308 running lights | FerrariChat

308 running lights

Discussion in '308/328' started by Berlinetta Jim, Feb 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Berlinetta Jim

Nov 12, 2006
    Has anyone configured your electrics to have daytime running lights without having your head lights on? I have a 77 308 GTB steel body.

2. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Don't know about the 308's but on the 328's you can turn on the lower ("fog") lights without turning on the headlights. Essentially they work as daylight running lights if you turn them on.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Why do you want running lights on in the day time anyway?...it looks juvenile IMHO. FYI, fog lights are for use in fog only...

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

It is required by law in many countries.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not in the good old USA though...and, fog lights during the day or night with no fog is not required anywhere to my knowledge...

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

7. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    It used to be illegal in California..may still be...Don't we have enough issues with our electrics without confusing the issue..just a thought.. Gee..I'd sure hate ot buy one of these cars where I had not been informed of the "modification" that had been made..what a potential sevrvice disaster at $100+ buckaroos per hr.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    As a PI attorney of 22+ years I have seen no evidence whatsoever that DRL prevent accidents at all...and, when I see people with fog lights on in the middle of a clear day or night I flash the morons...

9. Berlinetta Jim

Nov 12, 2006
    ALberto, thanks for the mention on the 328. My 308 doesn't have fog lights, hence no switch.

Parkerfe - I live in Wisconsin and we have many overcast days, even when in summer when it is warm. Many cars here have running lights that are about the intensity of head lights, not bright fog lights. I drive with my running lights on my sedan all the time and haven't been hit yet - maybe they do work after all...??

I guess I will find the answer elsewhere and be that Wisconsin moron that wants to look juvenile.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker

11. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    DRL's prevent accidents on two lane roads at sun rise and sun set. There are roads in Virginia that prove this with statistics over the last decade, I think that it was the Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center that did the study. All other times they are worthless.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Motorcycles were the first to have them.....and in my personal observation, about the same number of people miss seeing my 308GTB as did my cycle, back in the day. And the lower visibilty colors make it worse....not so much on my Fly Yellow one...

The standard hedlights of our 1977 cars are about the same intensity as modern DRLs.....LOL!

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  14. Berlinetta Jim

Nov 12, 2006
    Thank You Jdubbya, please send me your home address to my private message box. I would like to send you a bottle of wine for your brilliance.

I was losing faith in the quality of the respondents in this site before receiving your reply. I sometimes feel pretty good knowing that I am fortunate enough to own and drive a Ferrari which could lead to a sense of false self importance and a maybe a bit of arrogance, but I didn't think I would see sarcasm show its ugly head on this site.

You restored my faith in Ferraridom.

Best wishes,

Jim

15. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you for the kind offer, but it's not necessary at all Jim. I didn't come up with idea or the website, I just knew it was there. Happy to pass it along and make you happy! Sometimes at Fchat you have to filter through a few extra replies before you get what you are looking for.

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey, by the way welcome to Fchat. I just noticed that you are new. How about sharing a few pics of your car? I see the pic in your profile shows the car being worked on. What have you done to it? Here's a little project I did on mine...http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83679

If you look at that thread though, please ignore the unbridled enthusiasm and misguided optimism. I did finally get it almost done though still sorting some mechanical issues.

Welcome and enjoy Fchat. There really is a wealth of info here but like I said, sometimes you have to sort through "other" stuff to get to it!!