308 Weber to TWM throttle body and electromotive | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Weber to TWM throttle body and electromotive

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cavallo_nero, Feb 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Thanks Mark. hey, what is your take on the injector rating i am using. Do i really need to go to something like 19 or 22 lbs/hr? instead of the 26lbs/hr that i have currently?

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Ideally you want the smallest injetor that will provide enough fuel. The reason is smaller injectors give you better control at low power. So you would be better off with the samller 19 or 22 lb, but I don't honestly think you'd actually notice much if any difference. My first blower engine had 36 lb injectors and simple multipoint injection and it idled and drove at low power much better than the OEM CIS system did and got better fuel milage too. The 55lb injectors with 60 psi fuel pressure (making them more like 62 lb injectors)in my second set-up were another story. There was a very noticable improvement going from multipoint injection to sequentail and even then I was thinking an upgrade to a motec (started but never finished) with individual cylinder mapping was what I needed to get the idle mixture right.

I don't think you're anywhere near the problem zone yet, I wouldn't worry. but to Paul's washing the cylinder point, you won't need baseline maps that call for 90% from the injectors, 70% would be more like it.

3. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Actually, I was hoping you found a magical way to get 350HP out of the 308... :) I have a A/F meter mounted in my car to monitor the fuel mixure at all times. Might be something to consider. In addition, the Electromotive gives you logging (limited time span) and real time monitoring with a laptop connection. Also, I assume you will put the car on a dyno after you get it running to dial in everything include A/F. Looking forward to your posting the dyno numbers.

4. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

30 lb's on my 308 and she idles just fine . .. I get near 80% duty cycle at 8000 rpm FWIW . .. higher rpm with EFI has an effect on the duty cycle 'cause the open and close time of the injector becomes a more significant relative perecentage of the event . .. just keep that in mind when talking to people that do EFI for lower rev motors.

Sean

5. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Hi Paul, i wish i had 350 HP. I do plan on going to the dyno - but keep in mind it will be at altitude - about 5500 feet above sea level. I bet at sea level i might be around 300 HP with my euro cams, hi comp pistons and dual exhaust. Sean, thank you for the input on your 308. What HP do you think you have? 30lb injectors - are you running sequential? what EFI setup do you have - throttle bodies like my TWM??. After hearing the responses from you all, i feel a bit better about my setup with 26lb injectors. I do have an A/F readout in my wintec software for the electromotive - and i will be paying attention to that number - hopefully my O2 sensor will deliver an accurate reading....

6. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    210 hp at rear wheels and it's a bit rich.

No sequential injection . . Haltech E6x . .. stock intake.

Really looking forward to your power results . . . I'm doing another motor with thunder cams, IRL springs and Ti retainers, etc. but might need to do what you're doing with the intake to make power.

Sean

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Do the carby intake manifolds have to be modified?

Didn't they design it to be a swap from 40 DCNF Carbs to the TWM throttle bodies without any mods?

Thanks. And keep up the great work.

8. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Yes, modified the carby intake manifolds with a cutout for each injector to accomodate the injector spray. because of the diameter differences, we tapered the plastic spacer under the throttle bodies to go from 44mm down to 40 mm. It is not a straight swap by any means - lots of work to be done here if you want to use your original dcnf linkage, levers, and velocity stacks.

9. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #34 cavallo_nero, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Time for another update. In order to raise the fuel pump high enough to be above the chassis, I had to dump the stock fuel filter. I then cut the bracket on the new pump to fit up higher and to the right of the fuel tank. The new trick flow filter flows 150 GPH (way more than I need), and has a reuseable 45 micron filter. In order for the correct injector spray into the manifolds, I had to rotate 2 of the throttle bodies (front bank) to orientate the injector spray onto the back of the intake valve. Once I did this, the linkage did not want to work correctly, and TWM was a few months out for making new levers for the throttle bodies – I don’t think they would have worked anyway – long story. So, I removed all 4 throttle plates and shafts from those 2 throttle bodies and flipped them so that the throttle plates open in the opposite direction – thus enabling me to use the stock linkage with hardly any issues (barely noticeable in the second pic). In doing this, I will only have one idle adjustment screw active as well as one throttle stop (which will not be a problem because I will use very precise heim joints. And, because of this, I will have to source new springs that rotate in the opposite direction to accommodate switching the throttle plates. We did however, grind down the throttle body casting where the shaft protrudes from the body – to accommodate a better connection for the throttle stop and idle adjustment screw. Heim joint rod ends are on the way, and we will most likely have to fabricate the connecting rod (long nut) in between them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  11. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #36 cavallo_nero, Mar 27, 2008
    some more updates: I am ready to bolt the intake manifolds and tb units to the car. been a long road. heim joint rod ends are incredible. My machinist carved out a throttle stop and idle stop lever for one of the throttle bodies since i lost that functionality by re-orientating the throttle bodies to accomodate the correct injector spray. see pics. Hopefully the next post (in a few weeks at least) i will have good news, ie: car fired up and is tuneable......

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    very nice.
    it's the less obvious things such as linkage that really trim out the entire package, and are often underappreciated.

You and I should be firing our respective engines up at about the same time as the Pizzaman's CIS to Weber car. Should be excellent results I hope for everyone.

It looks great - have fun and I look forward to your great work!

OBTW - you are running 40mm butterflies?

13. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Looking good!

I only have experience with TWM TB replacements for DCOE (not DCNF) Webers but the male and female levers that connect pairs of TBs are similar. I had a lot of trouble synchronizing all the throttles (and keeping them synchronized) with the levers provided so I wound up having to modify them. You're better off using as much of the original Ferrari linkage as you can.

As far as I know, TWM does not supply reverse throttle shaft springs. If you can't find a generic spring to modify and install, You can make your own. Any good industrial supplier (MSC for example) will sell you a spring winder and music wire, in the correct diameter, at a reasonable price, so you can wind your own springs.

14. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #39 cavallo_nero, Apr 2, 2008
    Intake manifolds and throttle bodies are mounted to the car. Fuel rails installed with injectors. Fuel pressure regulator and fuel return system is plumbed in to pasenger fuel tank and bottom of fuel pump (for priming purposes). Injector wiring harness is complete – had to daisy chain 12 volts and get a bit creative since 2 injectors are firing at the same time due to the staged sequential operation of the tec gt. Throttle position sensor had to be reworked because it had to work backwards due to turning around one bank of throttle bodies. Due to turning it around, drilled out the backside of sensor to be fitted on throttle shaft. But then the brake booster manifold fitting was in the way of the connector to the TPS, hence I did away with connector and directly soldered on leads , heat shrink wires and fill with jb weld. Getting there, got to plumb in fuel system input with filter and pressure guage. Need to rework PCV system as the fuel rails are in the way of the crossover PCV tubing – am looking into flex line for this – necessary if I want to go with stock airbox. But for now, I will fit the individual air cleaners for tuning purposes.

15. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #40 cavallo_nero, Apr 11, 2008
    More progress, Fuel return, pressure regulator, filter and gauge all installed. Fuel pressure test passed, pressure now adjusted to 43 PSI. fit check with stock airbox is perfect. Need to redo the PCV system because the fuel lines are in the way. throttle linkage clears everything and is smooth as silk. Injector wire harnes is connected. All sensor parameters (baseline and max) are programmed into the BIN file and downloaded to the ECU. I hope to attempt to start the car up this weekend!!!!!!

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    VERY Cool.
    What are you using for air horns? The TWM trumpets?
    Do you know the throttle body diameter?

Outstanding work! Looking forward to that first Vrrooom!

17. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    thanks Russ, i am fitting the stock air horns - had to carve out the tops of the throttle bodies for that to work. these are 44 mm bodies - had to taper the plastic spacer between throttle body and intake manifold for that transition. I think i am the first to utilize just about all the stock linkage levers, stock air horns and stock air box on this mod

18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Congrats. That setup looks very good. Looking forward to read up on your end results.

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The more I see it, I really like the way you have set this up with the fuel rails in the "v". Just so you know, I initially had a bit of a problem in the Weber set up on the 110F San Antonio summer days untill I started blowing outside air down the V. Just something to watch for as it does get hot under there.

You mention your high compression pistons - what compression ratio are you running? I am assuming stock 78 cams?

This is a terrific project and brilliant execution.

20. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Hey Russ, glad you like the setup. I always thought this system would best compliment your porting, exhaust and cam endeavors. it has been a long road, and now the home stretch. Couldnt get the system to start the car last nite, after massive troubleshooting, i discovered the power harness from electromotive was wired incorrectly (this was wired at the factory by them). so now i am loking into the best solution - geez man. I believe my borgo pistons are 10:1 or 9.5:1, they are for the ferrari daytona. my car is a euro, so stock euro 308 cams if that makes a difference. fuel rails down the center was the only to orientate teh injector spray to the back of the valve - rails on the outboard gave a fuel shot against teh side of the intake manifold. On the valley getting hot, i thoroughly insulated the "V" area with 2 layers of hi tech insulation along with the coolant pipe going down the center. see my vapor lock thread. drawing in cooler air from the drivers side duct helps a lot also, but now that you mention it Russ, i just may insulate those fuel rails too (like i did on the carby setup).

21. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Sweet! :)

22. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    after re-doing some wires in the power harness, the car fired right up!!!!!! what a sound, i think it sounds better than with the webers because there is no restriction in the bores of the throttle bodies. I put the wheels on and went for a quick drive (about 1 mile down the canyon). the TBs needs to be synchronized, i think i am runing a bit rich. but from first inpression, the throttle response is very snappy,, at low RPMs the car really pulls, much better than before, didnt take it above 3500rpm yet. Feels like i picked up a few extra cylinders over the weber setup. also, very smooth transitions, not a hint of any dead spots, unlike the webers that would stumble or surge at very gradual acceleration. all i can say is WOW, this was a good mod for sure. plan of attack is to set up the computer and TBs as best i can, and go to the dyno in a week or so - depending on the weather in colorado.

23. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Been following this closely .Very well done .Your first impressions are very incouraging especially the low end responce .I'm keen to hear how tuning goes .

24. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Good stuff! Are you sure the TB's aren't well synchronized and that it might be running rich? If you have both those problems I don't think it would be feeling as good and snappy as you mention unless your Webers were way off.

25. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Well done!

It should only get better once you get all the tuning worked out.