308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by alhbln, Aug 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Quick update, did a tour last weekend and put about 1000 km on the converted Speedo, no dropouts or failures so far :)
    The ODO distance displayed on the Speedo was about 1.2% higher than the Garmin GPS i've used as distance reference, looks good!

2. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Excellent work.
    The visible linearity (at the needle) is affected by a mechanical/magnetic adjustment at the back of the meter assembly. There is a way to rotate something there. I no longer have one to take photos of, sorry.

Gerrit

3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I am in for at least 2 or 3, mixture of Miles and Kms, WHEN you bring them to market.

4. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    I would like one as well.

5. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Have asked Rob and it is ok if i offer them here on a self cost price. Will get some pricings for the manufacturing as soon as the testing is finished.

I believe the production cost will be at or below $90 excluding tax for an assembled and tested PCB (assumption: $10 parts, $15 circuit board production, ~$65 for tooling setup, assembly and testing) when doing a batch of 20 circuit boards.

Andreas Engesvik likes this.
  6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If they indeed make the speedo more accurate, count me in!

7. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Just let us know.

Is PayPal ok?

8. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Adrian,

Good solution to a known problem...

Please consider posting a "how-to" for PCB swap and calibration (I assume any programming, and possibly calibration, would be done by you at your shop...if not tell us that too) and show some pics. This would become a sticky here and you could sell a bunch (lots more than 20).

Just a thought.

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just to review, what years are your modified boards applicable to?

10. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #35 alhbln, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No problem!

Yes, will do a documentation including photos. The boards will come ready to install, you only need to swap the board against the new one and then do the calibration of your Speedo by turning a trimmer with a small screwdriver until the Speedo needle points to 130 kmh/81 mp/h. The only ugly part is removing the chrome bezel of the Speedo, i'll have to think about how to do that without having access to special tools.

'74 GT4's up to mid '81 GTBi/GTSi cars are fully supported.

Late GTBi/GTSi starting from summer/autumn '81 and QVs (using the newer 116987 speed sensor) are not yet supported as i do not have access to a Speedo from one of these cars yet, but should be no problem to support in the next board update.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Excellent!

12. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Adrian,

I have a few speedos laying around.

Show me a pic and part number of what you need and if I have one I'll send it to you for your work on those models.

I am just a few hundred K's south of you in Bayern.

13. anastasio

anastasio Karting

Dec 9, 2011
    mexico city
    Full Name:
    anastasio
    great info, I need one now !!!, im dissasembling my instrument panel next week, if you can sell it to me, Ill be a happy camper, its for a 1977 US 308 GT4 .

thanks , and great work

Anastasio

14. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Thanks for the kind offer! I have to check the spare parts manuals what type was used in which model, and what the correct part number is. Should be a speedometer with a build date late '81 or newer. There should be something in the Ferrari Technical Letters and Service Bulletins but i did not find anything speedometer related yet.

I'm still testing, this will take some more weeks. Please be patient, i need to be sure the new board is bullet proof before launching it to the public :)

15. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    Adrian, this is great work and your timing is perfect. I have been trouble shooting my speedometer and just recently ruled out the sending unit. Please put me on the list for when your first batch is ready and I will gladly buy one. Thanks :)

16. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #41 alhbln, Sep 7, 2013
    One of the Speedos i had in for repairs/calibration seems to be of the newer type, just discovered this yesterday when i started testing it.
    It displays just half of the speed when sending a signal for the older type (for which i did the replacement board), it seems to require 16 pulses instead of 8 for a wheel turn.

The Speedo was bought by a friend as a spare, it's not clear in which car it was installed previously. It has the green needle as in the GTB/GTS (had carb and injection GTB/GTS the exact same faceplate/needle?) The electronics board the ODO meter motor are both different compared to the previous model.

Interesting, now i need to find out when the change took place and from which date onwards this type of Speedo was installed. All the Veglia Speedos have a white type label on the Speedo body but on this one the text is not readable anymore unfortunately.

More updates when i spend some quality time with this newer type.

17. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Reminder: For those desiring calibration where a full speedometer change isn't practical, the RDR by 12oclockLabs is a viable and proven calibrator. Recall that it also requires the Ferrari inverter module for use with 308 Veglia.
    Speedo Calibrator

FChat posts describing the installation in a 308 available using search words = speedometer calibrator

Adrian - super job!

18. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #43 alhbln, Sep 11, 2013
    After browsing the factory manuals and talking to Steve Magnusson and Dave Helms i have a better idea now about where the two sensor types were used, see table below. Looks like the US cars had the first sensor/speedo type until '82, whereas the EU cars already started in '80 to deploy the bottom mounted sensor.

The replacement board discussed here is marked as "Type 1" in the list. Designing a further replacement board (Type 2) for the new sensor/Speedo (shown in the photo in post #41) looks straightforward, i'll start on that one as soon as the first board has finished testing and is ready for production.

19. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    How is this progressing? I am looking forward to not going 5mph when stopped.

20. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    We are in the middle of testing right now, found an issue with driving ODO motors in mile speedos and fixed it last week. Will do a mile to km/h conversion this weekend.

Going forward 5mph when stopped, do you refer to the pointer being located at the 10 mph position when the speedo is off?

21. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    Yeah. That is as slow as my car goes :)

SF20 likes this.
  22. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Excellent work Adrian!

Count on me when the QV US version is available please!

Keep up the good work

23. speedergb

speedergb Rookie

Sep 9, 2013
    Would love to purchase a 1981 308 US version as soon as they are available

24. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

That's mine guys, think you!!! Adrian.

25. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    Anyone have a euro speedo face lying around for an '85 308 GTS? When my car was originally converted to US specs (I think loosely converted, even though I do have all the conversion paperwork) they only changed the face and the odometer is still in KM. They also turned it up 7,500 miles (actually KM) to bring it directly to CA in '85. Paperwork shows this too. It was imported from France.

Please PM if you can help.

Thanks,
    Jim