308 tacho / speedo | FerrariChat

308 tacho / speedo

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kerrari, Nov 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Am I correct in thinking the tacho is a more accurate instrument than the speedo in this car? In which case, is there a boffin out there who can figure out what tacho reading equates PRECISELY to 140 and 150km/hr (for a 1980 carby model running 16" wheels)? Thanks!

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    sorry! they're both as inaccurate as each other!!

Both speedo and tacho can only be relied upon to be within 10% of true...and whether it reads high or low is all down to luck of the draw.

3. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Thanks for that! I know my mine's on the conservative side as I've slipped past a couple of cameras where I was over according to speedo but I'm a bit paranoid since we have a new rule up here whereby 40k+ posted speed= automatic 6mths license loss!

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Kerrari , don't know about where you live but there are a few things that need to be verified. 1st you need to make sure that the tire dia. is the same a stock size. Then I would take the speedo out and get it calibrated. Then I would find a stretch of road that has a calibrated mile (or KM) and reset the odometer and drive the distance and verify the reading. This is the best you can do. I know some shops in the US have the ability to calibrate the speedo in the car with the wheels in motion. Also you might want to find someone with a new car that you can follow and verify speeds. And last if you know a cop you can ask them to give you a radar check at different speeds.

5. ric1241

ric1241 Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    The easiest way to verify your speedometer and odometer accuracy is with a GPS device. Drive on a straight road at any speed you like and compare the GPS reading to the car instruments.