308 Weber to TWM throttle body and electromotive | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308 Weber to TWM throttle body and electromotive

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cavallo_nero, Feb 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    meee toooo about the final numbers. i wish i could find someone who has the wintec electromotive software running on a 308 where i can just look at their BIN file and compare. that would be too easy......i still cant believe the sound out of these throttle bodies - nothing like the ol webers, very raw sounding - shreiking - took my buddy for a ride yesterday and the hair on the back of his neck is still upright!!! He definately noticed a difference from before - definite improvement - but not good for listening to the stereo - lol..

2. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    I've been running the Wintec3 for about 5 years - EFI and a bunch of other mods. PM me with your email address and I'll send you my .bin file. I’m surprised Fred did not forward it on to you. Perhaps he lost it. The trick is to get the car running good with a minimum of options turned on and just adjusting the base parameters. For instance, leave the O2 option turned off until everything else is set. Also, as stated before, verify your timing with a light. The last thing you will do, if necessary, is play with the VE table.

3. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #78 cavallo_nero, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi folks. Here is an update on the car so far. Went to the dyno yesterday, and made a lot of tweaks to the software and the car itself (linkage). We backed off the throttle at 6600rpm for the pulls, but as you can see from the graphs, the car was still increasing in power at that point, so, I assume the peak power is somewhere around 7200 – 7800 rpm, since i can pull strong to 7800 rpm while driving. Anyway, the car made 207 HP at the wheels at 6600 rpm. Not bad numbers for a mile hi, although the mechanic said the dyno was normalized for sea level. I think I can make more power, but we had to quit for several reasons. Once the engine got warmed up, the linkage was sticking on the TWMs – I think I can fix that. Also, for driveability, I need to pull MAP from several ports on the intake manifolds rather than just one – so as to smooth out the signal – this fluctuation in MAP made it real hard to dial in. At any rate, I am pleased with my results – up a good 25 hp from my weber setup. The car pulls strong now up to redline – 7800rpm. Where as before I could only pull hard to about 6200 rpm at this altitude with the webers. Once I get these things resolved, I would like to go back to the dyno and do more tweaks. In the graphs attached, solid lines is the good run, and the dotted lines are previous runs the same day – noticeable improvements. Any suggestions on timing? I am starting at 14 degrees, linear to 4000 rpm with 40 degrees, and 40 degrees to redline. also, any comments on the A/F ratio????
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is great stuff - I always kind of thought that the TBs would be about 20 hp over the Webers - of course remember you are also going from a 32mm choke in a 40mm carb to wide open 44mm straight through. With the usual 17% correction, thatputs you at about 250 hp at the flywheel, which is very good for a 3 liter car in that rpm range.

If I read it right, your A/F hovers around 14. USUALLY, power is best made 12.7 - 13.2, so to richen across the board will help at high MAP and keep low MAP (cruise) about where you have it, I would suggest you try. It will also be safer with your compression and advance, which seems about right FOR A TWO VALVE.

I also see you have two airbox types - which did you use and was there a difference?

Again---terrific results!

5. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
  6. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I sure learned a lot yesterday at the dyno. All testing was done with the individual air cleaners in place so i could access the linkage when needed. I think the stock airbox with the extra cold air coming in will give better power on the road – so I may want to richen er up a bit anyway. I still need to resolve the issues with throttle sticking and grabbing stable manifold pressure – but all in all, I am very happy with the results so far. And as a bonus – no vapor lock issues!!

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Everything's looking good, great job!

I'll echo Russ's words that you want to add fuel and get the A/F closer to 13 and it will make more hp.

Have you got the issues you had early on all worker out now then?

On the timing, the dyno is the best place to answer what the right number is. get the mixture right first, then add 2 degrees, if hp goes up add 2 more, if hp goes down try 2 less. 5-6 runs and you'l have it perfect.

8. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    yes Mark, all issues resolved except for the throttles sticking and grabbing stable manifold pressure. the stock airbox fits snug and there are no clearance issues - note, i had to redesign and reroute pcv system for the airbox, among other things. and i will get it to run richer - just a flick of 2 numbers in the software - hit RETURN, and the ECU is programmed to a new mixture - no mo changing jets!!! 10 years of that action wears on ya....

stay tuned (no punk intended) for further updates!!!!!

9. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

Cool! . . what compression ratio you running? Also I'm assuming stock euro cams . . you happen to know the specs on 'em?

I'm close to 12:1 with stock cams, 36 deg advance .. made 210 hp at rear wheels . .. stock intake though . . . curious what that intake setup will do for me :).

Any head work?

Sean

10. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Sean, I am running 9.8:1 borgo pistons, not sure what the euro cam specs are for my car, but i got em. with your comp ratio, this setup would be great for your car - especially at sea level - these TBs deliver a whole lot of air air!!!!!

11. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Thanks for the info ... more power :).

12. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #87 cavallo_nero, Jun 11, 2008
    Time for an update on the conversion. The car is running sooo smooth, no lag or any flat spots in the throttle – runs right up to 8000 rpm at altitude without a hitch (the ol webers stopped pulling at 6200rpm at 5200 feet above sea level) – pulls like a mule. And the sound just blows away the webers – possibly due to no restriction in the throttle body throats. Car fires up just by bumping the key and no foot on the throttle. And there is absolutely no vapor lock, and the garage doesnt stink of gas anymore. I am very happy with the conversion, electromotive and TWM. I have noticed that spark plugs that run off the same coil and the same injector firing will have different coloring and I cannot figure out why. Different throttle bodies, but again, same firing from the computer (note electromotive tecgt has phased sequential – meaning I get a waste spark and a waste shot of fuel for the same 2 cylinders). Plug on one cylinder shows perfect tan color – while its sister plug shows much darker and sooty – any comments on that would be appreciated. Got the stock airbox hooked up and bringing in cool air from both sides made a big difference - at the dyno i had individual air cleaners installed and they were pulling in hot air - so i think i am making more power with stock airbox than when at the dyno. Still tweaking parameters with my laptop – starting, accel and decel enrichments, enrichments due to ambient air temp and water temp, but after the last dyno run – my mixture looks to be spot on. I want to hook up a barametric pressure sensor because I think that will work better than relying on the O2 sensor for altitude variations. Last dyno run – was making 221hp at the wheels at 7900rpm and was still climbing!!

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Great project.

The differences are are normal and due to 3 things. Injectors vary slightly, the TBs are probaly not in perfect sync and the flow numbers are probaly not identical for all cylinders. Most ECUs have a cylinder trim feature to help with this, motec actually lets you tune each cylinder.

14. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    yes, i agree that i can do a cylinder trim, but these 2 plugs are on the same phased circuit, so a trim would affect both cylinders. plugs 1 and 4 by the way, same bank, same cam, but different throttle bodies - so i can double check the sync - thanks

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Excellent results!!
    I'd love to see the torque numbers as I would expect it to breathe better down low as well.

I've found that the warm/cold air deal does make a difference. also be careful with the stock airbox if it has sound insulation - it can effectively lower the amount of filter area available. Big thread on this in the old days.

OK - so where's a photo of the FINAL installation, eh???? :)

Yea!!

16. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #91 cavallo_nero, Jun 11, 2008
    final installation - pretty clean. most folks at the shows couldnt tell i yanked the carbs. since i have the non US model, i had no insulation in airbox. tapping the airbox into the drivers side scoop is letting a lot of cold ram air and giving the driver the sound sensation that the passenger has, and everything clears the oil filter with those two ports instead of one down the middle. (see my thread on modding the airbox)

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    You said they were together, sorry. The only think you have is the TB sync then. A note here is that you can correct a head flow or injector imbalance by unsyncing the TBs a bit too.

18. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #93 cavallo_nero, Apr 8, 2010
    Time for another update on the conversion. I have finally installed the vacuum manifold to capture vacuum from the rear bank (4 cylinders) for the MAP sensor. Before, I was only getting vacuum off one cylinder and that was playing havoc with the ECU. With only one cylinder connected, the MAP signal would fluctuate as much as 30KPa for any given load or RPM. Now, with this manifold plumbed in, the MAP readings are VERY stable (fluctuates 2-3 KPa max), which makes for a VERY tuneable setup.
    My car runs fantastic now, I don’t think I picked up any more peak HP from before the manifold install because the car was tuned for WOT. But, the driveability is greatly improved, off throttle response, cruising, accelerating and starting are seamless. This has been a great project for me, I learned a lot and this has caught the eye of Forza MAG. Looks like this mod, my car and me will be featured in one of their issues. i will keep you all posted on that!
    happy motoring!!!!!!1

19. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #94 SMS, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    In this post and another you described your fuel system layout. Did you remove the right side tank and add a fitting for the return line, or did you use the tiny original hose fitting and find it adequate?
    Thanks.

20. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #95 hyenahf, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    fantastic thread and conversion...

any chance you can post up the updated dyno graph?

cheers

hf

21. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    In this post and another you described your fuel system layout. Did you remove the right side tank and add a fitting for the return line, or did you use the tiny original hose fitting and find it adequate?
    Thanks

no, I used the original small return line to the tank, and it seems more than adequate.

as soon as i get some tuning issues sorted - i will go back to the dyno and post a graph. currently i am having TPS issues.

22. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    very nice set up , Love TWM , I built a 1957 chrysler 300c with TWM IDA ITB's running FAST ecu , Gary and Hank at TWM are great guys .

23. FJS308

FJS308 Rookie

Mar 15, 2009
    Suffolk County, NY
    any updates, what an awesome thread!!!

24. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hey Giovanni, did you ever get your hands on your final dyno run? I would love to see the curve!

25. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Doesn't that vacuum set-up,, equalize the vacuum in the intakes,, slightly....?

Nice read.
    :)

Edwardo