308 Winter Maintenance / Cam Seals / Cam Drive Bearing | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308 Winter Maintenance / Cam Seals / Cam Drive Bearing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jford10014, Nov 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#76 dwhite, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I found this thread shared lots of very good insight to changing the outer cam drive bearings.

As I am doing it on my car and was not totally happy with the methods used to push the new bearings in, I figured I would add a new idea and technique to this procedure. I had a sleeve made of aluminium by an engine builder/machinist I know. My car is an 83 qv and uses the 17x40x12 bearing(SKF 6203 2RSH).

The sleeve is slightly larger than 17mm and slightly smaller than 40mm so it easily slides down the shaft and into the recess for the bearing, with almost no wiggle. Had it made an inch long. I will let you know how it works.

And thanks again to everyone who took the time to write up their experiences, know how and also shared their frustrations on certain aspects of the job - those damn woodruff keys.

miketuason likes this.
  2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    How do you plan installing the bearing with the help of this sleeve? Hammering onto the sleeve? While normally this would be a good way to install a bearing, in our case it will apply axial installation force onto the inner bearing. So be careful.
    The best method would be with the help of the nut and thread on the shaft end, mounting the bearing onto the shaft and into the housing.

Best from Germany
    Martin

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Agree 100% don't want to be banging on it. That is exactly what I don't want to do, but folks are using the old bearings to push in the new. That means your putting extra strain on the threads and unnecessary added drag and mass to move over the shaft. This will smoothly move down the shaft and allow me to press it into the recess. This piece will be used when then the bearing is down the shaft a ways, by way of the washer from the pully and a couple of additional washers.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    What? Those threads are torqued to 100Nm in its application. How much force is going to require to push in a seal?

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

It's a bearing, not a seal. You do it your way.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    OK, Toss the bearing in a freezer over night and it will go in easier.

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yep normally if it was just going into a recess that would help, but this is a press fit down a shaft and into a recess, so cooling it would make the inner race tighter and drag more down the shaft, it would help it into the recess. Heat would help the inner race to go down the shaft but impeed the outer going into the recess.

I'm confident it will go in fairly easy with what I have and will let everone know, once I get the bearings. Delayed these days as usual per UPS. Grrrrr.