308 vs. Testarossa | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308 vs. Testarossa

Discussion in '308/328' started by shashi27, May 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1 ;)

2. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh but I didn't disparage Magnum P.I. :) To the contrary, that show is what introduced me to Ferraris and is a big part of me wanting to purchase a 328 (I realize it was a 308 in the show). And, for what it's worth, Miami Vice was an okay TV show. The problem I have with it as I think back is the awful 1980s styles. I'm talking about the pastel T-shirt, white suit with the sleeves pushed up, the 3-day-old stubble. They're just comical now. Magnum P.I., on the other hand, was less concerned about the latest fashion, and has aged a lot better as a consequence IMO.

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #78 Scaledetails, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    Wow, there are many of us (probably older than you I suppose based on your comment) that still live that lifestyle despite what the fashion trend may be (stubble, loafers, no socks, pastel shirts, linen suits and all), just ask Shamile in Florida. Don't go to Italy or you will be in shock, pastels are still around. I don't think I would call that comical, what's comical is that you have to be a follower, and some of us are not. FWIW, Miami Vice was 10 times the hit Magnum was, to this day, the Testarossa owes its gratitude to the show. If you had been around then you would remember the huge impact it had on our culture. Very much like what James Bond did to Aston Martin, and yes, I am also a big 007 fan.

4. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Absolutely as to the appreciation; all of us who procrastinate on buying a Testarosa now will be sorry in the near future, the Testarosa has a style of its own and 12 cylinders. Look what happened to the Daytona after 25 years the price has jumped to over $1,000,000 +.

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #80 Shamile, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    ...the scene...

...the secret Miami Vice HQ located in the gold coast shipping building....the slowly turning ceiling fans shadowing the hard fluorescent lights....making no difference with the heavy humid Miami air....

Crockett...cleaning his Ray bans on the lapel of his white linen Jean Marco Venturi suit....his Bren ten hanging low on the side of his black silk T shirt....no socks with his Italian loafers...

Tubbs...sharp edged Armani suit, tie and claspe...matching cufflinks..white shoes..

Tubbs: "Hey mon....it'sa going to be a hot one.."

Crockett: "yeah pal..."

Castellio....simple black suit...crisp white shirt...narrow black leather tie...at his desk looking down reading reports....

"Crockett, Tubbs" ...

"we have reports of some no good trash talk going on in the badlands….

Tubbs: Heyyyy…I tought we put these jokers away for good mon…..

Crockett: these 8 cylinder types always keep coming back…

Castillo….shut them down…

….out the door, a sparkling white Testarossa with STRAKES and 12 cylinders awaits….

Wwwwwweeeee……ka-roooar… 12 cylinders baby….

Crockett …pulling in the curvaceous door of the most outrageous, over the top Ferrari ever made.….putting on his raybans…..1st gear….floor it…

...down Biscayne Blvd….the palm trees swaying in the breeze slightly shading the unrelenting Miami heat….

…down route 1, past Sunrise, past Kendall…to the badlands …..the 308/328 forum….

Crockett…they never learn…a Testarossa is a super car exotic….the pinnacle Ferrari of the 80's

Tubbs…yeaaahh…mon….8 cylinders, who these cats think they’re messin with….78” wide, fastest car in the world for many years, more car mag covers than any other except the Countach...

Crockett….yeah pal…..not some all round nice Ferrari like a 328 but a true top echelon exotic that went head to head with Lamborghini’s Countach and Diablo…

Tubbs: look over there….they saw us…

Crockett: ....of course they saw us…no one mistakes a Testarossa for anything else on the road….don’t worry, top speed of 186 mph…those little 3.0 and 3.2’s aren’t going anywhere.

Tubbs…..yeahhh mon….like catchin fish…..very slow fish….

A quick turn , power up and sling in front of the slow cumbersome 308/328..

FREEZE…..MIAMI VICE !

You have the right to a 12 cylinder exotic….you may find one at the same price as your 328 but you’ll be sorry if you don’t take advantage of the bad times and get a mid engined 12 cylinder Ferrari while you can…just don’t blame us if the low price is forgotten as the maintenance bills eat you alive as you thought a Testarossa was really in the same league as a 308/328

Bullfighter: ...but the 328 is a pretty car, reliable, holds it’s value better….

MaranelloDave: ….pastel, linen, gold Rolexes, designer suits….who are you people….

Crockett: ….we're the fashion police….we represent an era of high style...the 80's...and crushed linen unconstructed suits and no socks will carry on for many years to come…..

MaranelloDave: ….everyone wears socks….who are you kiddin….and you need a shave too…

Tubbs: ….yeah yeah mon…..save it for the judge and don’t blame us if everyone is looking at the Testarossa and not your 308/328 at any Ferrari show….

Zoooooooooooooooommmmm

Tubbs: ….was that…..?

Crockett: ….yeah yeah….he’s untouchable in that Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster

Tubbs: ….I though we busted his ass mon….

Crockett: ….we had him good and a lock…but the girl’s license /ID did say 18 after all

...we’re gunning for you Shamile….

"maybe in your fast, cool sexy Testarossa , but not in some confiscated 308/328’s….."

:D

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

6. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Another great post by Shamile!!!

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "Wedge" is just a general category for cars that taper to the front and have pop-up lights. Yes, there are subtle differences, but there is a distinct "wedge" era from the '70s through the '80s. If you're not a serious car enthusiast, they do tend to look all of a kind.

Kind of like "fastback" -- would include the Porsche 356/911, Ferrari Daytona, Jag E-Type, etc.

Or the "clamshell fender" category, with the old Jag XK 120, Ferrari 166 Spyder, Morgan anything, Merc 540 K, etc.

I think you're being optimistic to assume that 355s will appreciate in our lifetime. My opinion is that cars will fall into a "restorable" or "recyclable" divide, with the pre-electronics cars being in the former.

That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of cool cars on the "recyclable" side -- I love the Aston V8 Vantage, Audi R8, etc. But long term they'll be hopelessly complicated and not worth keeping on the road.

True. Everything I ever learned about law enforcement was from these shows.

Also most of what I learned about shorts, socks and blazers.

8. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Just to close the loop on this I decided to move ahead and purchase the 83 Blue Sera euro QV with the gold wheels from Lars. She passed PPI today. Should be mine in a week.

Now about that drive from Tampa, FL to NJ, 1,100 miles...

Any reccomendations on a midway stop?

NC, VA, dunno. Open to suggestions.

I can't wait!!!!

9. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Naggs Head NC.

Good luck on your trip back, that looks like a really nice car.

Jim

10. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Any Ferrari is a good Ferrari!

John

11. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    How about shipping her? There are a couple very good shippers. One of which is in Orlando.

I'd op for Southern VA for the rest stop.

Just remember that if drive you have to stop at South of the Border in SC. Get a picture of the car in front of Pedro!

12. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A decent option, but I would recommend driving her home. I drove home the last car I purchased from San Antonio to Atlanta and it was a great trip. Getting acquainted with the car, talking to folks along the way about it, the open road -- it's an experience I'll never forget. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of stopping over in New Orleans on a Friday night. Very stressful in terms of driving and parking (too much chaos!). I suggest you stop in a place that's easy to get into an out of.

Oh, and congratulations on the new car!