308 Skid Plate | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Skid Plate

Discussion in '308/328' started by Danielcookson, Oct 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fredwf

fredwf Rookie

Oct 13, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Fred W Fiala
    I'm also interested in the 3 items, shield, louvered panel and scoop. I have a 1983 308GTSI US version. Count me in.
    Thanks,
    Fred

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    what's going on with the group buy? do we have a count of who want's what?

3. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Ok, guys this where we are at. Will each of you email me at [email protected] and confirm what I have listed for you? Also include your car model, year, and version. I will confirm with Gerry that we can get the parts for your particular car. Also I will confirm the prices since we have a good group order going. He should be back to me this week.

Dan

ATSAaron
    skid plate and the louvered panel

miketuason
    louvered panel

chrismorse
    skid panel and louvered panel

hanknum
    skid panel and louvered panel (rear engine scoop?)

greg328
    rear engine scoop
    1977 GTB USA car

F&M racing

philipbarresi
    '84 USA spec QV

fredwf
    skid panel and louvered panel, rear engine scoop
    1983 308GTSI US version

danielcookson
    1978 308 GTS US version

7 skid panels
    8 louvered panels
    4 rear engine scoop

4. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Just heard back from Gerry. He managed to win his class at the Australian national concours with a 1964 330GT. He carried his family of 4 in for the duration of the rally.

He will get back to me with the prices on the various parts. He also indicated he has a f-1 lightened stainless steel flywheel available for $600US. I will post pictures and prices after he sends them.

Dan

5. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Gentlemen,

I am submitting these numbers to Gerry and he will provide solid figures for cost. It's not too late for anyone else to join in.

Dan
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATSAaron
    skid plate and the louvered panel

miketuason
    louvered panel

chrismorse

hanknum
    skid panel and louvered panel (rear engine scoop?)

greg328
    rear engine scoop
    1977 GTB USA car

F&M racing (Jim)
    skid panel and louvered panel, scoop
    1977 308 GTB USA version

philipbarresi
    '84 USA spec QV

fredwf
    1983 308GTSI US version

danielcookson
    1978 308 GTS US version

Tatcat
    louvered panel
    85 308qv gtb

Fred Fiala
    Skid Panel, Louvered Panel, Rear Engine Scoop
    1983 308QV,GTSI,US version

308proff
    stephen wohlleb
    1982 GTSi
    --------------------------------------------------

11 louvered panels
    6 rear engine scoop
    9 skid panels

6. edworak

edworak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2007
    Genoa, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Ed Dworak
    I'd like to order a skid plate and louvered panel. I have a 1982 308 GTSi US model.

7. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Ok, guys, I have word regarding the group order for the skid plate, louvered panels, and scoop. The final price including all costs to ship to US are below. They will be shipped to San Diego where I will re-package and ship to each of you. I will add domestic shipping to your address which will not add much to each order.

There is time this weekend for outhers to join in on this order, but the cut off date will have to be Monday, November 12. The price is good for this group order only and will go up after this order. Please email me at [email protected] with your info (model, year, and contact info) and I will include you in the order.

Dan Cookson

Current Order

12 louvered panels
    10 skid panels
    6 rear engine scoop

308 louvred panels US $ 70 each
    308 skid plates US $140 each
    308 rear engine scoop US $ 40 each

8. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    #33 Danielcookson, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Below are the installation instructions provided to install the Skid Plate provided by Murray.

These are a few steps you will need to follow for an install of the skid plate.

Get the car up off the ground to allow a comfortable work height.

Step 1. You will need to place the plate in position and hold with some vice grips ( see photo SP Step1).

Make sure that the plate is central and even on the wheel alignment slots, side to side and front to back. You do not have to remove anything from the car. The car in the photo was being refurbished.

Step 2, take a 5mm drill bit, put it in the 5mm holes in the plate and start the hole just enough to give you dead centre for your holes to be tapped.
    (See Photo SP Step 2).This way it won't pull either way when the fixing screws are tightened up- NOTE don't go to deep, it's should be just enough to find centre.

Step 3, drill the relevant holes to take a 5mmx.8 pitch thread ( 4mm,4.2 drill from memory). Tap all the holes, clean out the residue. You will require 7 - 5mmx .8mm stainless steel counter sunk allen key head screws. See step 4 Photo.

Step 4, Four (4) of the 7 5mmx .8mm stainless steel counter sunk allen key head screws will need to be 12mm (1/2in) long for the outter fixings and three (3) of the 5mmx .8mm stainless steel counter sunk allen key head screws will be 19mm (3/4in) long for the inner. The inner ones have to be longer to allow to go through the fibreglass and into the small chassis tubing underneath.

Tighten all the screws up evenly with some 463 loctite (that's the one that still allows you to get it undone of needed).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Thanks Daniel, for all of the time seting this up.

Do the plates come with fasteners, or do we need to source them. I so, I am considering McMaster - Carr.

best,
    chris

10. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Per the above instructions:

You will require 7 - 5mmx .8mm stainless steel counter sunk allen key head screws. See step 4 Photo.

Step 4,
    Four (4) of the 7 5mmx .8mm stainless steel counter sunk allen key head screws will need to be 12mm (1/2in) long for the outter fixings and

Three (3) of the 5mmx .8mm stainless steel counter sunk allen key head screws will be 19mm (3/4in) long for the inner. The inner ones have to be longer to allow to go through the fibreglass and into the small chassis tubing underneath.

Hope this helps.

Dan

11. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Dan,
    When will you think you'll be shipping parts out?
    Jim

12. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    I just received a message from Murray who reported on the completion of the manufacturing process of the skid plate, Vented panel and Scoop. He is pleased with the result and believes we will also be pleased. I have wired the funds and the parts have been shipped with expected arrival some time this coming week in San Diego. I will get them re-shipped off the participants. Thanks again all of you for making this possible. I will post my progress of mailing the parts out and the installing of these parts.

Dan Cookson
    San Diego

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Daniel, if it's ok when you have time, could you post photo of the scoops? Thanks:)

Mike

14. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Greetings to all, Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in, when you guys go to do your installations, if your are not sure what to do, or have any doubts, ask and I'll do my best to help. As an old friend of use to tell me "It's always better to ask what seems a foolish question before you proceed, than it is to plough ahead and to be proven a fool".
    Great job Dan, you should be an events manager!
    Cheers Murray.

15. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Murray,

If you have any photos could you post them here? Otherewise I will take some when they arrive and post.

BTW, a lot of what I do revolve around planning events, training conferences, etc. I do this for recreation and fun. Cheap thrills, yeah?

Thanks again.

Dan

16. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    We are talking about #114745, SHIELD for the rear piece correct? Is there a pic of the that rear panel fitted to a car? Which spec (US vs World) does the panel cover? (I assume it is World) The US 2v injected and QVs use the same rear underbody panel but it differs from the non US cars. The picture shown looks like the Euro spec panel. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Joe

17. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    #42 Danielcookson, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    That's the one, exactly where it goes.
    MG

19. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Rats. Euro version. Thanks guys.

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    So, the shield does not fit a USA spec 308 GTB? I was on the list to receive one...

Somebody figure this out for certain please! :)

Greg

21. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I have one ordered for a USA spec 308 GTB also.

22. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    The online parts catalog no longer has part numbers for the US GTS/GTB shield HOWEVER, the picture is totally different than the Euro version pictured above. It looks like the World cars got the same shield for the whole run. We had a carb version and then an injected version of the shields that don't match. Now, as to it fitting...

23. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    I emailed Murray and asked him to post a response to the questions mentioned above. It is my understanding they will fit the US Version.

Dan

24. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    My GTB is Aussie delivery, wet sump+ (the compulsory sump baffle). Which should be the same as the US cars this rear scoop fits all gtb's and gt4's. If you look under the rear of the car you will see the 4 mounting points( as in the photo of car on hoist ). You can clearly see the 4 s/s bolt heads. It is my understanding that these either get left off on a regular basis at service time or they get torn or worn off.
    Check you own cars for those 4 mount points first, and it should fit.
    Cheers MG

25. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    hey...that's my car!

i wish it was still that clean.