308 Unidirectional fuel valve #111790; is it needed? | FerrariChat

308 Unidirectional fuel valve #111790; is it needed?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Beta Scorpion, Oct 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #1 Beta Scorpion, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had to coast home yesterday when the "Valvola unidirezionale" PN 111790 plugged up. I notice that the eruopean version does not have this valve.
    Parts search on Dennis Mccann's site and Ricambi USA shows a blank for 111790.

Is this thing really needed? Can I just hook it up without this part and be on my way again?

(The valve in question is Number 60 in the parts diagram below)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    no, i think you have to have the valve in place or the exhaust pulses at high rpm will backflow through the pump and damage it. sucks you have to have airpumps. i have my pair with all the brakects ect in a box somewhere. if you cant find one i will give you my valve for the shipping money if i can find the damn box.

michael

try GT car parts tomorrow.

3. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #3 Beta Scorpion, Oct 8, 2006
    You may be confusing this with a previous post about a cracked valve I have in the air pump circut. The valve that got me into trouble yesterday is in the fuel line by the fuel pump, not in the air pump circut. It caused the car to quit from no fuel. I coasted 0.7 mi downhill and had just enough momentum to get up the driveway.

The image below shows the european fuel hookup and the valve is not there.

4. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    When I first bought my 308 carb it would starve for fuel when going up a long steep grade. Since I just purchased the car I took it back and the Ferrari mechanic checked the fuel pressure output and it was only 1 lb. He removed that oneway valve and found it to be broken/clogged. He said that it was a US safety requirement in case the car rolled and ended on it's roof. Euro cars don't have it he said so he removed it and rerouted the hoses. The fuel pressure was now 4lbs and the car has run OK since.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #5 thecarreaper, Oct 9, 2006
    oops, i was wrong... you ARE talking about fuel and not the air pump..... its been a long week for me.... sorry.

worse thing is i just did my fuel lines to the carbs and my fuel filler neck hose 2 weeks ago... i have the valve too.

6. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Thanks for the info. For now I will hook up like the european system and if I ever track down a new valve I may splice it back in.

7. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    About a week after I bought gt4, said valve started leaking, every source (dealerships, TRutlands, etc..) indicated the valve was NLA. So I rerouted the lines myself. The first attempt failed as the pump was basically pressurizing the system but flowing in a loop. The engine would crank and start very briefly then stall. Second attempt was a success with no problems since.

8. 308GTS78

308GTS78 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Adelaide
    Hi
    Can you remember where you rerouted these fuel lines to? My car is leaking from the same valve. I recall 3 hoses going to and from this valve. I cannot find a replacement part.
    1978 308GTS US model.

Thanks
    David

Adelaide Australia

9. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Bumping an old thread, as the 1977 GTB that just sold on BAT renewed my hunt. My question was - do I need this part? In another thread, someone claimed that this was in the circuit in case you had an accident. That's all crap.

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/Diagram/ferrari/308-gt4-dino-1979/048-antievaporative-emission-control-system-(variants-for-usa-aus-and-j-version)?part=111790

It's there for emissions, so all the fuel in the filter can't evaporate if you don't drive your car. That's why the Euro cars don't include/need it - because they didn't care.

If I ever found one, I'd probably buy it to have a "complete" car, but I'd never install it.

10. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Not needed, remove it. It’s purpose is to shut the flow of fuel to the carbs if the hose from the fuel pump to carbs is ripped or has a major leak. They can fail shut and then no fuel.

11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have removed several after they fail. No problems after that.

Kidasters and lm2504me like this.
  12. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If anyone has one, please PM me. Like I said, I'd like to have it just to "complete" my car.