308 QV engine vs 328 engine? | FerrariChat

308 QV engine vs 328 engine?

Discussion in '308/328' started by HotShoe, Nov 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Just curious how the two engines stack up. Is there any significant differences between the two other than the increased size?

I ask because I'm tempted to pick up a 328 engine to "hot rod". I could keep my stock Euro QV engine for originality to swap back in the future should I need to. Nothing two crazy but I'd really like to add carbs or ITB's.

The carbed Mondial sticky threads got me thinking bad thoughts. I really, really love the vintage look and sound of carbs :) It's more of a Singeresque project. I'm not looking for 400+ horsepower.

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Don't fool around. Turbocharge it and hold on. It will not make much difference if its a QV or 328 engine. Both will require rebuilding for boost.

good luck.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There's a bolt on Supercharge kit you can buy for stock QV or 328 block that can put out close we to 350 HP.

4. aaladesawe

aaladesawe Rookie

Mar 26, 2017
    Which is better supercharger or turbocharger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I lean towards supercharger. Mike C did it to his. He has had about a decade of trouble free enjoyment from it now.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Supercharger, less heat, Instant power, and no turbo lag.

8. aaladesawe

aaladesawe Rookie

Mar 26, 2017
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    a Ferrari 360 with 400 factory HP: sell the 308 and buy it :)

ciao

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thanks for the replies.

My sole goal isn’t more horsepower. If it was I’d probably just supercharge it. I love the 3.5 liter engines but IMO the pricing is insane.

I’m looking more to get back to Ferrari’s vintage roots by ditching the terrible fuel injection. I’m a big fan of Singer and how the 911 crowd ditched their FI for carbs. I have a CNC to machine my own parts.

I found a 328 engine and was thinking of using it simply so I could easily swap back to original by keeping my QV engine. Hence my question if it would be worth it or if they are essentially the same.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Are you not going to have to replace the cams to get the most from the carbs?

Finding them may be the hardest part of all this

12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Excellent question. I’ll have to reread the Mondial threads. If I remember correctly his first setup used stock cams. He did upgrade the cams later, hopefully it’s a readily available source. Lots of info in there but I need to sift through and make a list. My memory is hazy.

13. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    i know that heads, cams are slightly different and the upped CR with the larger displacement. a mondial unit will have a hydraulic clutch issue to deal with..

14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    You'll end up down the rabbit hole, so you might as well plan the full schmeer from the get-go. To get the most out of the carbs, change the cams. To get the best out of the carbs/cams, up the CR, which means new pistons. So you should rebuild the bottom end when you have it all apart. So might as well service the heads with new guides - while you're in there, and to get the most out of the carbs/cams/increased CR, you really should port the heads. If you're going to do all that, new pulley bearings and seals, too. And clutch. To really take full advantage, it's not much more to lighten the flywheel. You know, if you're going to completely re-do everything, it's probably not much more to put a 360 crank and new liners to up the capacity. Actually, now you've gone this far, why not ditch the (still new in the box) carbs, and put in TB injection - it'll look the same, and work much better... Actually, now I think of it...

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You would be going backwards with carbs. A good stand alone FI system is a far better and reliable choice.

16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lol, it does get endless! I already restored the suspension, cooling, AC, brakes and steering so the can of worms is officially opened. :)

Technically true but I still think carbs are a thing of beauty. If I chicken out on the carbs or ITB's I'll probably just add EFI and call it a day.