308 vs. Elise | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 vs. Elise

Discussion in '308/328' started by gtbman, Oct 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Your points are well taken, as more of a road car enthusiast I prefer the Ferrari. Not being a track day enthusiast I can understand the merits of the Lotus. Ultimately though, and for the long haul the 3X8 wil always trump the Elise/ Exige as far as being a desirable thoroughbred where as the Elise while being a surgically precise instrument will fall short in many ways. I think a comparo between the Lotus and a 911 or similar Porsche is more accurate but then again, the original poster is entitled to his own preferences. I am no snob and do not look down on the Elise on account of its powerplant, I just don't think much of it, it doesn't stir my soul.

2. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    +1

Amen to that!

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's the universal mistake on FChat. Figure out what an average beat up (insert model designation here) costs, use that as the official price, and compare it to a car 30 years newer.

How did you get to be a doctor if you're only 13? :eek:

4. flyguyskt

flyguyskt Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2009
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    sean
    i must say i owned 2 elises. one with sport pack one without. both awesome cars to drive...but they suck to get in and out of. the a/c sucks bad(does it matter?) gr8 gas mileage...i averaged 32 mpg. insurance was cheap, 60 bucks a month full coverage, it has a toyota built engine(really can you beat toyota engines fro smooth and reliable?) no tranny issues at all.

my number one complaint...needed more power...now they have the supercharged elise :)

bang for the buck get an elise, period...but still i AM looking for a 3x8!

5. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    really? I'm not taking any offense, but a 308 doesn't pretend to be anything it's not.

Something like a F360/430, Z06, Murcialago, Viper, Exige, GT3 etcetcetc that have HUGE power and/or grip limits and never get pushed on a track? Now THOSE are real poser cars.

I see the 308 as 25 year old beauty with no superfluous styling elements, 250 rampaging italian horses in the proper place, and low enough limits that you can sanely squeal the tires on almost every on/off ramp (at what around .8g?), and sythe through lesser traffic like a shark.
    It also beautifies the road and reminds people that at one time there were rolling works of art instead of just over-legislated, over-styled, overly pretentious luxo barges, ridiculous SUVs, or utlitarian people movers.

6. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    308 or Elise?!?

A much better debate would be a 308 vs a pre-V8 Esprit. Have never driven one of those cars but have always wondered????

7. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Your points are well taken, as more of a road car enthusiast I prefer the Ferrari. Not being a track day enthusiast I can understand the merits of the Lotus. Ultimately though, and for the long haul the 3X8 wil always trump the Elise/ Exige as far as being a desirable thoroughbred where as the Elise while being a surgically precise instrument will fall short in many ways. I think a comparo between the Lotus and a 911 or similar Porsche is more accurate but then again, the original poster is entitled to his own preferences. I am no snob and do not look down on the Elise on account of its powerplant, I just don't think much of it, it doesn't stir my soul.

8. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    +1 ,,, Me too.

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Theres a few guys around the lake here who own an Elise, never driven one but I just can't take them seriously. Love the look of the Esprits but I find the Elise lacking in design, has the same appeal as a Mazda Miata on the desire scale. Who cares if its fast if you look like a tard going fast. (just kiddin)

10. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    First off, this is just crap. You can buy all four discs, pads, fluid, and SS lines for $985 as a package from Sector111.

The transmission in the Elise and Exige are both straight out of a Corolla. Dime a dozen used, $1800 new in the box.

I had a 2007 Exige S. Best car I have ever owned. I drove it to work, I took it on trips, I drove it to the track. Seats in the Exige are better than the Elise. The car is pretty roomy once you are inside. You will get to know your passenger, as the seats sit right next to each other.

Drive them both and you will know RIGHT AWAY. Very different.

The steering feel on the Exige was absolutely unmatched. Every car has felt numb since.

I would say the only thing that was not great is the sound. It's a Toyota 4-banger. It's not going to sound exotic, because it ain't. Supercharger helps at full tilt but drones like a mutha on the highway.

I traded back to a 355, and I am happy. But I am 90% about the sound. There are many times I still miss the Lotus. It is a fantastic car, and a real bargain used.

11. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Here's a great story: wife drives home in the Lotus, alone, first time. Some kid comes up to her at a light and wants to race. She (of course) ignores him. Afterward I tell her, next time just rev it to 6000 and side step the clutch.

This would never happen had it been a 308 because:
    - I would not have driven it to work as I often did the Lotus (we were trading so I could take the kids home).
    - she would not have felt comfortable in a Ferrari alone, just because it is a Ferrari.
    - the punk in his civic might have beat her, and that would be very bad
    And
    - I would NEVER consider dumping the clutch in a 308. But in the Lotus... all day long :)

12. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    While I never thought anything of the Elise myself, its looks don't do much for me and its engine is from a Toyota, but some time behind the wheel gave me new found respect for this car. You have to drive one. Its not a substitute for a Ferrari, but it is one seriously fun to drive car. Drive one and then let us know what you think. May not be practical or as useful as many other sports car, but I think you are going to have a tough time honestly not feeling its a blast to drive.

Best regards,
    Dino

13. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Come on now, this is a Ferrari forum, so don't be surprised the 308 gets way more thumbs up than the Elise.

However, the Elise is a heck of a performance car. It's a bit small by US standards but quite adequate in Europe. And, it's one of the few stock street cars you can take to the track and drive it hard, and still drive it home almost 100% of the time.

Apparently this video was taken by a track-modified Elise. Not quite as much power on the straights but she catches up in the twisties: http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/trackdayvideos/208585/hitech_gt40_road_and_track_2007.html

14. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    We are all entitled to our opinions about different car brands or models. I have always wanted a Ferrari and never given much thought to Lotus cars. I thought the Esprits were nice looking, but I always prefered a 3X8 to an Esprit. The 3X8 may very well be a more desireable car than an Elise/Exige, especially since the Elise/Exige is more track car than road car and will appeal to probably a narrower group of enthusiasts.

The Elise/Exige models are cars that truly must be driven to be appreciated. They really can't be understood or appreciated without some time behind the wheel. The road test numbers or reviews just don't allow one to understand the car fully. Its kind of like describing how a hot fudge sundae tastes. You could write some comparisions or descriptions, but the reader just doesn't have a complete appreciation for it without actually tasting it.

While I would never choose one instead of a 3X8, now that I've driven an Elise I wouldn't mind having one to supplement my weekend fun car.

Best regards,
    Dino

15. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    #40 [email protected], Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    When I was shopping for my 308, I used Ebay as a benchmark to justify the 308 over the 911, the 911 fixer upper can be had for as little as $5k or $6K if you shop hard, and they are so common....in 1982 I drooled over a 911, but never pulled the trigger. When I had the means, the motive, and the opportunity, I went for the 308.

On any given day, if you look on Ebay, there are about 20 Ferrari 308's for sale, and there are about 700 Porsche 911' s for sale...the 911's are so common now, there's just no comparison.

16. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    my last track day at laguna seca there where 4 or 5 gt3 p-cars, and 5 or 6 exige/elises. they where running low 1:50's to mid 40's there. so not much posing in that group.

outside of some parade laps, the most i ever saw running at one time in the USA was 2 a (gt4 and a gts) 20 years ago at SIR. althougth i did see a few races in the shell ferrari challenge in the UK with various 308's....(god bless em brits)

short of a gr4 michellotto rally car, a 308 gts rank amongst the greatest gold chain car ever in my book. why else would one build a uncomfortable 44 inch tall mid-engine car with race bred packing and heritage for? the overwhelming popularity of gts over gtb in terms or numbers produce kinda proves my point. hail to the gtb owners

most people sure dont use them as much for sporting purpose i.e trackday, racing, auto-x as say a contemporary 911 and i applaud the ones that do. of all the 308 owners on this F-Chat what are the percentage of 308 owners do track days on a regular basis?

no argument from me that its a 25 year old beauty that still stirs the soul with people who drive, see, or hear them on the roads. i know i would choose the 308 for posturing and putting around and a elise for track days nearly everytime.

btw which car you prefer a opel speedster or an elise? i driven both on the track as well.

regards

17. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    What you cite is not really intended for track use. Here is a portion of the description: Perfect for prolonged everyday street use and capable of tolerating the most severe street use without any fade. Rotor friendly of course. The Hawk street brake pads will give you an impressive increase in stopping ability with very minimum pedal effort. The Hight Performance Street compound has the absolute lowest noise and dust levels, far below OEM equipment or any other high performance brake material. Excellent choice for autocrossing, some drivers schools, solo events, and rallys.

Go with the higher priced front pads and rotors/labor and you wind up with $2K.

Car really handles well on the track. I've been in a number of them.

18. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I like the Elise, but LOVE my 308.

Really, the bottom line is that if you have the true Ferrari bug, then nothing else will sate that desire like owning a Ferrari. If you have the Lotus bug, then the same applies.

My suggestion would be just as others have said - try them both. See which one makes you grin uncontrollably - thats the choice.

PDG

19. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Do you prefer an "apple" or an "orange"?

Seriously, comparing these cars side-by-side makes no sense whatsoever. Drive them both, and you'll know what I'm talking about. Both fine cars ---- but, ENTIRELY different in almost every regard.

20. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    we agree to disagree on the gold chain part :)

Neither car was mine so I didn't push them to 10/10s, but overall I preferred the Speedster's looks, torque and, if I was buying one of course the ~50% price of Elises.

21. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Very low. Funny, some do not even drive their 308 if it APPEARS like it MIGHT rain LOL!!!!!!! Sorry guys, but you know this is true.

Me? tracked the living $#!^ out of the 308 rain or shine, modded it big time... and frankly it would have been FAR better to have started with a Miata instead. But what the hey, it is only money and the car had good moments and typical Ferrari 308 moments. The 308 taught me so much about how to fix/tweak cars because, well, 308's need LOTS of love/attention.

If it was me, i'd get the Elise without even a thought. Fact the facts guys/gals, the 308 is an old outdated car so buy it for **emotion** because financially it makes no sense on a real, usable basis financially or for lower track time 'out of the box' plus TCO on a 308 that is tracker or regularly used vehicle will quickly syphon a normal guys wallet.

Been there, done that, took the classes, wrote the book, sold the farm....

22. gtbman

gtbman Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    i have decided to go with the 308, but being a newbie to the process, welcome advice as to how to best by long distance, since the cars i like are not where i live (northeast)

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #48 mike996, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    "point well taken, i guess when properly and wisely purchased, the 308 is an investment"

I don't buy into this myth at all. Let's look at the real figures: My 328 cost 86k and change when new in '89 per the sticker. I have been offered 55k for the car. Let's ASSUME that the guy who offered me 55k (and a cash deposit at the time) really meant it and paid 55k.

86,000 dollars in 1989 is 149,780 today http://www.coinnews.net/tools/cpi-inflation-calculator/. So that means the original buyer would have LOST nearly 2/3 of his/her "investment." There is NO way there is any money to be made by buying one of these cars. Sure, their value doesn't DECREASE as much as most other cars but you are losing money, just as you do with virtually any car.

OK, I'll admit that had you bought a 250 GTO for 18k, which you could have in the late 60's you would have done good. But a massed produced Ferrari? Forget it. Own/Drive it because it's a great car to own/drive but don't buy it thinking you are going to make money; you are going to lose money.

24. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Where in the NE, there is a HUGE gathering of 3x8 guys in New England who truly are excellent guys.

25. BassMan

BassMan Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #50 BassMan, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    I think you are missing the point. It was not an investment in '89 @ $86k, but it may have some upside in 2009 @ $35k.

Most agree that the values are very derpessed right now and with an economic recovery and continued reduction in good quality, well cared for examples, there may be some opportunities in the future.

Having said that, I would never "invest" in a car for financial profit. The only dividends I look for is "miles of smiles". By that metric, I've already recouped my investment :D