308 vs. Testarossa | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308 vs. Testarossa

Discussion in '308/328' started by shashi27, May 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Though I know what you guys are getting at, I don't think the Boxer/308/328 are truly "wedge" designs.

If you look at the subtleties of the design of their noses, from the nicely bowed profile, to the dished out or lowered center portion, there is much more to the design than just a door stop shaped wedge as found on other cars of the time like the Countach, 308 GT4, Lotus Esprit, Triumph TR8, etc.

I would consider the Boxer/308/328 to have more of a knife edge look.

When people, who admittedly aren't knowledgeable about exotic cars in general, see my car in person, think the car gorgeous and think it was built relatively recently.

Great design can be from a certain era AND be timeless, that is, attractive in any time. There is no doubt in my mind that these cars fit that description.

-F

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    No. I might have left by then, but mine was the red/tan next to it.

3. Schaden

Schaden Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    #53 Schaden, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    I remember having matchbox cars of both. The 308/328 has classic styling and is the best design of its time. But the Testarossa has an aura to it. It screams exotic. It's just a legendary car and the end of an era.
    The 308/328 live on in the 458 Italia, but Ferrari doesn't make anything equivalent to the boxer/testarossa anymore.

4. huichoval

huichoval Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2009
    texas
    Full Name:
    luis
    +100000000

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Jon, I take my hat off and salute your post.

"Hi I'm Robb."

"Hi Robb - says the group sitting in a circle."

"I am a 328 lover. No other car can do it for me in all the categories." Says Robb

"That's ok Robb, we've tried to like others also. Welcome to our support group for those that have reached the end of the journey." - says the group sitting in a circle. "Let's hear from our next owner, Augustine, what would you like to say?"

6. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    The 308 is a great Ferrari...not great starter Ferrari...great Ferrari. And if you had 9, only the first would be, in your words, the starter. The others are cause they are great :)

Old Lady? At 25? Sure wish I could find an "old lady" as my next girlfriend :) -- But then I will be labeled a "dirty old man"...again.

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Bullfighter has nailed it, as usual.

8. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    +1

And for the record...that's what I was trying to say :)

9. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The dude got it!

10. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #60 PhilB, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Drive a TR, drive a QV, drive a carb'd 308, and a 328. Drive a 355, a BB, and anything else you can get your hands around. Drive a 911, and a newer Vette as well.

Then decide which you like best, and search for the best example of that model you can find.

While maintenance costs should be a factor in the decision, it shouldn't be the only or main factor. If you love the car, you'll find a way to come up with the money for maintenance, or you will learn to do it yourself, or both.

The price appreciation factor should not measure into this decision at all.

You look to be about 60 miles from where I live, if you want to see/drive the best, most gorgeous '84 308QV out there :) you're more than welcome to come by.

Also, peruse the NYC part of F-Chat, the Jersey and NYC guys have quite a few get togethers especially this time of year, and you can see an assortment of cars up close and talk with their owners. I've met them a couple times and they are a really nice group of people.

Phil

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #61 miketuason, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    No wedge here. Just very beautiful flowing lines. Nothing to see. Move along. Move along. I agree the lotus esprit taking that trophy.

13. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

The reluctant second gear hasn't changed! it's not as hard as in the 328 so I still skip it for the first five minutes or so.

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great post, especially from my perspective of trying to decide between a 328 and a 360. As I mull the options, I keep returning to the 328, the fantasy car of my teen years. The newer 360 with its F1 transmission, more luxurious interior, and greater performance would be nice, but for me it's about fulfilling a dream, and no car would do that like a 328. So, I most likely will go with that when I buy. I originally thought that the car would be my "starter" Ferrari that I would sell to trade up with, but the more I think about it, it will probably be difficult to part with the car after owning it. Maybe I'll just have to get a larger garage so I can get her a sister. ;)

Oh, and you guys may be interested to know that old Ferrari's aren't the only cars that are difficult to shift into 2nd with -- my '07 Vantage has the same problem in cold weather. I like to call such quirks "character."

15. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree with pretty much everything Jon said with a slight adjustment to the above. If what you really want is a modern car and you buy a 308/328 to "have a Ferrari" then you'll probably be disappointed. However if you love all the cars and want to enjoy lots of different models, you can buy and enjoy a 308/328. Then when it's time to move up, they will repay you with excellent resale that is IMHO going to go up over the next five years. They are a great way to "drive your money" while looking at newer cars down the road. A TR is debatable because their values have fallen so far. Their values might go up but running costs will be higher. But you should still get your purchase price back when it's time to sell.

BTW my 308 from cold shifts pretty well into all the gears and gets better as it gets warm. Compared to my 928 it is Honda-smooth. IMO those who knock the shifting are used to speed-shifting or powershifting some modern box up the drag strip. Treat it properly with a slight pause between the gears, and it will shift from cold just fine.

I've also driven a number of flappy-paddle gearboxes (Ferrari F1, Maser Cambio, BMW DSG, Porsche PDK, Audi and VW) and they do nothing for me. I keep trying them and just can't stand it, totally boring to drive on the street, appeals to the video game generation I guess. The last was a new Cayman PDK and it was impressive but completely boring. Stick with a nice mechanical gearbox and enjoy driving the car.

16. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I love the classic cars and the modern ones. In my mind, they're kind of like apples and oranges, different categories. That's why, in a better world, I'd have both. Maybe someday.

As far as the newer cars and the F1 transmission, I've never driven one so I can't say I wouldn't hate it also. That said, driving a car that can go from 0-60 in around 4 seconds and shift in about 100-200 milliseconds excites me. For me, the performance that is possible with the flappy paddles (thank you, Mr. Clarkson) is what's appealing, not the novelty of shifting without using a stick. Also, I must admit that being able to put the car in automatic has its appeal too, like when you're stuck in Atlanta traffic or if you ever need your girlfriend/wife to drive the car for some reason (and hopefully, that reason doesn't arise very often).

As for the original point of the thread (and sorry that we've digressed a bit), I personally would go with a 3x8 over a TR. I'm not sure which will hold/increase its value better but, in my very humble opinion, the TR is indelibly linked to Miami Vice and the 80s, and that's not a good thing. Then again, it's a matter of personal taste and maybe I'm alone in feeling that way. If you like the car and want a V12 then go for it.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It really was a hell of a post.

IMHO that's the right philosophy. If/when I next move a bigger garage is a priority.

18. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #68 Scaledetails, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Not a good thing? And the 308 is linked to Magnum, so is that any better, PAL!!!

Sonny Crockett

19. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I gotta chime in - I love pretty much all Ferrari's. The way they're built, designed, drive. The topic here is TR's and 308's. I think the TR is fantastic. I drove the F512M around and thought it was awesome, I've also driven an early TR and felt it was great :) :) imho: I look at the 308, and the only thing that can distract from the awe of overwhelming beauty is the Lusso, 365GTB/4, 275GT, and the Dino's. I love the BB too for its 308-esque lines and that magnificent flat-12 engine.

As for "starter Ferrari", I think the Fiat X1/9 with its 4 cyl, electronic ignition, $10 a piece brake rotors contained by a very stylish Bertone body is a tough act to follow.

20. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My apologies if I've offended you, Scaledetails! We all have our opinions and that's just mine.

21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Not a problem ;)

22. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I gotta chime in - I love pretty much all Ferrari's. The way they're built, designed, drive. The topic here is TR's and 308's. I think the TR is fantastic. I drove the F512M around and thought it was awesome, I've also driven an early TR and felt it was great :) :) imho: I look at the 308, and the only thing that can distract from the awe of overwhelming beauty is the Lusso, 365GTB/4, 275GT, and the Dino's. I love the BB too for its 308-esque lines and that magnificent flat-12 engine.

As for "starter Ferrari", I think the Fiat X1/9 with its 4 cyl, electronic ignition, $10 a piece brake rotors contained by a very stylish Bertone body is a tough act to follow.

23. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Funny how it's the exterior that is getting so much mention. It's the interior of the TR that makes it easy for me to not compare the two. It has that rectangular lense to house the instrumentation which is far from the 308 gauge cluster, not to mention the other switches. This, for me, separates the two from comparison because the contemporary form of the TR's interior places it in a different category in my mind. Oh yeah it is a hot car, but it is too far evolved to compare in my mind.

24. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Seeing a TR drop in price to what a 308 QV is going for, is normal.

New cars depreciate and old cars appreciate. It's a cycle that shouldn't surprise anyone - especially car guys.

Thirty years from now, a depreciating 458 Italia will drop to what an appreciating 355 is going for.

Look where the 246 Dino was 20 years ago, and look at it today :)

25. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think Stephane was doing a pretty good impersonation of Sonny Crockett, not attacking you. :) And how dare you disparage Miami Vice and Magnum P.I.? Two of the greatest shows ever!