308 regional differences | FerrariChat

308 regional differences

Discussion in '308/328' started by redferrarispyder, May 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    just tried a search and couldn't find straight away
    Does anyone have quick reference to the differences of cars and the country's where cars came to..
    thanks in advance

2. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    308-328.com contains photos of many of the temporal and geographic differences in the cars.

Regards
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    thankyou.. have got a RHD car and am trying to find out if its UK or Australian. it doesn't have a deep front spoiler (which i think Australian cars didnt?) but also doesn't have the gauges in the centre (they are right corner under the dashl) and doesn't have quattrovalve badge even though it is a 1984 car...? very weird thing.. am kinda stumped

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is weird, what is the production date and can you post pics of the engine and interior?

5. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Yes, tell us what is the serial number and I will look at what we have in the database.
    UK delivery cars are mainly like Euro car and AUS delivery car are a mix between Euro and US model (like Japanese delivery cars). It is very easy to figure it out.
    With the serial, I will probably have few more questions but first, we have to know which period is yours.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  6. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    ZFFNA02D000050545

7. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    You have one of the very late AUS delivery GTSi car ! (Congratulation)
    You should have engine F106B040-02342, can you confirm it?

When I say very late, I should probably say, the last one but there is 50547 which is an AUS QV but still with a 2v injected engine....

Where are you located? In Australia?

Can you confirm that your body colour is Rosso?
    Can you tell us the upholstery and carpet colour?

Thank you!

edit: don't ask me why Australia still received 2v injected car at that period, 1 and half years after QV introduction... Maybe it was because of laws...

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My car is 50045.
    1984 QV model with a build completion date of 30 Jan 84 (just as a reference here)

Why the hell would Ferrari put a 2Vi engine THAT FAR into the SECOND production year of the QV series??

miketuason likes this.
  9. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Only an Australian could explain the regulations of that period.
    That said, all the markets had their own rules so that does not surprise me more than that.
    But I have the last 16 GTSi (no GTBi) to Australia and they are well documented

redferrarispyder, I will give expensive to have the body number.... send me a PM if you want to know where it is located.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Still doesn't make sense.

Why would a regulation dictate one car must be imported with a "different" engine? Australia has many 83 QV's running around, I'm sure, all perfectly legal.

There is a bunch of overlap with the 2Vi and 4V motors back in the fall of 82 for the 83 model year but I just cannot see how a 2Vi motor got in one nearly a year and a half later into the QV series. If it is that way factory, it doesn't have anything to do with Australia's regs or they never would have let in the earlier 4v cars.

Weird.

11. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    It is not only an engine specs, the VIN also is a 2v injected number, the "N" at the 4th position.
    I have seen an AUS GTSi from that period for sale at Dutton garage a while back and it was a real 2v injected car, not a QV (https://duttongarage.com/Ferrari-GTSi~15230)

Here is an old add with the car we are talking right now. It is the same kind of interior (except the steering wheel): https://duttongarage.com/Ferrari-GTSi~19217

I don't know why and I am far to have the explanation, I just look at things and fact. These cars are not exceptional cases, I have too much to say that it is something that the Factory didn't make.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    But the chassis number is almost exactly in the middle of the QV series. Very strange.

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Could it be that the factory just had surplus 2v engines and they saw the Australia market as being the best place to sell them?

14. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    I do not think that Australia has been a sub-market for Ferrari, there are many 308, from vetroresina to QV and they have developed each time a specific model (mix UK-USA).
    There must be a reason but for the moment, I don't know it.;)

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1 I don’t think Maranello would do that, really doesn’t make sense.

16. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    To the best of my knowledge no 1983 308QV's ever arrived in Australia. The first Australian spec 308QV's arrived in late 1984 down under.

There were a number of crossover 2V/308QV cars that arrived in Australia,i.e 308QV bodywork with vented front hood and flash to pass CIBIE driving lights but 2V engines. I believe a number of UK RHD cars were the same?

An official Australian delivery car has the "D"in the Chassis #. The Dutton garage 308 that is for sale being discussed above is one of the 3082v/QV crossover cars.

Grim

17. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    thank you Grim,
    I have 16 cars like you described, all with the N at the 4th position known as the digit for GTB/Si AUS 2v engine.
    They of course also have the D at the 8th position for the market.

Do you have an idea why such crossover cars had been made?

18. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Hi Tripleblack,

I didn't know there were 14 such cars, very interesting.

Australia was in some ways a unique market with its own regulations (known as Australian Design Rules or ADR's for short).

One of the requirements for example was that all instrumentation had to be at dashboard level in drivers line of sight. So Australian 2V and QV 308's kept the clock and oil temperature gauges on the dash rather than on the centre console like all other world markets.

Strangely enough the Australian 2v injected 308's were all delivered with a USA Market spec rear bumper and exhaust diaper and retained the original 308 carby cars silver Momo steering wheel rather than the NARDI wheel the rest of the world got. Oddly the front bumper bar was Euro/ROW spec rather than USA Market spec like that on the rear!

The 2v injected engines were USA market spec for emissions equipment but had no Catalytic converters as Unleaded Fuel wasn't introduced in Australia until 1986.

For the Australian 308 QV's the same engine specs applied but the steering wheel was the same Momo as the rest of the world markets, the QV's lost the exhaust diaper and the rear bumper was Euro/ROW spec unlike the 2v injected cars. The 308 QV's delivered to Australia ran USA Market DigiPlex boxes though as did the 2v injected cars. Both models received Metric rims and TRX tyres as standard equipment with 16' wheels being a hugely expensive option on QV models.

Only Ferrari know the answers! Strangely all Australian market 2v and QV's missed out on the heated rear window that USA market cars got even though a heated rear window was an Australian ADR requirement!

The average "wait time " for delivery of either model by the dealer from order was 12 months + im told and Australia was a "dumping ground" for 308s in colours that were unsaleable in other RHD markets. Many cars were repainted "resale red" when they were new even!

Hope this information is helpful for you,

Grim

19. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    This is amazing thank you, really, and I do understand now why those 2v kept the carbureted dashboard.
    I don't really understand why the Momo steering was preferred to the Nardi, but UK market already did not have the same silver Momo than the rest of the world.
    For the heated rear window, it is also a mystery because even the main car comes from the UK model which were not equipped, it is not a complicate part to change, as for the bumper, and the wires are already installed. It is just an other console to change...
    If you look at the bottom of the 308 GTSi register here, you can see the detail I have for these 16 cars. I wish I could have a feedback for the body number from redferrarispyder to help us to understand the Australian sequence of the 2v injected cars. I can't read it on the Dutton pictures.

20. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  21. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Tripleblack,

Further for your information.

Whilst most of the Australian 2v cars were GTS models I have only ever seen one down under that was a GTB.

1982 chassis # ZFFNA0ID000041297 engine # F106B04001946

Silver with a light blue interior.

Is it on your register?

All Australian QVs were GTS models.

Thanks

Grim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Tripleblack

I forgot to add, the Australian 2v injected 308s also had the USA market Rear Engine cover and only one outside mirror on drivers side.

Electric and same type used on USA later model 2v injected and USA market QV's

The Australian 308QVs had the Euro rear engine cover and USA market dual electric square rear view mirrors.

Grim

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I never knew ANY of this!

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Found a mistake in there just now.
    Who runs that site?

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Indeed, this is very interesting. There is also a - small- riddle regarding Australian-market 328s: the change of suspension type (read here convex vs concave wheels) occured at chassis number 76626 in late february 1988 for 328s all over the world, except for Australia, which received cars with chassis numbers after 76626, but still with the concave wheels and "older" suspension for some months, up to chassis 78000 or so.

(Australia received 152 328s specifically built for that market, all GTS: there is no Australian-market 328 GTB; no australian GTS ever was fitted with ABS, even as an option.
    The Australian 328 is close to a RHD US market car, with the F105040 catalysed engine, "flag" mirrors but metric gauges; not the same as the UK 328s, which are "euro", non-catalysed RHD cars with imperial gauges...)
    Rgds