308 speaker sizes? | FerrariChat

308 speaker sizes?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308jim, Jan 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308jim

308jim Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Anyone know the factory spec speaker sizes for the 308 GTSi ?

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    No, but IIRC, I got 6" in the doors of my '80 GTSi

Good luck.

3. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The door speakers are 6.5 inches. I just replaced the entire audio system in my '85 308 which included a set of 4 inch on the rear deck. I recommend Focal Polyglass. They are a little pricey, but they have the best overall range IMO. Joe

4. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Did I miss the pictures of HOW you got them in the rear deck?

5. PAT ORRELL

PAT ORRELL Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Murrieta,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Pat Orrell
    I would like to see the pictures also.

6. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    In your rear deck speaker search did you find any small speakers/enclosures that could mount on the rear deck rather than under it? I ahve some enclosures on my 328 deck (in the corners) but they are somewhat large and kinda ugly. No, I didn't install them. :) Thanks.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I would have sworn it was a 5 1/4 size in the doors

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    My recollection was the 5 1/4" size too (for a 1978) -- what I'm more sure about recalling is that the depth is restricted so the magnet structure can't be super-huge.

9. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Mine are 6.5"

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    But what year, and how are they mounted -- behind the sheetmetal with a flat cover or in front of the sheetmetal inside a box?

11. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    There's just a round hole in the metal door underneath the door panel. It fits the 6.5" speaker exact. My car came with 6.5" speakers.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #12 Steve Magnusson, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, but do you know that it's not been changed/modified? On my ex-'78 there is a recessed rectangular area about 5 3/4" square and maybe 1/4" deep in the door sheetmetal with a ~4 3/4" hole, and the speaker is covered by a flat grill (not a box that protrudes above the door). Sorry for the poor quality of the pic. Maybe just a year difference.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    No my car has not been modified at all. It is 100% original. I wish I had pics of it for you. The hole that holds the speaker is round not rectangular... They must have changed about this time...

14. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I've put a set in a carbed 308 and one set in a QV both took 5 1/4 2-ways but the magnet could not protrude back too far. I believe the originals are just slightly larger that and 5 1/4 (maybe some type of european speaker) but that with a little bit of hardware and drilling 5 1/4 was the best fit.

15. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I JUST BOUGHT speakers for my doors...Alpine 6"....more like 5-3/4 or some change. I'll need to use the spacer/retaining ring to actually be able to mount the things in the stock holes, as NOTHING lines up. The speakers are 'slightly' larger than the OEM speaker, I suspect there really is no 'standard' size for these things and actual diameter can vary between manufacturers - otherwise, why would my 'stock' Pioneer speaker fit perfectly, but the Alpine I'm replacing it with be slightly too large in diameter for the hole?

Thanks to modern magnet/coil designs, looks like there is plenty of depth to play with if you install more modern speakers.

16. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    This is crazy. I have never really payed attention to 308s when they have their door panels off. My doors originally accepted 6.5" speakers.... It is counterintuitive to hear that a QV car which is newer than mine accepts smaller speakers.... Hmmnnnn...

17. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #17 Joe_CT, Jan 30, 2008
    I got a few requests to see the pictures of the new audio system in my '85 308 so I braved the cold New England winter and went out to the garage and snapped a few pic's. The pics are of the new Alpine head unit and the new Focal 6.5" speakers in the door and the 4" speakers on the rear deck. I completley rewired the car... the old system in the car was from the early 90's and was a butcher job. I only turn this on occasionally, but the new system sounds fantastic. Joe

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That explains the 6's. The stock openings behind the door panel are 5 1/4. The 6 will fit fine but you have to cut something. In this case, part of the factory door panel had to be removed. At least we know how big we can ultimately go. though.

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Focals are great... that's what I put behind the stock door panels in my QV.

20. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #20 Mike C, Jan 31, 2008
    Yep... if you want it all to fit BEHIND the door panel for a stock look (though you'll DEFINITELY want to replace the perforated leather with dyed-to-match accoustic cloth) then you'll likely have to be smaller. I *do* have low-profile FOCALS with adjustable tweeters behind here... and also a subwoofer in the passenger footwell behind the kickpanel.

21. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Are those speakers sitting on the rear deck or have you cut out a circular piece in the deck? And if they are sitting on the deck, what brand speakers are they? Thanks.

22. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I know the speakers in my car were blown because I remember when it happened...a long time ago.. They were replaced at the dealer at the time. Maybe 6.5" were installed in place of smaller originals.... Hmmnnnn..... not sure now...

23. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    My speakers will be mounted 'behind' the door panel, in the original door depression. Hence the tight fit I'm experiencing, although the low profile of the Alpine cones leaves me with some 'wiggle room' to mount the speaker AND cover it with the OEM door panel without having to cut anything at all.

24. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The speakers on the rear deck are 4" Focals Polyglass. They sit on the rear deck, that is why I had to make the pods to get them up a little. If anyone want's to go with the Focal's behind the door panels, Focal makes a low profile speaker that will clear all the mechanicals in the door.

I am a purest, and I hated to put the speakers other than in the stock location. As I mentioned though, the audio system the previous owner put in the car in the early 90's, butchered the door panel and rear deck (not to mention the dash... which I redid completely). I was not ready to redo the whole interior this winter, so I went on the outside of the door panel for now. At some point in the future, I will move everything behind the door panel and will have an audio shop build me something custom for the rear deck that will blend in better. That will wait until I have the funds to redo the entire interior. For now, I will just enjoy the great sound of the new system when I need a break from the beautiful sound coming from the four tailpipes behind my head.

25. Billy-Boom-Batz

Apr 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    William Neil Hirsch
    Hey guys - I've got an '84 308GTS QV Euro, and I wanted to swap out some old Alpine speakers that are in the doors (not the original dealer-insalled ones, but ones that a previous owner installed) with some nice new Focals, and was wondering what the stock speaker size is in these cars.

I'm a little confused by this thread...I had previously purchased some 6.5" speakers and they were slightly too large, so I returned them... my car is also missing the perforated leather speaker covers, so the Focal speaker grills will have to suffice until I can find some replacements (any recommendations on where I could find a pair of those?

Also, I wanted to install some small speakers on the rear deck/firewall near the 3/4 windows and rear window. Joe_CT what are the models that you have? Are they technically tweeters? I know it's been a long time since this post was updated, so I hope you guys are still around.

Thanks everyone! I'm brand new here, so nice to eMeet you all!

Brian A likes this.