308--replacement "power distribution block"? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308--replacement "power distribution block"?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by greg328, Jun 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    AHAH, I think you've got a lead on a big part of the problem, battery voltage shouldn't be dropping 1.5V with the A/C load. Also, if the fuse block voltage was measuring ~10V at the same time, then you're loosing another 2V between the battery & the fuse block.

What does engine RPMs lug down to when you do this?

What battery voltage do you measure if you increase engine speed to ~1000RPM?

Do you measure any voltage between battery -terminal and chassis w/AC on?

Yes,
    normal for RH radiator fan to run w/AC on.

Other than measuring the A/C clutch current as suggested earlier. I don't think voltage readings for A/C relay, etc. are significant at this point in time.

Didn't mean to lecture, but realized that I several posters hadn't picked up on info in the other thread & were repeating suggestions.

2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks, Verell...

I'm off to work, I'll resume this issue tomorrow afternoon.....

I'll try to take those measurements...

What does your gut tell you is going on?????

Greg

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Suspect a couple of problems:

I think that at least part of the problem is that the A/C is slowing the engine down enough so that the alternator can't keep the voltage up. The test with the engine @1000-1200 RPM should show a significant improvement in battery voltage w/the A/C on. If so, then you'll need to increase the engine idle speed during A/C season.

However, I think you may still have too much resistance between the battery & the fuse panel, or possibly in the alternator or battery ground path.

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    QUOTE:
    However, I think you may still have too much resistance between the battery & the fuse panel, or possibly in the alternator or battery ground path.

Okay, other than cleaning the ground cable contact points, how can I reduce resistance between battery-fuse panel, or alternator or battery ground path? Do I need to run new wire/cable?

Greg

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    For alternator -ground solution, see my earlier post.

The fix will depend on the problem. Once you've established that the loss is occurring between two points, then start measuring between points along that path to see where the loss is occurring.

For example : If you measure 2V between the battery & fuse panel input connection, next measure between the battery & input to distribution block, also measure between distribution block input & fuse panel input to see which section of the wiring the 2V drop in. When you find a section with a loss, find a connection in the middle of it & measure between the ends. Repeat until you find a single connection or wire that's dropping the voltage.

Be suspicious of crimp-on connectors, they can oxidize internally. You may even find that you've got 3 or 4 crimp-on connectors each dropping 0.25 or 0.5 volts each. Check each end of the battery cable as well, those connections often degrade like any other crimped connection.

Often you can fix a lossy crimp-on connector by re-crimping it. Next try soldering the connection with electrical solder, or replacing the connector.

BTW, if you're dropping something like 2 volts between the battery & fuse block input, something's likely to be getting noticably warm or even hot, so you may be able to find the problem by touch.

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Verell.

I'll take some more measurements today, and update the thread.

Greg

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    "77 308-- dropping voltage w/ A/C on....."

Thanks...

Greg