308 vs. 328 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

308 vs. 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Steven, Jun 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    OK found it:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=222065&postcount=9

"From Ferrari308.com:

The 1980s TV series Magnum P.I., starring Tom Selleck, took the already popular Ferrari 308 and turned it into an icon. The Magnum Ferraris are undoubtably responsible for much of the mystique and desire for Ferraris starting in the 80s. This is demonstrated by the fact that the Ferrari 308 (and its decendant, the 328) are still commonly referred to by casual admirers as "the Magnum P.I. car."

Throughout its history, the show featured three distinct types of Ferrari 308:

1979 308 GTS
    1981 308 GTSi
    1984 308 GTS QV
    Between 3-5 examples of each car were used during filming, employing different cars for various types of shots. Cars in pristine condition were used for close-ups, and less cared for cars were used for action scenes and stunts. Some sources claim that the car used for stunts was not a real Ferrari, but a kit car. Universal Studios has a 308 GTS on their backlot that they claim was used on the series, but various sources claim that this example is actually one of the kit cars used for stunts. A picture of this car can be seen here and here (I have no idea who the lady in the picture is).
    Because of Tom Selleck's large stature, certain modifications were made to the cars for the show. Padding was removed from the seat so that he would sit lower in the car, the seat was bolted in the furthest position possible from the steering wheel to provide maximum room, and rarely (if ever) was Tom seen driving the car with the roof on.

Known serial numbers for cars used in the show are as follows:

#29109, 1979 308 GTS
    #34567, 1981 308 GTSi
    #57685, 1984 308 GTS QV
    On an interview on the Late Show with David Letterman in 1997, Tom Selleck talked about the cars used in the series. He claimed that 5 different cars were used, and that they were all auctioned off at the end of the series for outrageous prices. Selleck stated that the first car used on the series had a modified racing clutch, which described as very stiff. He said that when he released the clutch, the camera crew almost got run over a few times!
    From time to time, the cars that were used in the series are offered for sale. Larry Manetti, who played Rick "Orville" Wright on the show, bought one of the early cars from Universal at the end of one of the seasons and later sold it. In August of 1996, S/N 57685 was offered for sale by Algar Ferrari of Philadephia for $53,000."

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The last car used in the series was a pair of QV's. A woman in Reno NV had written FNA and requested to buy the Magnum car when the show was done with it. Ferrari retrieved the better of the two (one was usually modified somewhat and beat up by the stunt driver) took it to their Cypress location and performed a major service, replaced the clutch, repainted it and sold it with a full warranty. It used to come to our store for warranty work.

Our service region included Hawaii and Reno so our service rep oversaw the shows cars and that one when it went to Reno.

3. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    57685 would have to be 1985.

Dave

4. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    No wonder that show tanked. They didn't even use a current model in the last few seasons. FAIL!

Plus the fact that Don Johnson took over from Thomas by then.

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Indeed, Magnum never drove a 328. I watched the series from beginning to end, and wondered why he didn't switch to a 328 in 1986...
    Guess it would be too much of a visual switch from the 308 standard Magnum held throughout the series..

Greg

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    IMO, the fact that 328's were not used is a plus for 328's.

Dave

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    DJ hasn't helped TR values. ;)

+ (a large number)

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I guess I'm the opposite of most folks here. It doesn't bother me at all if somebody hollers "hey Magnum" or whatever at me. When someone looks at my 328 and says to his/her friends, "That's the car that Magnum drove," I just say, "Yeah." I don't see any reason to "correct" them since doing so just creates hard feelings. Who cares? A 328 DOES pretty much look like Magnum's car! Now if I only looked like Magnum...

9. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Gr8 info thread!

10. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    The visual switch did not bother the makers of "Beverly Hills Cop ll" too much.
    As you all know they switch them in the opening scenes.