308 TRX tires | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 TRX tires

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fastaone, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Verell and enjoythemusic are correct.

If you need to be concourse, just keep the d@mn metric rims. I have done this, not that I'm worried about such, but perhaps, someone that I might sell to could be.

Come on now. The choice in 16' tires is *huge* compared to metrics - the choice in metrics is roughly - zero.

I see from time to time, posts on metric tires that fit being available and buyable, but I've had GREAT difficulty in finding same.

FYI, I don't have any economic interest in promoting 16" rims and/or tires for the TR. I'm just relating my experiences.

I didn't get mine from Ferrari UK, but they were inexpensive and flawless orginal Ferrari items. :)

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i assume most of you know why we have these 390 metric tires. the short of it, the manufacture wanted a tire that wouldn't loose it's seat at high speed, and to avoid the use of a non-special tire the 390 size was implemented. the tchnology of current tires far surpass the 390's available today. hold the 390's if you need to and buy 16's for greater choice and safety.

3. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I got super lucky...About 6-8 months ago, I went out to the garage only to find my drivers rear tire down about 75%. I removed the wheel and took it to a local discount tire place. The way the nail entered the tire, they said they might be able to fix, but wouldn't trust it at higher speeds. They recommended I buy a new tire...OF COURSE...THEY WANT TO MAKE $$$.

I asked if they had any 390TRX tires and the one guy mentioned about someone else ordering one, but never picking it up, and maybe they still have it. Sure enough, they did. He checked the computer...no price stated. The tire guys said "make me an offer"...I responded with "$75"...the tire guy said "Sold". On the way home, I called the tire shop and asked if they would extend that offer on 3 more tires and they said sure. A week later, all 4 corners had new TRX tires for a total of $300.

4. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    AHHHHHHHHH....................So you got them !!!

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Well, I'm not going to worry about needing replacements for my Avon CR28 TRX tires for a long time. Just took a good look at them. I can barely measure the wear after 2 seasons driving. By the time they get either too old, or too much wear to be safe I'll be able to afford 16" rims.

BTW, Avon's web site still displays the CR28s:
    http://www.avontyres.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=Internationalpassenger&id=137

Also discovered that Cooper Tire is launching a 'new' line of high performance Avon tires this spring. Lots of ads planned.

6. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    I have a full set of new BRIDGESTONE POTENZAS RE730`s 225/50/zr16 front pair and 245/50/zr16 rear pair.
    I bought them last year for my 308. I just went one size smaller RE750`s on the car now,
    they are last years design, never used, still have the sticker on the tread.
    they retail for around $170.00 a tire, and will sell the full set $400.00, not sure if its worth shipping any long distance do to the weight?

I am near Sacramento CALIFORNIA.

7. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    In January I purchased a set of Michelin WXW 14's from Longstone Tyres in the UK. Very happy with the newer version of these OEM Owners Manual specified tire. They have the original (now very dated) tread design and V speed rating.

Be sure you know what you are doing, I didnt. I shot them an email asking what the price for 4 tires was. They said 400 bucks I said send them my way I think shipping was only 100 bucks. Then I got to thinking I wonder if they quoted me a per tire price. Sure enough 16 hundred bucks later I am the proud owner of Brand New OEM 1978 style tires for the Concours. I am now looking for a set of 16 inch rims that came stock on the later 308'sQV. So I can have the right stock look but open up a whole new universe of tire selection. I do not really like the 328 rims as well.

8. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    14" XWX's are about $250 from Coker, FWIW.

9. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
    I thank you all for your input, I think Im gonna go with Michelin from Tire Rack $207.00 X tire they should last several years unless i find some used 16" wheels

Peter

10. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The last time I called Coker & the TireRack no one had the 14 XWX's I hope I talked to the right person!

11. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Hmm... Coker's website showed them about 2 weeks ago.

12. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Yowza!! I just looked at Coker's website and the 14" XWXs have shot up in price by nearly $150 ea.

I should have bought a bunch. Better appreciation than the dot.coms in the 90's.

13. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I see that they are 399 a copy, still better than paying shipping from the UK. I could have sworn that I talked to them several times last December. Maybe they just started carrying them!

14. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Didn't "just start", as I've bought them from Coker before. I'm wearing a set now.

16" are looking a lot more attractive.

15. mjfeeney

mjfeeney Rookie

Apr 19, 2004
    I am a future Ferrari owner, and I am just observing what is going on here for educational purposes.

I am familiar with Mustangs, however. In the early 80's, they offered an optional metric diameter wheel. I guess they were great back in the day, but now the best thing you can do with them is stack them up and put a round piece of glass on them to make a really cool set of end tables for your living room.

I agree with the advice where you just buy a new set of wheels and tires. I don't know anything about sizes at all, but I did see a set of 360 wheels and tires on ebay for $2500 buy it now. If they fit a 308 (and I think I have seen pictures of this) it sure beats $1600 for a set of crappy tires.

Save the $1600 tires for the concourse winners. Put the 16"-18" On your driving car...

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #41 Dom, Apr 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hans, just get the 328 wheels from Ferrari UK. You won't regret it.

Dom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I agree, what are you thinking about going with?

18. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I will go with 16 for sure but am looking for QV rims or GTO maybe?

19. BlackRX7Turbo

BlackRX7Turbo Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Ok -- so if you have an '83 308 GTS... what wheel size would you convert to?

20. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr

STILL FOR SALE!!!