308 spring shock settings | FerrariChat

308 spring shock settings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Jun 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    A few quick questions for the others out there that have completed aftermarket (QA-1 or the like) kits.

1) anyone know the ORIGINAL 308 spring rates?

2) what springs did you choose to go with? and did you use different rates for front and back?

3) If using adjustable shocks where do you have them set.

I went with 325# (eib-1000-250-0325) springs in front and 275# eib-1200-250-0275)in rear---on the rears I litterally had to tighten the springs till I ran out of threads to get the proper height...thinking longer units are in order. On the front, I am adjusted to about mid-point.

I have my shocks set on position #2 and even at the next to lowest setting--it rattles my teeth the ride is soo stiff......

The car has a great set-up for track now but on a long roadtrip--I fear that it would be rather painful....

Comments and feedback appreciated....

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Hi Chuck -- I think you've probably already seen the thread on my upgrade that covers most of that info.

www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39712

As it shows, my springs are slightly softer than yours (mine are 10.300# fronts and 12.250# rears), and I keep the shocks set fairly soft like you (#2 or #3) on the street. But I didn't have any problems with the spring length with the Varishocks... I wouldn't have run out of spring unless I brought the ride height down further than was tolerable for normal roads or even small speed bumps.

I think I was told that the relatively soft stock 308 springs are 180# front, 200# rear; opposite of what most of us change to when we put stiffer springs on the front.

As I also mentioned in that thread, the initial ride was as you describe and I was wondering if I hadn't made a mistake going with the new springs, but when I had a 4-wheel alignment done a few days later, it made all the difference in the world. The car is now as "comfortable" driving as it was with the 20-year-old stock springs and shocks, but handles curves SO much better and it also greatly reduced nose-dive during hard braking at the track.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I use ohlins shocks so the setting there won't help. But for springs I have 450 front and 400 rear and it seems to ride fine, so I don't think the springs are your problem. My old worn stock springs mearsure something like 135 front and 150 rear

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I went with 325 front and 275 rear for street.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Charles,
    Detailed spring specs for the 308 GT4, GTS, & GTB are in this Old Fchat thread:

http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/discus/messages/256120/199158.html

I dug them up in some Ferrari Specs .PDF I have & rexrcr converted it into something postable. Now I can't remember which document had the info (DUH).

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I remember see that, a lot of info in that thread.

I'll say again though that time and rust take there toll on the springs because I did measure the rate on mine when they came out or the car and I only got 135/150 instead of 175/186 - that's a lot or drop.

8. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    77 GTB

350 ft and 300 rear.

QA-1s (with Unobtaium bushings, photos as soon as i can figure out how to shrink them to acceptable size). 2-3 clicks. ride "firm"

miketuason likes this.
  9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you're a Windows XP user, Microsoft has a free Image Resizer utility to do that in their PowerToys stuff.

You can download the install from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Once installed, just right-click on any graphics file and a "resize" option will appear in the pop-up menu.

10. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Thanks Michael,,

off to work,
    chris

11. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #11 chrismorse, Jun 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Michael,

The QA-1 comes with a pair of bushings, 5/8ths and 1/2 inch.The Ferrari shock mounting bolt is 12mm or about 7/16ths. This leaves the shock very loose on the mounting bolt. Carroll Smith has rightly termed this "a crime against nature" - all of this looseness will surely cause bolt breakage.

Further, the otherwise fine QA-1 shock is norrower than the mounting ears. Installing washers is a very imprecise manner to take up the lateral slack and is a major PITA - hard to do. This is not particularly critical unitll you get to the lower rear shock mount, which is the cast aluminum rear upright. If you put the narrow shock between these two ears without the proper spacers, you will very likely break one of the cast ears -- exceedingly bad.

Our much esteemed Il Duca of Unobtanium Supply, came through in a very timely manner, (with help from Atlantaman) to provide a set of appropriately engineered bushings for a critical family trip, see "Brotherhood and Mortality".

So, here are a few photos of the shocks, bushings washers and snaprings.

Good fit on the bolt. good fit between the ears and shock fits well on the sleeve.

Again, my sincere thanks to Verell and Atlantaman.
    chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Hi Chris -- yep, that's a problem. The Varishocks came with a different ferrule to take care of that problem of having too big a hole for the mounting bolts. And I had simple spacers made (rather than using off-the-shelf washers or shims) to "fill the gap" between the ears, but using only one spacer it was very easy to install. See the link in my first post of this thread for pictures.

I *do* like the mounting heads on the Varishocks better than the QA-1 shocks. The head is much more robust, and more like the original Koni mounting head.

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Chris,
    Was surprised to see 2 washers on each side!

We designed the C-clip spacing for a single washer on each side using QA1's recommended dimensions for the expected expansion of the poly bushing when the sleeve was inserted.

How tightly did the sleeve bushing fit going into the shock's poly bushing?
    Were 2 washers on each side necessary to keep the poly bushing from sliding around?

14. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Verell,

I have only done one shock so far. One bushing was a hard thumb press fit and the other needed to be tapped in, (no press). I will report back when i get a chance to put the clutch back together and raise the front.

I found there was a bit of small play between the snap ring and washer when one washer was used per side. Two washers fit well without pressure to assemble.

The fit is snug in the casting, but i was a bit perplexed when I found the upper mount was a bit too tight untill i remembered that i had tightened the upp er mount with a fairly tight packing of washers and had probably slightly bent the ears in while doing so.

Your bushings will do the job right,
    Thanks, Verell

Best,
    chris