308 QV Creaking Sound from coolant tank | FerrariChat

308 QV Creaking Sound from coolant tank

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mr Gee, May 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Berkshire United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Colin Gee
    Hi Gents

I would like to seek some advice please, I took my 308 QV for a long drive after two months of lockdown, and noticed a couple of unusual things, probably me being paranoid.. but here goes

1. I notice that the car got up o 195 degrees after only two miles.. which it normally take around 5 miles for the gauge to even move? I guessed this may be nothing more than a sticking thermostat?.. but secondly
    2. I noticed after the run, and the car was sat in the garage about an hour later, there was a small creaking sound every minute or so coming from the coolant header tank, I undid the Rad cap to released the pressure when it was safe to do so, and the noise stopped... I put the cap back on, and it started again after a few minutes....this went on for the next two or three hours? And then finally stopped.
    so I guess my question is... is this pressure related creaking sound something to worry about?.. or Is this fairly normal? And maybe a new cap and thermostat is in order?

any advise would be greatly appreciated

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    How old is the cap? They are a consumable item; the first overheat I had was due to an old cap.

Mr Gee likes this.
  3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Also, check for air in the radiator. Bleed it, then check coolant level in expansion tank.

Mr Gee and flash32 like this.
  4. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Berkshire United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Colin Gee
    Hi... not sure how old the cap is, but I’ll change it regardless... however.. I took her for another 100 mile trip and she behaved perfectly... and funnily no creaking sound maybe where it hadn’t been driven for two months... it just had a small hiccup Thanks for the advise