308 QV Front Wheel Bearing Question | FerrariChat

308 QV Front Wheel Bearing Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by fiatbrett, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatbrett

fiatbrett Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brett B
    When replacing the front wheel bearings, do I need to pack the hubs with grease between the bearings as well as the bearings themselves? If so why? I would think grease is only needed where bearings touch races and spindle?

Thanks for input.

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    In short the answer is no, but as an apprentice mechanic back in the eighties we were taught it was the done thing, to pack the entire hub with grease.
    Then when the bearings were being serviced next time, you washed the black grease from the bearings and the clean untouched grease from the middle of the hub.
    All that being said, grease is comparatively cheap and you're better off having too much (within reason) than too little.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I put some extra grease in the hub, but it is not "packed" in there. It's like an extra bit of peanut butter on the sandwich; not the whole jar full.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    People can over pack bearing by pushing it in from both sides, they then run hot. Push the grease in from one side with the palm of your hand, it will then squeeze out the other side , run your finger around the bearing where it has come out and throw the excess away. Job done

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That became a huge topic of discussion many years ago at a company I worked for. Several of us went off and found all the then available lubrication tech research material on it we could. The consensus was to fill the internal cavity even with the OD of the outer races. That theory came from old greases that could get thin enough in use from heat that it could flow from the bearing into those areas. Modern greases, assuming you are using one really dont do that but if you feel like filling that area there is no down side.

rjlloyd and Du_Man like this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am currently changing front wheel bearings (using Timkens). What are the best modern (preferably synthetic) greases for this application?

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Redline makes a grease they market as a CV joint grease called CV-2. It's not a synthetic but SWEPCO also make a great product called 101 Moly.

Brian A, miketuason and waymar like this.
  8. fiatbrett

fiatbrett Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brett B
    Thank you for all the helpful replies! I am using the red Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease which dies seem thicker than the black grease that was in there, so I probably won’t fill grease in the hub; just the races, bearings, and spindles.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is exactly what I’ve been using, very good stuff, seems like it last forever.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do not be tempted to wash out the oil in the new bearing, just push the grease in on top of it. These degreasers tend to leave a deposit when it dries. They work fine with the oil left in situ

11. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  13. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    The price thing is difficult. I can explain and justify the cost to you, they just amout to large credit card bill. The fact of the matter is making high performance, High quality tyres in weird shapes and sizes, means you can only make small batches, which doesn't come cheap. And of course they are made by Michelin.

the only other tyre that you would consider for a 308 in that size would be the Pirelli https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/5855/category/6884

The price is not that silly. these are Ferrari tyres after all. They are not Ford Mondeo tyres made by some unheard of manufacturer. you could easily spend more money on a set of tyres for a modern Mercedes.

14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    What kind of puller should be used to removed the outer races of the front wheel bearings?

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I believe I just tapped them out with a brass punch.

waymar likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hammer and punch. Never seen a puller used.

waymar likes this.
  17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Thanks. I wondered. Mostly I needed encouragement to start banging away.

18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Done. (That was easy.)

... started coyly with my 12 oz ballpeen then quickly switched to my BFH.