308 Weather Strip/Window Rubber | FerrariChat

308 Weather Strip/Window Rubber

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andy 308GTB, Nov 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    #1 Andy 308GTB, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm halfway through re-furbishing the interior.
    I've done the leather/vinyl (Gliptone/Liquidleather kit £50 - superb product)
    I've just started fitting new carpet (bargain - £129)

Next job will be to replace the rubber on the doors.
    I've been aware for years that this stuff is difficult to source. The piece I am desperate for is the external rubber weather strip that sits at the base of the door glass (see picture). The piece round the rear quarterlight isn't so important.

I spoke to Maranello's (UK) and they groaned... they suggested fetching some in and they would see if they could match it up. I don't hold out a lot of hope - the guy I spoke to has been there 37 years, so I reckon he knows when to groan!

Has anyone here actually replaced this rubber - it must be possible. It could be a Fiat item, I guess.
    I'll probably get it off the car and then start making enquiries with the various trim firms in the UK, unless someone pipes up here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #2 PittsS2APilot, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    If you are talking about the window channel felt, I went through this 2 years ago with my GTB. What you need is part # AS134096 that you can order from any automotive glass company. I went to a local auto glass repair shop and they had it in about 5 working days. Its called "CRL Flexible Flocked Rubber Glass Run Channel for 1963-1967 Ford and Mercury, 1966-1971 Fairlane and Comet and 1972-1975 International Truck - 96 in long" and it is a perfect fit. The price is around $20 for the 96" stick. I used a black RTV to attach it in the channels. Here's a link. Joe

http://www.technologylk.com/crl-flexible-flocked-rubber-glass-run-channel-for-1963-1967-ford-and-mercury-1966-1971-fairlane-and-comet-and-1972-1975-international-truck-96-in-long-lk-AS134096.html

3. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Thanks Joe, I don't mean the channel felt - that needs replacing too but I think that shouldn't be too painful to find (but thanks for the link).
    What I need is the external strip that sits at the top of the door where it meets the glass.

4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #4 AZDoug, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    Did you put this stuff in the front channel, all the way from bottom to top of the front fixed glass piece? Or was this rear channel, inside door?

I have my doors apart at the moment and the usual places (Rutland, GT) seem to be out of the Ferrari stuff.

I would assume GTS channel is same as GTB channel

Thanks,
    Doug

Thanks,
    Doug

5. PittsS2APilot

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Doug, Im guessing the GTB and GTS use the same stuff? The GTB has the channel "inside" the door too. It takes all of the 96" stick to do one GTB door but I'll bet you can do both GTS doors with one stick. With my GTB I used this all the way around the door where the glass slides into the channel with the window up and its in the channel "inside the door" when the window is down. With my GTB its a little tricky to make the upper forward corner but this stuff fits into the channel very nice and snug. Just run a bead of RTV and push it in. Just dont make the mistake of putting "anything" on the felt. Some people make the mistake of lubricating the felt and it just makes a mess. The felt works best when its dry. I can't take credit for this discovery though, another Fchatter made the find. Joe

6. VeloceSpace

VeloceSpace Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Folks, VeloceSpace specializes in rubber and upholstery for Italian cars, especially Alfa and Ferrari. We carry both the external window scraper (rubber) and the window channel guides; we can have these for you by the end of the month. Andy, can you post a few photos? That will ensure that we get the right parts for you.

We also have the rear quarter window seals, as well as those for the front (fixed) vent glass. Please visit our website for our complete line of Ferrari parts, straight from the OEM factory in Italy.

Thanks.

Patrick

www.velocespace.com

7. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Thanks for the info Patrick - I'll be in touch.

8. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Did you have to disassemble the door any further than removing the glass to change this stuff?? The rear window channel probably removes pretty easy (GTS), buy the front is a little more complex.

How hard was it to get the old stuff out, just pull it out. or did you have to scrape old cement and pieces of the rubber channel out of the metal runners?

Thanks,
    Doug

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The cars were built differently over the years..

If you have the rubber lip, IIRC it's made onto the chrome trim..

The earlier cars had a "fuzzy" material that was on a cloth covered metal strip and it's a piece apart from the chrome trim but pop riveted on at the same time.

I got some of the fuzzy material at Reoriginals.

The fixed glass is held in with material like the quarter glass, except on very early 308GTBs where it's done differently, again!

Lots of variations.

10. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Mine's a late 1980 GTB - and has the metal strip with fuzzy material on it. I got some from the good folks at Maranello (UK) years ago.

11. PittsS2APilot

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I had my door apart to overhaul the window motor. I was able to replace the felt without removing the channels. It pulled the old felt out without too much effort. The hardest part was working the felt back in the channel with the window still in the door. The second door goes much faster since you figure things out on the first.

12. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    This stuff is perfect. Just finished install today.

It fits like it belongs there,and looks great and now the windows don't rattle in old dried out decaying channel strip.

It took two 8' pieces to do front and rear channel on my GTS, though I have about 6 feet left over.

Doug

13. PittsS2APilot

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Doug, Glad it worked out for ya. That's what is so great about this forum. Most any issue you have, "somebody" on here has already had to deal with it. A wealth of info. Glad I could be of some help. Joe

14. 87 GTS

87 GTS Karting

Dec 24, 2013
    Sevo in Australia
    Full Name:
    Glenn Hamnett
    Hi all in trying to buy the 2 external window scraper rubbers for my 328 from Veloce Space its saying its a untrusted site has any one bought these rubbers from them and had any problems I really need these parts for my resto or has any one got a new set that they would like to sell Thanks Glenn

15. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    #15 Andy 308GTB, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Eurospares sell them - but you need to look in their catalogue for the list of available rubber:
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/eurospares_cat_09.pdf

Look at pages 104/105 for a 308 it's LH/RH EXT GLASS SCRAPER

If you are struggling with Veloce Space, I would try calling Patrick there, he's a top guy and may remember my search for this part!
    As I recall they get a huge number of emails, so a phone call can be best.

16. 87 GTS

87 GTS Karting

Dec 24, 2013
    Sevo in Australia
    Full Name:
    Glenn Hamnett
    Thanks mate

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome, Glenn

18. 87 GTS

87 GTS Karting

Dec 24, 2013
    Sevo in Australia
    Full Name:
    Glenn Hamnett
    Thanks mate

19. 87 GTS

87 GTS Karting

Dec 24, 2013
    Sevo in Australia
    Full Name:
    Glenn Hamnett
    Andy got them from veloce space thanks

20. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    You're most welcome - glad to help

21. 87 GTS

87 GTS Karting

Dec 24, 2013
    Sevo in Australia
    Full Name:
    Glenn Hamnett
    Had dramas with Veloce space they had trouble with their supplier had to get them through Motion Ferrari products very helpful they have every rubber what you need.

22. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
  23. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thread resurrection!

Did anyone get any joy with the rubber type trims which rivet along the door edge?

24. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    It's no fun tracking it down anymore, even Superformance sell it now!
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/fittings.html

Outer Window Scraper Moulding
    £69.95

25. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ah, thanks Andy. I was looking at SF but under the glass section! Just got a delivery from them yesterday aswell...Doh!

Don't suppose you can find the fuel filler flap rubber buffers...looks like Im useless at finding things!