308 Red Warning Light/Overheating | FerrariChat

308 Red Warning Light/Overheating

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by azheman, Nov 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    2 AM and I'm carefully driving the 308 down the road while the temperature gets up to normal. About 1 1/2 miles later, the little red battery light comes on and then temperature starts going up, quickly. It gets up to max and I pull it over. I let it cool off and slowly drive back home, stopping a couple times on the way to let her cool off. After I pull into the garage and get out, I notice she is leaking coolant (I think this is a safety feature of some kind after overheating).

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could cause this to happen?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are overheating and the batt light is on you almost certainly lost the belt that drives the waterpump and alternator. The 2 most common causes for this is a loose belt or a bad waterpump. When the pump beraings go bad from water intrusion they will often sieze or at least try to and they can do it intermittantly.

If the pump does not turn easily and very smoothly either rebuild it or replace it.

3. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    The same thing happened to me about two weeks ago. My water pump belt broke! Cost me about $400 dollars total to get it fixed (belt, labor, towing, replace coolant, etc.) You can check your belt by looking at the pulley right below your air filter.

4. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    k thanks guys. I will look at it when I get home. Guess I'll get it towed into Alex's shop tomorrow.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You popped the belt for sure. I have actually had that happen to me twice in 8 years.