308 Rear Suspension Rebuild with Pics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Rear Suspension Rebuild with Pics

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is awesome - Looks great!

Makes me want to move to MA, just to be near Verell! :)

Good job guys.

2. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    thanks a lot guys now you have me going on about when to start my suspension rebuild!! its so nice to see these things clean!

3. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    Hey Birdman,

nice pics. Excellent write up. In my opinion, I wouldnt think it would make a difference whether the suspension was loaded or not. the bolts are orthoganal to the direction of loading. they are purely in shear. torque em down and recheck them after a few rides.

I wonder if energy suspension has bushings for the TR.....

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bill,

It is not the bolts that are the concern, it is the bushes. Rubber bushes (as I am sure you know) have bonded steel inner and outer liners. The bush works by the rubber part flexing as the suspension moves up and down. Thus if you tighten the bush bolts with the suspension NOT in the normal sitting position the rubber bush is under unnecessary stress ... and thus will wear out very quickly, and also make the suspension movement not as compliant as it should be.

Thus you should always tighten rubber bush bolts when the car is on the ground after a couple of bounces to ease the suspension into the correct position. I remember my father teaching me this ;)

Pete

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Well done. I'm doing all four corners on my car this winter. There is no baby in the house so I'll be plating the fasteners and changing the wheel bearings while I am at it.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You guys ROCK! Nice job, great information!

7. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    What a great write-up!! Well done. I'm just finishing the same job myself and after reading the acticle I believe I'll go back and weld the inner bushings. I had used Lock-Tight.
    I am still undecided as to whether or not to do the hub carriers. Any insight??

Thanks in advance.

Steve Schroeder

8. Ron47

Ron47 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Ron D. Robinson
    Jonathan,

I'm curious about whether you needed to use anything to dissipate the heat from the welding process in order to keep the polyurethane bushings from melting? I would suspect that heat might be a problem with stock rubber bushings but not the polyurethane. Also, I'm unsure about torquing process once the bushing have been installed. Are you trying to obtain the full weight/load of the car on the bushings before torquing or is it sufficient to have something less than than?

I agree with the others, this was an outstanding post. Also very inspirational for us do-it-youselfers. Congratulations on a job well done!

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes we did!
    Jonathan was standing by with a very wet cloth to lay on them as soon as I lifted the torch away. Definitely could see a trace of melting beginning.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND using:
    Eastwood's Anti Heat Compound or their Form-A-Shield Heat Absorbing Gel - (It was getting late & I forgot that I had Anti-Heat compound - DUH.)

Actually, rubber tends to withstand heat until it begins to char & burn while poly tends to melt first.

Yes you want the full weight. Ideally you'll also have with the gas tank about 1/2 full, and the driver's weight in the driver's seat. (Perf. shops keep sandbags to simulate the driver!) That way under 'average' load the inner bushings aren't being flexed. This provides maximum bushing flex in both up and down deviations from the 'average' position.

Many shops don't bother simulating the driver's weight, and the gas tank is at whatever level the car drove in with.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Steve,
    I recommend making that call after you've cleaned up the existing hub carrier components and can determine how much they're worn. If there is noticeable scoring or just plain loose fitting then replace them. Otherwise, lube them with a moly based bearing lube & re-assemble.

11. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Birdman, thanks for your time and effort in making this great thread.

Some questions -

Are you happy with the results? Has the knocking noise gone?

Do the energy suspension bushes squeak? Cos if they do, it would drive me crackers and I would prefer the rubber.

I know 20-30 year old rubber bushes look cracked and frayed around the edges, but is it these that cause the knocking, or just the dampers? Did yours have wear and play in them? (Speaking as a lazy bug*er who would rather just change the shocks..)

PS - I would also like to live near Verell :)

12. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Someone was asking about welding the bushes, this is a copy of a message to the Ferraritech list. You MUST weld the bushes. They do move longitudinally, as well as axially. Under braking, the torque allows the unlocated arms to slide in relation to the bush (Especially at the top). If you want to try it, just chalk the bush and do one quick lap of your favourite circuit and have a look. Additionally, the bush must NOT be allowed to rotate in the arm and if it does, it will gradually enlarge the hole and pull right out of the arm (Yes, right out the end) leading to catastrophic results. I know this from first hand experience when the original mechanic on my car didn't weld the bushes in.

When you weld the bushes in, you must also make sure that the "Flat" of the
    bush site up hard against the side of the suspension arm. I made a small
    jig to ensure this and would be happy to post pics if you wish. Finally,
    locate the new bushes in the forks with new fasteners (You are going to
    replace the fasteners aren't you?? and make sure it's 12.9 tensile metric
    fine thread) and perform this task with the suspension compressed.

Carl.

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    RE: SQUEAK
    Poly bushings that are rotating on a metal shaft are the ones that sometimes squeak (ie: Anti-Sway bar bushings). BTW, a shot of graphite or a bit of grease stops it.

The 308 A-Arm bushings are basicly two concentric metal sleeves with the poly cast in between them. The outer sleeve is welded into the A-Arm, and the inner sleeve is clamped immovably by the bolt thru the mounting bracket.
    The bushing operates by flexing the poly, not by rotating it on a shaft. Hence there shouldn't be any sound whatsoever. If there is, then something's loose that shoudn't be.

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Guys,
    I regret to inform you that because the weather has been crappy since we finished, I have yet to drive the car, but you can be assured that there will be a follow up post soon. (And yes, it IS killing me!) All I need is for the stars to come into alignment (like my suspension) and give me the follwing things:
    1. A day off
    2. Good weather
    3. Previous rain to get rid of road salt
    4. No child care responsibilities for a couple of hours!

Hmmm....might have that update for you by July! No, I'm hoping to attend a little car function this coming weekend, so I'll be able to drive it then.

As for the squeeking, it doesn't squeek when I hop up and down on the bumper. Stand by for an actual road test.

As for the clunking that originally caused this rebuild, I was pretty sure it was coming from a shock based on several expert opinions here, the location of the sound, and the fact that it went away (mostly) when the car warmed up. If it's not gone, I am going to be one very unhappy dude!!

One thing about the bushings. My old rubber bushings were REALLY awful looking...all cracked and nasty. But when we got the A arms out and really started trying to press them out, they were in a lot better shape than I thought, even after being baked in the powdercoating oven at 450 degrees! To be honest, they probably didn't even NEED to be replaced, but what the heck, it was only another $120 for new bushings. (Sigh!)

One point that was not that obvious in my posts above. Verell mentioned above that I put a wet towel on the bushing right after he pulled the torch away. Just to clarify, it was not an oxyacetalene torch...we arc welded (Mig welded) them, so the weld is just "ZAP!" and it's done, then quickly cool it down with the wet cloth. This keeps it from getting too hot for too long. The only way you could weld these is with an arc welder. For most people this is probably obvious, but I just thought I would clarify in case I wasn't clear.

Birdman

15. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    So, it looks like with either rubber or poly, we need to do the final tightening with the A arms in their "loaded" condition".
    Many of us do not have a hoist, so we will be doing this on the ground - sigh.
    Is it practical to take a measurement from a pivot point to a bolt, or what ever prior to disassembly while the car is on the ground to establish what the physical relationship is between the arm and the chasis, esentially establishing what the loaded height is, so that we may position the arm at that measurement after bushing replacement, thus we may tighten the "new" pivot bolt with 0 stress on the bushing.
    I am guessing it will be easier to do the final tightening without the tire or hub carrier in position.

If I may ask again, does anyone have recommendations for realignment specs differing from stock??
    This assumes:
    16 x 7 - 8 inch wheels with perhaps 50 series tires, (less compliant and camber insensitive than the original 70 series tires which it was designed to "work" with.
    A more aggressive driving style than ferrari originally intended e.g. 4-5 track sessions per year with "street" tires.
    Stock ride height & shocks, since the car must be both driven to these events and traverse bad roads and driveways.
    Stock sway bars. This will likely change after I have a chance to do the brakes, wheels, etc - but we must have some basic assumptions specified to consider a change.

Being totally new to the car, I am inclined to start with stock and give it a bit of negative camber up front, (isn't positive camber some type of crime against nature???), stock negative camber in the rear and reduce the toe in to a minimum, F&R; and maybe try reducing the front castor to 3 degrees in an effort to lighten up the steering at low speeds. I could be totally out to lunch on this.

I am really having a lot of fun getting into the car. I am also appreciative of the time youall are giving to evaluate and respond to my questions.

Thanks,
    chris

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    What you can do is measure the height of the outside of the rearbrake discs from the ground & stack up heavy 2x10, or heavier wood blocks to that height. Then, with the wheels off, lower the car until the weight is completely on the rotors on the blocks. (Leave the jack & jackstands in place for safety's sake of course).

With the rear wheels off, you'll have plenty of access to tighten the bolts for the a-arm inner bushings.

That's the way we old shade tree mechanics did it before we got old & lazy & acquired a lift(LOL).

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sheesh Verell, I would be afraid of warping a rotor doing it that way. Have you ever actually done that?

I know that I actually know squat about cars compared to most on this list, but I simply cannot see the point in tightening everything down when the car is loaded down on the suspension. I looked carefully at the bushings and how they are loaded both before and during installation, and the fact is that they are designed to allow the suspension to move. Torquing them down should not prevent it. When you jack the car up, the force of the springs and the weight of the wheels should cause the suspension to extend as far as it can go with no problems. If it does, then everything moves just fine. If it doesn't, something is amiss. They simply should not restrict the movement that much and if they do, something is wrong. Just my opinion. I'm not planning on going through some kind of complicated exercise to torque the bolts with the car standing on its suspension. I torqued 'em, lowered the car, bounced on the bumper, all is good, looks exactly the same way it did (ride height) before I started this project.

Birdman

18. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    One thing about the bushings. My old rubber bushings were REALLY awful looking...all cracked and nasty. But when we got the A arms out and really started trying to press them out, they were in a lot better shape than I thought, even after being baked in the powdercoating oven at 450 degrees! To be honest, they probably didn't even NEED to be replaced, but what the heck, it was only another $120 for new bushings. (Sigh!)

Birdman[/QUOTE]

Birdman,

Very nice job on the photos and write up.

I am waiting for the bushings to arrive, A arms, shocks, and sway bar bushings. My A arm bushings also look awfull, as do two of the drop link bushings. The shocks look like they might come out more easily, so i will try them first - road test. Then try the sway bar bushings - road test. If that doesn't get rid of the noise, then I will do the A arms.

thanks,
    chris

19. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I've got a question for all those who have replaced their bushings...

Why not remove the polyurethane from the sleeve before welding?

Question #2

Shouldn't they be removed anyways and lubed up with the tube of grease that comes with each bushing. If not, what has eveyone been doing with the grease?

Henry

20. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Hi Chris
    This is what worked for me -
    Max neg camber front and rear before you run out of thread for the nyloc nuts (this varies a little from car to car and can only be increased more than about 1 degree by modifying the U brackets mounting to the chassis by using longer bolts.)
    Zero toe
    Front Max Castor - the 328 spec (if I recall) is 6 deg neg, which was my reference point for 16" wheels - you can just about achieve that by switching spacers top and bottom.
    Realign to ensure all is balanced
    Take some pyrometer tests at the track and fine tune from there.
    I have been experimenting with a GTS rear roll bar (18mm) and whilst my initial impression was not really positive ( made the car a bit "twitchy") I have become more familiar with it now and am beginning to like it.
    Good Luck
    John

21. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Henry,
    Damn good questions. I used the lube to hit the ends of the bushing where they would contact the bracket on the frame. It actually never occurred to me to take the bushing apart, I guess because the rubber ones don't come apart. I assumed the poly ones weren't meant too either, but maybe they are. The poly is in there pretty tight, it wouldn't come apart easily, but a small bench press would probably do the trick.

Birdman

22. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hey Birdman,

Actually, they come apart pretty easily. I just used a socket to push out the inner metal sleeve and was then able to push the polyurethane out with my thumbs. Once this is done, does anyone know of any reason not to lube up both sides of the poly with the grease?

Henry

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Henry,
    Have checked out that grease? It's the stickiest goop I've ever felt that calls itself grease. More sticky than slippery.

Birdman

24. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    Actually, I beg to disagree. The Poly bushings are constructed differently than the OEM bushings. The rubber on the OEM bushings is basically bonded to the metal surfaces. When the A-arm travels through it's stroke, the inner metal piece puts torsional force on the rubber and that puts torsional force on the outer shell. This can cause the outer shell to move against the A-arm. Also, this is why the OEM bushings must be tightened with the suspension loaded. If you tighten OEM bushings with the suspension at full droop, when you set the car back down, you're loading torsion on the rubber with the car statically laiden (not good).

However, the Energy Suspension bushings are made in such a way that the metal inner core can rotate freely, without putting torsional loads on the poly or the outer shell. The end result is that there is almost no force that would cause the outer metal shell to move in the "socket" on the A-arm.

IMHO, it is not necessary to weld them to the A-arm OR to tighten them with the suspension loaded. On my 79 GTB, I did this mod and then proceeded to put 20K miles of street use and about 2K miles of track use with no problems whatsoever. i inspected for signs of degredation twice in that time period and saw none.

On the other hand, if you feel the need, it probably doesn't hurt anything if it's done right (i.e. removing the poly from the shell before welding).

YMMV

25. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Ric,
    Everything you say sounds very logical and I agree 100%! I still figured it didn't hurt to tack the new bushings in. I didn't realize that the rubber ones were MADE the way you say (with the rubber not able to slide within the bushing)...I thought they just ended up that way when they were old and "stuck"!

Birdman