308 VS 355, PROs and CONS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 VS 355, PROs and CONS

Discussion in '308/328' started by crazyswede1027, Jul 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    - - - - - - - 308 - - - - - - - vs. - - - - - - - 355

PROs - - Cheap to buy - - - - - - - - - - - - - Faster
    - - - - - Cheaper to maintain - - - - - - - - -- Faster

CONs - - Slower - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Expensive to buy
    - - - - - Slower - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - More expensive to maintain

2. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I consider the absence of power steering a huge factor in favor of the 308. True, it is a "bear" (or something else that starts with "b") when trying to parallel park or maneuver in a tight spot, but it's all worth it when you get in the canyons and you can feel the road right up into your shoulders as you carve up the curves.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #28 thecarreaper, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    i was going to make a smarty childish remark about the 355 looking like a MR2, but i will refrain from doing so.

i have had a mix of 308s carb cars, Euros, a QV, and i say they are worth it, and that they can be maintained, even in these uncertain times, much easier than a 355.

sorry 355 guys, but all the crap that goes wrong with those cars, many of the issues built in by Ferrari and ignored are unacceptable, and very expensive now that the cars are "old".

ref: all the threads in the 355 sections with the big $$ issues you have to " watch for ".

some early carb 308 issues are the sodium filled exhaust valves, and the occasional trans axle work for the drop gears or 2nd gear syncro.

the cars aint perfect, but all of us have CHOSEN to buy some old slow Italian car, rather than some new wonder crap thats worth 1/3 of what you paid for it due to depreciation.

to me this pales in comparison to all the stuff that was built wrong by Ferrari to start with on the newer cars.

they should have known better, and they should have FIXED IT. not kept making the same cars, with the same issues.

the 360s series already has its growing list of " Got Ya's ", and they made over 17,000 of those things.

nope, old, slow 308s are good enough, better to have several of them, and a couple of other cars, than one Lambo or Ferrari that is a rolling financial catastrophe when something fails.

plus you can always chop one up for parts and feed it to the others..... no wonder BIGTEX has 3 !!!! :)

they are, after all, meant to be used as cars.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Here is a different view from someone who can't find themself owning either.

Every time I see a 355 from a distance, I think to myself: here is something special. The moment I get up close and personal, all of that is lost. I can't quite put my finger on it, but so many details (such as how/where the panel breaks are designed) simply kill the design for me. Maybe I just can't see the forest for the trees, but it comes off as a cheap execution of something that had the promise of being incredible.

A 308 or 328? From afar, they are magic. Up close under scrutiny? Nothing is lost for me. There is a sense of rightness, craftsmanship, and style that just pours from the design.

Will I own either? Likely not - I'd be too swayed by other cars at that price point. If I were to fall for one, I'd give up the performance of the 355 for the way a 3X8 touches my soul.

5. crazyswede1027

crazyswede1027 Karting

Mar 21, 2010
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Chris S.
    Thank you for everyones input. I figured posting under the 3x8 side would have a more slanted response towards 3x8's but everyone seemed to be very open. I have driven a 308 and enjoyed it quite a bit. The 355 I have only had a chance to ride in. There is no doubt the 355 is more of a car relating to performance but there is something to be said for the timeless style of the 3x8's. Plus, as some noted it is sometimes more fun to drive a car with lower limits being you can actually get closer to the full potential of the car.

I got many more responses than I thought I would see. Thanks for the input. You all have given me many things to keep me busy with my thoughts. Wish I had more money, I would just buy both.

6. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    The 355 seems a 'tweener with too many issues.

If you want an "older" Ferrari feel, the 308 is great.

If you want a "late" model version, I'd skip the 355 and save a few more pennies for a 360.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bottom line is 355s are cheap for a reason and the reason is most definitely NOT how they drive. They are universally loved in that regard. If it weren't for all the design/build issues, I think they would sell for more than 360s. As someone else mentioned, it is a real shame.

Dave

qvee likes this.
  8. zimm

zimm Rookie

May 6, 2009
    Hereford, UK.
    +1

I used to work at a sportscar hire firm, we also stored and maintained private cars for clients.

When I started there I didnt have a driving licence, so actually driving the cars wasnt an option .. I still remember spending my entire lunchbreak ogling "our" 308 gtsi, every detail seemed exquisite.. used to just go and sit in it while i drank my tea, just .. soaking it up.

we had a 348tb, 355, 550 and a 360 (launched that year) there too.. somehow, they were just cars.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #34 TheMayor, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    For a first Ferrari, I always suggest a 308 or 328.

They are fun to drive, easy to maintain, reliable, have simple electronics, the FI models have a pretty standard Bosch system, and certainly has all the Ferrari looks, sounds, and visual appeal.

It's a great way to start because few other models -- although more modern and faster -- will have those specific combinations that a first time owner will appreciate.

The cons: poor A/C, not stellar performance, rust issues, and a lot of them have multiple owners (many of which didn't care too much about them). Garage queens can still have rust, clogged radiators, worn out hydraulic parts, and FI or carburator problems. Remember you're buying a 30 year old car. Moto: It's better to get a good one than a cheap one unless you want to restore one.

If you want more performance and but with few "risks" of ownership, the choice should move to the 360 6 speed manual. Fast, reasonably reliable, good creature comfort, available in a true spider form, newer with fewer previous owners, and the body won't rust.

Any model in between these two can only be justified by sheer lust, which, for some, is plenty enough to own it.

So, my choice for someone wondering if they can afford, drive, and use a Ferrari is any of the 308/328 series or a 360 6 speed. I'm not knocking the other models -- just stating what are some pretty obvious facts.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  10. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Excellent post - as usual BDelp!!!!

I really couldn't agree more than what he said right there. For me the 308 was THE car I wanted and nothing with higher performance or any other look would do. I know I can get out drag raced to the next stoplight by a lot of other cars, but the 308 is simply a rolling piece of art. Its stunning on the road and its stunning in my garage. The 355 is a great car - no doubt about it. However, it still doesnt have the charisma or instant recognition that the 308 does in my heart or in my mind.

Its like the car reeks of class and sophistication that the 355 does not seem to have.

PDG

11. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    +1 for B Delp.

+1 for PDG/Gray TA

Rare that I don't have anything to add to that. You guys said it all! :)

12. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    I agree. The 308 is still the best looking Ferrari road car ever and quite possibly the best looking two-seat sports car ever. The Lotus Esprit is a close second. :) 355's are low and wide and have all the makings of what should be a timeless design but I dont know if in 25 years they'll reach that status.

And... the issues that plague them are completely ridiculous for such a modern car. I mean... what the hell are they doing? This kind of stuff just shouldnt happen. And you cant play the "well its a performance car so reliability isnt built-in". I say BS to that - there are plenty of cars that run like the wind and look great doing it(some Ferraris) and dont scare owners with potentially catastrophic repair bills.

13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i agree on all of it

If i was forced (should be considderable force applied :):))to buy one out of the 3x8 range I would considder going "sideway" and buy a TR.

About the same age, about the same technical level and indeed another icon which, in that respect, could probably compete with the 3x8's.

14. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ask Daniel Pass (Ricambi America) his reaction when a 355 owner calls him...

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I can already guess. CHA CHINNGGGGG $$$$$$$$$$

16. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    WOW 348's 355's ect JUST cars!! To each his own I guess but what do YOU drive man to say that! I've had MANY sports cars over the last 30 years and my 348 is all the car I need and nothing like any of the other "just cars" I've had in the past. I decided to sell my Alfa, Fiat, Triumph, Mercedes and Maserati after buying the 348...as they were all "just cars" as you say. I loved them all until the 348 arrived....then lost interest in everything except the 348!!!

I was going to buy a 308 but after driving a few...they are just way too slow. I feel the 308's 328's, 348's 355's TR's ect all have fantastic lines but the 348 is what I decided on. Almost as fast as the 355 but less problematic IMO. You 308 guys can flame me if you want for the slow comment but it's true...the car sounds great but no power IMO. For someone to say they are "just cars" sounds like a comment from someone that has never driven an Fcar. Just cars...come on buddy, that's a load of hooey!

17. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    While the 308 remains my very favorite car of all time, I also have trouble with the idea that any Ferrari is "just a car." I'm also baffled by the comments I see and hear putting down 348s. I think it is certainly in the top five most beautiful cars of all time, and personally I find it better proportioned than its "Big Brother," the Testarossa.

I know nothing firsthand about the ownership experience or the driving experience of either the 348 or the 355, but much of what I've read suggests that the 355 is the more reliable and less troublesome of the two.

I'm not trying to argue with you (as I said, I have no direct experience with owning or maintaining either car), but I am curious: Have you found the 348 actually to be the better of the two in terms of reliability?

18. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    just cars.

i stand by it, as i said it also.

read MY profile.

plenty of F cars, L cars, ect.

i am not condoning abuse, but i refuse to pamper and "save" a car for for the next guy !

nothing made after 1989 really appeals to me anymore, and i am 38.

the 360 will make low Ferrari prices dip to new levels: they made too many, they are too hard to work on at home, and you can buy many other nice toys cash for what they are currently selling for. the lack of demand will force down the prices for them.

i dont "like" any of the 206/246 dinos, but look at the costs of that whole series now.

the 348/355 is exactly a "tweener" as someone else aptly described them. perhaps a future generation will covet them, but i know very few gear heads with cash that pine for any of these newer cars.

the epitome of the 308 series to me was the 288 GTO, which is all but unobtainable.

the biz jet world will jade you to "cars" that dont even cover the costs to replace / overhaul brakes and landing gear on a fun jet.

19. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why would the 348 be just a car? .....

It kinda looks like a 355...

It doesnt have power steering...should fell like a 308

Should sound like a ferrari v8....

Header/valve guides dont blow apart...

Has the 300 hp target must 308 owners want...

Is it just the "jane" sister scenario from the brady bunch? What gives?????

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Almost as fast as the 355 "

Huh? - It is just a bit faster than the 328 and not even close to the 355. In fact, the published 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the 328/348 were only slightly different per road tests. 0-60 on both per what I've seen were in the 5.6 range, 1/4 was 14.2 for the 328 and 14.0 for the 348. That's not even a noticeable difference. The 355 was DRAMATICALLY faster - 0-60 in the 4.5 range and 1/4 in 12.8. That's an order of magnitude better performance.

21. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    IMHO, owning any of the 3 series, 308, 328, 348, 355, it is a good idea to keep a $15k reserve fund, as any of these cars can hand you a major pain-in-the-ass when you least expect it.
    And can easily nickel and dime you out of thousands. Something to think about when considering your budget.

My advice... Get the car YOU really want, not what someone else on a forum wants.

All the Best!

22. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Same age, same opinion.

I get way bigger smiles driving my '85 308 or '86 Honda CRX Si than I do driving my friend's C6 Vette. For street driving (not that the 308 isn't great fun on the track, mine certainly was last year at Elkhart Lake) I'd rather drive a less powerful, less grippy car at 9/10 than a faster, more capable car at 7 or 8/10. Push any more than that and baaaaaad things will happen, of your doing or not.

The only 'modern' sporty cars I would chose over either of my 'slow' '80's machines would be a Smart Roadster Coupe or Opel Speedster, neither of which is an option in the US (Elise's engines are too high-strung and strangely the looks don't really do it for me).

23. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I wish I said that! I certainly feel that. Sometimes I catch myself staring at it and wondering what talent the designer had, what sense of balance, artistic sense of flowing lines. Just simply beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. The 355 is very cool. All ferrari's are very cool. I just think 308's are masterpieces! As for the motor options in 308's, carb's have a cool sound. Also, carb cars have shorter gear shift levers, and feel a little more heavy, but the smoother lighter shifting on an injected car (2 or 4 valve) is also nice. If you want power, test drive a TR. A strong 5 liter versus a strong 2.9 liter is something you'll notice. Not the 10 - 20 horse spread that's lost on state of tune across 308's. I love the performance of an F-40 and shifter karts and race prepped motorcycles, but the 308 is going faster when parked :)

24. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Guys I wonder what the answer would be with a totally sorted 355 like Jeff Siegal’s Modificata and a fully rebuilt 308 like Newman did?

Take maintenance etc out of the picture. What would you say then in a true apples to apples comparison?

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    the 308 is (at least) ten times better looking than a 355.

There is no game, I'm sorry.

ciao

eyeman1234 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.