308 tie rods and shocks | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 tie rods and shocks

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by djgecko, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    DJ,
    If the 308 steering rack pricing is anything like on a 328 (they are very similar) then that is not too far off the mark. I was quoted between $1450 and $1600 from several sources for a new oem factory Ferrari steering rack (spec made by TRW actually). I bought it instead from Ferrari UK for $800 delivered.

The only problem you may have with a "rebuilt" rack (whether exchange or refurbishing of your own steering rack) is that the job may not be done satisfactorily. Two mechanics (one Ferrari, one a suspension/frame shop) told me that rebuilt steering racks can be kind of a "crap shoot" and that often times it is the "luck of the draw" to get a good one. Unless it is a specialized car where a new replacement does not exist, they both recommended getting new; and I followed their advice.

Are you certain you need a new rack? Has your problem been confirmed to be the tie rod ends only? If so, just get those. If you have play in your steering, or the car tracks poorly (my sympton) then the rack may be bad too. My tie rods were tight, but the rack was bad; some internal bushings or something that fail. BTW, when you get the new factory rack, it comes with new tie rod ends, and rubber boots.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No Dave rebuilt racks are no big deal. The deal is your mechanic is too lazy to warantee the work. So if you pay big bucks there is little chance of a redo on a big job. Sometimes you get a bad rebuild but extremely rarely. You will never see one and your mechanic will see one sometimes. He just doesn't want to take any chances of doing work over for free so you pay big bucks. You see he sure is looking out for YOUR best interest. FWIW,, I do not know if RexRcr does konis but he does revalve bilsteins to other than stock specs. If you are looking for some different shock performance you may want to email Rexrcr on this list to get some opinions

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually Fatbillybob, they admitted to exactly what you said, and told me that the potential hassles were mostly on their end, BUT, the added delays and aggrevation for the owner of bringing it back for me as well. They also mentioned that most of the time, the wear is in these bushings, but that sometimes it can be in the rack itself (gears?), so I exchange my 30k mile example for rebuild, and who is to say I get a 90k mile or worse, rebuilt unit back? The bushings may be replaced, but there could be more wear in other areas, that were not tended to. Their point was for the few extra dollars, why not?

But, to each their own....heck, we do exchanges on starters, alternators and such all the time right? Just thought I would share with your guys.