308 Trunk Cover Installation Trick? | FerrariChat

308 Trunk Cover Installation Trick?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gt500blue, Nov 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt500blue

gt500blue Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    GT
    Hi all,

I struggled today with trying to install a new leather trunk zipper cover on my 308. I pulled the rubber trunk seal off, layed the leather in position, clipped it with spring clips and then slowly pressed the seal over the top. I simply could not get it to go down all of the way enough for the deck lid to close. I even used a rubber mallet to gently pursuade the seal to seat all of the way down. No luck! Rather frustrating!

Maybe I had the leather too tight and the edge did not move enough preventing the rubber seal from seating all of the way? Is there a trick to this? It really drove me crazy for a while before I had to pull it off in order to get the deck lid to close.

Any tips?

Thanks so much!

2. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    i replaced my cover and it wasn't difficult, but there were no spring clips. the cover was glued in place and then held by the metal lip of the weatherstrip. maybe the clips are the problem. jon s

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
  4. gt500blue

gt500blue Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    GT
    Thanks Guys! I'll give all of these details a shot. THe clips I'm talking about were my clips I used to keep the cover in place. I'll read the thread attached above and give it a second shot.

I think the Silicone spray will help "seat"the rubber seal over the top of the leather cover as well.

JW

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Remember the cover is vinyl, be careful with silicone as it may stain it. I would use Amorall or some such product, which is unlikely to stain the vinyl.