posted in the UK Section on this?? Someone there may hit upon the history of this particular car.

We have a US version here and really, I like the car, and FWIW the gf was drawn to it for some reason, even with 2 308GTBs in her driveway already!

Remember that IMO it's better to spend a little extra on the purchase as opposed to having to restore it. Note on this car the previous owner has spent big bucks on paint, etc. That's what you look for!

HTH

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh! I'm sorry, I overlooked the red/tan just above, at the 23K pounds!

man, the concours awards speak for themselves don't they??

Also, the long term ownership cited is a big plus. Sounds like they've known that car a long time!

22. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    This GT4 is a rhd import from Hong Kong, wasnt originally red and was an insurance right off so all in all its not the car for me.

As for the concours car......you think its a good bet even at £23,000?

What do you think of the tan interior?

And do you think 21000 miles is accurate?

And if it is is that good or bad as i know GT4s like to be used not stored?

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The 21K miles may be accurate.. I bought a '77 308 last May that only had 29K miles on it. It drives like brand new.....I put 3200 more on it over the weekend!

See if they are hard on that $$$ or if they have any wiggle room.

A lightly used car really isn't such a huge problem. The horror stories are more from the cars stored long term, for years. Sounds like this one was exercised, at least driving to club meets!

A concours quality 308GT4 is such a rare thing here in the US I really can't recall a similar deal. There's no shame in paying more for a pristine example, IMO.

24. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    What do you think of the tan interior?

I think its the best example currently on the market and really a buyer should always go for the best example available, money permitting, rather than a cheaper one needing work, dont you think, especially as im buying it to keep long term?

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Totally agree!

The tan was very popular with the red exterior.