308 QV has difficulty starting uphill | FerrariChat

308 QV has difficulty starting uphill

Discussion in '308/328' started by SaratogaCA, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Three times, my 83 308 QV failed to start after I parked it facing uphill. Each time, the car cranked fine, but would not start.

First time, the fuel pump fuse burned out. After replacing the fuse, it started fine.

Second time, on a nearly empty tank, I rolled the car back into level, and it started

Third time, on a full tank, I rolled the car facing downhill. It did not start. Came back 10 minutes later, and it started.

My theory is some sort of fuel starvation. I have zero mechanical skills, but I pored over the fuel system diagram from Ricambi. I think the critical portion of the fuel delivery system consists of two fuel tanks (38 and 39), with the Left Hand or driver side tank (39) having a filter (48) that feeds a hose (23) that connects to a fuel pump (1), which, through a check valve (17) feeds fuel to another hose (22) which goes into an accumulator (7), and from there, through another hose (28) into a filter (31) and from there, through another tube (21) to a metering device (not shown).

For some reason, pointing the car uphill apparently drains fuel out somewhere, and puts pressure on the fuel pump.

Your thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

- Sam in Saratoga Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Old fuel pump. When was the last time you had the fuel system serviced? What are the conditions of your fuel vent lines?

The next time it happens, someone should immediately do a system fuel pressure test.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Fuel system pressures check is in order. Could be the accumulator.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Pull the connector from the fuel pump safety switch and see if there is any change to the non-starting on hills.

5. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.

Actually, I don't know, but you had the car on a lift a while ago. Do you happen to recall?

Anyway, I've got a full tank of gas. When I exhaust the tank, I will try to coordinate a time to come to your place so you can take a look ... and we can have a beer and a burger as well. Been too long!

- Sam in Saratoga